Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

All You Hatch Heads Stand Up And Cheer!

7K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  Jim Frye 
#1 ·
#4 ·
About Time! Unfortunately I've seen too many promises over the years to believe this until I see it.

#6 ·
Give me a Cruze Hatch Diesel M6 and I'll be the first in line.

Reactions: Blue Angel
#8 ·
...pharaphasing Orson Welles: "...no WHINE before its TIME..." (wink,wink)!

#10 · (Edited)
...anybody else notice the comment about a "new" 1.5L engine? Wonder what happened to the 1.6LT they're already using in the China and Australian model Cruzes? Replacement for the current 1.6L and 1.8L non-turbo engines?

#18 · (Edited)
If I've read things correctly, the second gen. Cruze has a longer wheelbase and will have additional steel in the front end to pass the "small offset crash tests". I speculate the new Cruze could be as much as 200 pounds heavier than the current model. The extra displacement/hp will be needed to haul that extra weight around. A hatchback might add at least 50 more pounds to the mix. Pictures at 11.

#21 ·
I was kind of hoping that we would get the station wagon version. Honestly I'm not too fond of the hatchback. If that's the case I will stick with the sedan.

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

#26 ·
I wonder if the 1.5L engine has start/stop technology.

#31 ·
If it does I hope they allow it to work on the manual transmission cars as well.

We had a European BMW 118d at Transport Canada for evaluation (they still have it, but I'm not there now). It has a manual transmission with auto stop-start on the diesel powertrain. The engine stops as you would expect it to, and then starts again when you push the clutch in to select 1st gear. Really neat:

BMW 118d - Transport Canada

#27 ·
Power/torque: 104kW/175Nm (1.8petrol), 103kW/200Nm (1.4 petrol), 132kW/230Nm (1.6 petrol), 120kW/360Nm (2.0 diesel)
Fuel economy claimed l/100km: 7.0 (1.8 petrol MT), 6.8 (1.4 petrol AT), 7.4 (1.6 petrol MT), 6.7 (2.0 diesel AT)

!.6T 132kw = 177.01492hp

Diesel 120kw = 161hp

#28 · (Edited)
#30 ·
Different emissions most likely apply which would explain a small difference in power. They also come with the bigger diesel brakes and a performance tuned auto option to the 6m.

#29 ·
He had to post this while I have to work . .. .. If IT looks Similar to the Honda Hatch
I Just might Be Interested , or some what interested , First runs would make me wait for details reguarding reliability . 1.6 T hah .

#32 ·
My understanding is that Opel's new EcoTec engine supports stop/start technology for both automatics and manuals.

#33 ·
Let's see, in terms of building a hatch back that notch will be replaced with a rectangle so the material used will be about the same. But that large rear window would be replaced by three pieces of preferably flat piece of glass. Advantages will be able to carry a larger box in the rear with more headroom.

See many appliance dealers are now offering free shipping. But even with a hatchback, forget about a dishwasher, washing machine, refrigerator, or even a large flat screen TV. If they don't install a hatchback cover over you goodies, a far better temptation for thieves. With the huge number of druggies running loose, becoming a major problem, even when out living in the sticks. Don't have near that problem with a trunk.

In terms of aerodynamics, poor, that square box at the rear creates quite a vacuum that drastically increases drag. The tradeoff would be decreased fuel economy for carrying a large box once in a great while. With that extra vacuum a lot of road debris would be sucked up, plan on spending more time trying to keep that clean.

In regards to MVAC, a lot more strain on the AC compressor with that extra heating load. If buying frozen foods on sale from a neighboring town, can be a problem getting it home on even cold days, that area is now heated.

Just some things to ponder with a hatchback. One gain would be able to install a large woofer box back there with a wide open space. But if you do that, won't have space to carry anything else.

#34 · (Edited)
In terms of aerodynamics, poor, that square box at the rear creates quite a vacuum that drastically increases drag. The tradeoff would be decreased fuel economy for carrying a large box once in a great while. With that extra vacuum a lot of road debris would be sucked up, plan on spending more time trying to keep that clean.
Funny, that...

That having been said, Mazda is claiming some astonishing best-in-class figures: 0.275 and 0.255 for the hatchback and sedan respectively.

Read more: 2014 Mazda3 First Look - Motor Trend

There are times a hatch would be real useful. The Cruze has a big trunk, but not a deep opening for carrying big, bulky things like a dresser. It ALMOST fit, but not quite.

#35 ·
Ha, plenty of space to haul ten foot lengths of conduit with the back of the passenger seat down alone with the rear seats also down. Can even close the trunk.

But with the rest of my post, just tossing out some tradeoff's. Wife is always accusing me of being to darn practical.

I actually wanted another coupe, but wife insisted on a four door. Heck, that is two more power windows, door locks, weather stripping, handles to worry about. This is for those rare occasions when we haul our grandkids. But was still easier in our Cavalier sports couple, at least those baby clips weren't buried deep like they are in the Cruze.

I know there is a Macs toy under that seat and crumbs, still trying to figure out how to remove that back seat without laying out 40 bucks for new plastic tabs.

Cavalier had a tab on the back of the passenger seat, hit that, rear back would fold down and the seat would automatically slide forward on those rare occasions someone rode back there. But my wife had to step out, didn't have that on the driver's side. Its just our style.

But will get excited when the Cruze comes out with a coupe. Again, this depends upon your needs. Putting baby seats in my 88 Supra is a snap, so use that instead of the Cruze. And it is a coupe. But also has a disadvantage with super wide doors, have to be careful where I park it.

Just can't win in all scenarios.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.