Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo with over 160,000 miles and I was told by Dobbs automotive that my Dorman brand valve cover doesn't quite work right with my car that Al's Automotive sold me. Let me explain!!!

I found out through Meineke that my PCV Valve cover and MAF sensor needed replacing because of P1101 and another code I can't remember. Cool. No problem. Simple thing to replace... maybe! I went to Al's Automotive and bought the one the guys at Al's said would work, the MAF sensor and a Dorman brand valve cover. Replaced it. Both codes go away almost immediately for about a week. Took it to another shop, not Meineke because I wasn't anywhere near that one at the time, and they said both parts indicating the issue were brand new and didn't know why the codes were still being thrown. Suggested a Chevy dealer reset the computer. Cool. I go to a Chevy dealer and they suggest instead of a reset, try cleaning out my throttle body, which I did. Took it off, was careful not to hurt anything as I'm always overly careful with anything that seems like would have an issue if you moved it wrong. Used a soft bristle toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. Put it back on. One rough start and it's running smooth.

A month later, I go back to Meineke for an oil change, something I normally do myself, and they charged me $29! Curious on why it was so cheap, it was because they used a synthetic blend. Ok? A month later, I go back for an oil leak, smoke occasionally coming out the exhaust, and something new... a low rattle sound from the driver side and rough idle where the car wants to shut off when the AC is on. Come to find out, Meineke over filled it by MORE THAN 2 QUARTS!!!!! More than 2 Quarts because it's been leaking maybe 2 weeks after the oil change so 3 quarts? 4? They redid the oil change with synthetic blend AGAIN and said that the screws on the rear of the valve cover weren't torqued down. Can't be. Several videos, forum reading, and even a manual on how much and in what order to torque them was researched before I even turned a screw. Anyways, they "torqued" them in the correct pattern. Fast forward 1 week... Service StabilTrack, Traction Control, and Engine Power Reduced messages AND CEL... I tow the car BACK to Meineke and they're doing what they can to figure out the issue.

Fast Forward 2 weeks, CEL on again and Meineke tells me the issue is a purge valve solenoid and MAF sensor... Which was brand new from a couple months before... but whatever. $260 later, and the SAME issue from 2 weeks prior (Service StabilTrack, Traction Control, and Engine Power Reduced) returns. I limp it back to Meineke after work and they tell me they'll just refund me my money and I can take it to whomever I want. I go one street over to Dobbs Automotive and 2 days later, because they were very busy, tell me that my Dorman brand Valve cover doesn't exactly work correctly with my vehicle and I need to replace that and the Intake Manifold.

I'm not sure if it was because I replaced the valve cover but now I'm looking at almost $1,000 ($920 to be exact) in repairs. Part of me is completely ok with paying this because I did attempt a fix on my own and might have screwed up somewhere. The end.

Your thoughts are welcome! Was the issue with my attempt at replacing it myself? Did Meineke do enough to try and figure out the issue? Were these issues bound to happen simply because of the mileage?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally i would not trust my local Meineke to do anything more than an oil change. I always pull the dipstick to check the oil color and level when I leave any and all oil change shops so i know they actually changed it and the level is right.. I think I would take it to a better repair shop to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wow..these guys are taking you for a ride. Everyone you are dealing with seems to be lying.
my Dorman brand valve cover doesn't quite work right with my car
What doesn't ? Maybe the rotary girder doesn't line up with the flux initiator? lol

bought the one the guys at Al's said would work, the MAF sensor
Nope, always get OEM sensors.
Suggested a Chevy dealer reset the computer
I'll bet they didn't give a reason why. Because there isn't one.

seems like would have an issue if you moved it wrong
Nope. Just disconnect the battery before messing with it.

Meineke over filled it by MORE THAN 2 QUARTS!!!!!
This amount of overfilling can seriously damage an engine. A free oil change from it? How about a free engine!

said that the screws on the rear of the valve cover weren't torqued down
That is odd. There are a lot of bolts, and its isn't unheard of to miss one. The more common installation mess up is letting the gasket flop out of place, so regardless of how you torque it, it will never seal. I would have asked these clowns what the torque spec was, their answer would have been interesting without a doubt.

