Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honda Accord, CR-V Warranties Extended

"The 2008-2011 Accord and 2010-2011 CR-V are being issued an extended warranty program for its four-cylinder models that will provide a free fix for an engine issue. According to the Japanese automaker, the four-cylinder engine is susceptible to excessive oil consumption under certain circumstances that create deposits on the piston rings. Those piston rings can degrade if the engine is regularly under hard acceleration while cold and filled with low-quality gasoline.

“All these conditions happening at the same time are rare, but if they do occur, deposits may form over years of driving under these conditions,” Honda said in the service bulletin. “If the oil control rings begin to stick because of the deposits, the customer may subsequently complain about excessive oil consumption.”
Honda service technicians will perform an oil consumption test to determine whether the engine is consuming or burning an unusually high amount of oil and if it is, the company will replace all four pistons or even if the engine block if it has been damaged. The engine warranty will now cover eight years or 125,000 miles."

I am just posting to show that even the so called reliable cars have their problems. I almost bought a year old accord from a dealer (2010) with 17,000 miles on it since it was within my budget.

My 2011 Cruze LT1 has not used one ounce of oil so far (knock on wood - hand hitting head) in 41,000 miles. I am glad I bought my Cruze and I would buy another one. It has been a good car and is fun to drive. It handles good without driving like a truck with tons of road noise like our 2007 Mazda 3s.

By the way I am not dissing Honda I like them and have owned a Civic and was very happy with it I am just saying all cars have their problems.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Honda has a history of transmission issues too

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
All cars that burn hydrocarbons have carboned up oil rings with mileage. Interesting that Honda is taking a look at it. Wonder if GM will follow suit?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,537 Posts
Toyotas early 1.8 and 2.4 and Hondas 3.5 are notorious oil burners as well.

But yeah, as great as the 2003-7 Accords were (one of the best used car buys a few years ago IMO), Honda really slipped in quality with the 08-12. Toyota did around the same timeframe too - coasting by while the American-owned companies scrambled to restructure themselves.

As a daily driver, I'll take a nice balance of being worthwhile to drive and decent reliability over one end of the spectrum (German) or the other (Corolla). 👍

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
"Takata, the Japanese supplier linked to faulty airbags in millions of cars, widened the scale of potential recalls in the United States on Tuesday to 34 million vehicles."

As reported on the news today, does our Cruze have these airbags?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The Honda k24 motor has a history of oil ring issues. Even the '12 Civic Si had this problem almost immediately. Honda's practice was to have the dealer measure oil consumption and then replace the rings or motor.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
I have a Honda. I didn't buy into reliability...it looked real appealing and was a great road trip car. It's cheap to maintain and I expect any issues that may occur will be the transmission.

Just because there is a history of reliability does not mean the future is the same. You will ALWAYS risk it with any car you buy. Hence why some BMW'S will never break down and others always do

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
"Takata, the Japanese supplier linked to faulty airbags in millions of cars, widened the scale of potential recalls in the United States on Tuesday to 34 million vehicles."

As reported on the news today, does our Cruze have these airbags?
I was never able to identify who makes the airbags in the Cruze. Plug your VIN into this website and find out. Of course, you'll have to wait a day or so as I'm sure it's being slammed by everyone with a car in the US right now.

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

·
Registered
379 Posts
My Mazda6 was a part of the Takata airbag inflator recall.

The notice indicated that Mazda would contact me as soon as they had the parts in stock.:uhh:

Almost every part that failed on my Mazda had the Ford Oval or FoMoCo embossed on it.

All 6 coil packs, the thermostat housing assembly, starter, seat belt latch (for the Takata labled seat belt)....etc....all Ford parts.

Even the radiator cooling fan controller had a Ford label under the Mazda label.

In my experience, Ford is not very reliable.

Bank one catalytic converter (the back one of course) was the first Mazda unique part to fail at about 180,000 miles.

I've seen enough 5.4 Fords spit thier plugs entirely out of the engine like sunflower seeds. The fix appears to be to epoxy them in place in later models because they don't come out. Even when you want it to. You might get it out without the center electrode....that's still down in there.

Toyotas had sludge problems in Camries, oil consumption problems in Corollas, and whatever the "unintended acceleration" ended up being.

Subarus eat head gaskets.

Even Mercedes Benz experienced a well documented decline in reliability since the '90s.