Was the issue with my attempt at replacing it myself?
The MAF is so easy to change, nope. Just only use an OEM sensor. Period, end of story, do not pass go.
The valve cover is easy but people (mechanics too) let the seal fall out of place ALOT.

Did Meineke do enough to try and figure out the issue?
Yup, they put a lot of brain power into covering their error.

Were these issues bound to happen simply because of the mileage?
Having to replace the MAF and/or the valve cover. Yes, 100% expected.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow..these guys are taking you for a ride. Everyone you are dealing with seems to be lying.
Yeah... Dobbs says the Dorman Valve cover doesn't really work with my car and said they were told that they don't fit well. Why wouldn't Al's, who sells parts to every mechanic in the area including Dobbs, know about this????? Al's says that's an exact fitment. I was under the impression Meineke didn't know what they were doing when they put green coolant in my car when they replaced my thermostat and didn't give me the option for Full synthetic and chose synthetic blend for me...

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally i would not trust my local Meineke to do anything more than an oil change. I always pull the dipstick to check the oil color and level when I leave any and all oil change shops so i know they actually changed it and the level is right.. I think I would take it to a better repair shop to get a second opinion.
I did. Dobbs was my last stop before deciding to just trade it in. They are the only ones to actually put it on a diagnostic.

·
Registered
290 Posts
OMG!!!!
Dobbs says the Dorman Valve cover doesn't really work with my car and said they were told that they don't fit well. Why wouldn't Al's, who sells parts to every mechanic in the area including Dobbs, know about this?????
Al is correct, Dobbs is full of $hi7. Here is the rub. Every valve cover for the Gen1 Cruze is less than ideal. Every manufacturer makes them so cheap. And add in the PCV system valve that is a major failure point, ya the same comments could be made for all dozen "brands".

Meineke didn't know what they were doing when they put green coolant in my car when they replaced my thermostat and didn't give me the option for Full synthetic
Green coolant? NOT doing that has been broadcast around the world since 1996 !!!!!! No excuse. And the oil, no blended oil will meet Dexos1 Gen 2 specs. I wouldn't recommend using anything but.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMG!!!!

Al is correct, Dobbs is full of $hi7. Here is the rub. Every valve cover for the Gen1 Cruze is less than ideal. Every manufacturer makes them so cheap. And add in the PCV system valve that is a major failure point, ya the same comments could be made for all dozen "brands".
I found a post "Valve Cover and Intake Manifold issues" talking about people buying the Dorman Valve Covers. Also had a chat with Al's and they said they never heard of such a thing. Pulled up my invoice and said it was an exact fit. Otherwise, they wouldn't have sold it. I'm convinced Dobbs is trying to squeeze some extra money out of me through labor since they charge by the hour which only took me 30 minutes to do. Intake replacement is about $564. I'm not saying I'm trying to cheap out. But if it still has the same issue, THEN, I'll have them replace the valve cover as well.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,606 Posts
Yeah... Dobbs says the Dorman Valve cover doesn't really work with my car and said they were told that they don't fit well. Why wouldn't Al's, who sells parts to every mechanic in the area including Dobbs, know about this????? Al's says that's an exact fitment. I was under the impression Meineke didn't know what they were doing when they put green coolant in my car when they replaced my thermostat and didn't give me the option for Full synthetic and chose synthetic blend for me...
Had the Dorman on my car for around a year, no issues and running great!

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
I drive a 2014 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo with over 160,000 miles and I was told by Dobbs automotive that my Dorman brand valve cover doesn't quite work right with my car that Al's Automotive sold me. Let me explain!!!

I found out through Meineke that my PCV Valve cover and MAF sensor needed replacing because of P1101 and another code I can't remember. Cool. No problem. Simple thing to replace... maybe! I went to Al's Automotive and bought the one the guys at Al's said would work, the MAF sensor and a Dorman brand valve cover. Replaced it. Both codes go away almost immediately for about a week. Took it to another shop, not Meineke because I wasn't anywhere near that one at the time, and they said both parts indicating the issue were brand new and didn't know why the codes were still being thrown. Suggested a Chevy dealer reset the computer. Cool. I go to a Chevy dealer and they suggest instead of a reset, try cleaning out my throttle body, which I did. Took it off, was careful not to hurt anything as I'm always overly careful with anything that seems like would have an issue if you moved it wrong. Used a soft bristle toothbrush and throttle body cleaner. Put it back on. One rough start and it's running smooth.