No car manufacturer is immune.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a Honda. I didn't buy into reliability...it looked real appealing and was a great road trip car. It's cheap to maintain and I expect any issues that may occur will be the transmission.

Just because there is a history of reliability does not mean the future is the same. You will ALWAYS risk it with any car you buy. Hence why some BMW'S will never break down and others always do
Yup, everyone told me not to buy a Ford Escape. Well even with the 6F35 trans and its bad reputation this thing hasn't given me one issue in 2 years of ownership and bullet proof in the snow. Don't even watch weather reports, I know the escape can handle it. That's why the gf uses it as her daily.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
379 Posts
BMWs require a very specific maintenance regimen.

Virtually every BMW that comes into my shop with more than 60,000 miles has a check engine light on. Probably something like neglecting a VANOS rebuild. BMW owners are funny. They will plunk down a large amount for the car, but skip the Schedule I or II service entirely because it is expensive.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Because they can't actually afford the car. These are just for the most part showy people who mostly buy the car because they like the idea of people thinking they have money. Jaguar is the same way.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
In my experience, Ford is not very reliable.

Bank one catalytic converter (the back one of course) was the first Mazda unique part to fail at about 180,000 miles.

I've seen enough 5.4 Fords spit thier plugs entirely out of the engine like sunflower seeds. The fix appears to be to epoxy them in place in later models because they don't come out. Even when you want it to. You might get it out without the center electrode....that's still down in there.

Toyotas had sludge problems in Camries, oil consumption problems in Corollas, and whatever the "unintended acceleration" ended up being.

Subarus eat head gaskets.

Even Mercedes Benz experienced a well documented decline in reliability since the '90s.

No car manufacturer is immune.
I had a few Fords in the 1970's - all rusted badly, radiators failed, clutch cable failure, oil pump failure, manual trans gear (2nd gear) failure. Very problematic. My wife's 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme w/24 valve V6 ate alternators, needed an intake manifold, her 2000 Intrigue, had failed crank position sensors, AFM, Auto trans 4th gear spline failure - check engine light on more often than not. So yeah - no manufacturer is immune.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
And, on the other side of the coin.....I have Chevys, Fords, Dodge, a couple of Mazdas and none of them have had problems.

And really, the vast majority of cars/trucks soldier through to their grave with very few failures.
Trouble is, only folks with failures tell their tales....folks like me, with nothing to report, often forget to tell anyone that the car didn't break.

Rob

WHOOPS!
I lied.

Forgot the wifes trans took a dump in her Malibu......cost GMPP a bit over four grand.
No out of pocket at my end made it a non-issue in the memory bank.

Anyways, it is good they break.....otherwise guys like me would go hungry.

Rob

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yessir. I signed up to the escape forum but I almost haven't gone on at all because the escape hasn't given me any reason to. That's a ford btw.

·
16,537 Posts
Yessir. I signed up to the escape forum but I almost haven't gone on at all because the escape hasn't given me any reason to. That's a ford btw.

2001 was supposed the "worst" year, yet my sister's has been a fantastic car with very little trouble aside from the cruise control system.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Escapes have sketchy transmissions, but it is a lifted Mazda 626 platform (which also have sketchy transmissions)

I've seen several go over 200,000 miles on the original transmission. Don't know what the secret is to making a CD4E last. :question:

·
16,537 Posts
The Escapes have sketchy transmissions, but it is a lifted Mazda 626 platform (which also have sketchy transmissions)

I've seen several go over 200,000 miles on the original transmission. Don't know what the secret is to making a CD4E last. :question:
It clunks into OD with a nice thump, but it's still going @ 150K!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ageing car, parts fail.

Also, as cars start to get older, parts start to fail. It is a fact of life no matter what make or model. And the more electronics, and more parts complexity, the more things that can go wrong. I hope that our 100,000+ RPM turbo will last a long time. Keep your oil clean.....
But I will take my higher performance (and fun) turbo car over a simpler and more reliable (and much less fun) naturally aspirated one. Life is more than vanilla ice cream and Toyota Corollas.
50,000+ miles on my Cruze, and no problems so far.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Change the fluid every 30-50k miles and they last. As of 2009+ they switched to the 6F35 six speed transmission. Was problematic until about 2011-2012 when they got **** mostly figured out. The 2013+ has smooth shifting.

You can always feel the 1-2 shift but the rest are pretty smooth. There were about 6 transmission software revisions in about 3 years

1 - 20 of 20 Posts