A month later, I go back to Meineke for an oil change, something I normally do myself, and they charged me $29! Curious on why it was so cheap, it was because they used a synthetic blend. Ok? A month later, I go back for an oil leak, smoke occasionally coming out the exhaust, and something new... a low rattle sound from the driver side and rough idle where the car wants to shut off when the AC is on. Come to find out, Meineke over filled it by MORE THAN 2 QUARTS!!!!! More than 2 Quarts because it's been leaking maybe 2 weeks after the oil change so 3 quarts? 4? They redid the oil change with synthetic blend AGAIN and said that the screws on the rear of the valve cover weren't torqued down. Can't be. Several videos, forum reading, and even a manual on how much and in what order to torque them was researched before I even turned a screw. Anyways, they "torqued" them in the correct pattern. Fast forward 1 week... Service StabilTrack, Traction Control, and Engine Power Reduced messages AND CEL... I tow the car BACK to Meineke and they're doing what they can to figure out the issue.

Fast Forward 2 weeks, CEL on again and Meineke tells me the issue is a purge valve solenoid and MAF sensor... Which was brand new from a couple months before... but whatever. $260 later, and the SAME issue from 2 weeks prior (Service StabilTrack, Traction Control, and Engine Power Reduced) returns. I limp it back to Meineke after work and they tell me they'll just refund me my money and I can take it to whomever I want. I go one street over to Dobbs Automotive and 2 days later, because they were very busy, tell me that my Dorman brand Valve cover doesn't exactly work correctly with my vehicle and I need to replace that and the Intake Manifold.

I'm not sure if it was because I replaced the valve cover but now I'm looking at almost $1,000 ($920 to be exact) in repairs. Part of me is completely ok with paying this because I did attempt a fix on my own and might have screwed up somewhere. The end.

Your thoughts are welcome! Was the issue with my attempt at replacing it myself? Did Meineke do enough to try and figure out the issue? Were these issues bound to happen simply because of the mileage?
So aside from being overfilled with the wrong oil and hopefully corrected, what are the issues that we can possibly help with? Plainly please.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So aside from being overfilled with the wrong oil and hopefully corrected, what are the issues that we can possibly help with? Plainly please.
Oh, this was just a story time. I was mainly concerned with Dobbs telling me the Dorman Valve cover doesn't work with my car and how meineke can't be trusted with ANY real repair work.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,923 Posts
I'll be honest I've never had issues with my valve cover, but I am a believer that most OEM parts are superior to their "comparable to OEM" aftermarket counterparts.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Cruze LT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll be honest I've never had issues with my valve cover, but I am a believer that most OEM parts are superior to their "comparable to OEM" aftermarket counterparts.
The thing Al's shared with me was that GM doesn't make any parts for those cars anymore and that Dorman is probably the biggest maker of older GM parts. So, for it to NOT work with it, he said he's in disbelief about that. Maybe they made a second version that fixes or improves on a couple of issues. But to blatantly NOT work with the cat? Nah!

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
I find that most GM parts are made in China.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
3,923 Posts
I find that most GM parts are made in China.
Why do people think that things made in China are of low quality? Roughly 21% of all American imports come from China. Including the things like the iPhone.

Reactions: Gzuz4132

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,606 Posts
Why do people think that things made in China are of low quality? Roughly 21% of all American imports come from China. Including the things like the iPhone.
The iPhone is assembled in China, not built there. Big difference.

·
Administrator
12,105 Posts
I do not know. I buy many things, quite a few directly, from China. I guess the real issue is that the Chinese Government does not treat their citizens as well as we do, including compensation for labor. That, in turn, makes many items cheaper than what we can produce them for which then causes a trade imbalance as most people that I know look for the best price. Since Chinese produced parts are ultimately cheaper, due to much lower labor costs, we buy them. The Chinese on the other hand do not buy enough of our products as they are generally more expensive and since they make less money, they have no real incentive to buy from us.

So having said that, many people tend to disparage the Chinese, including saying that their products are inferior, since they can not do anything about the Chinese Government per se.

But on the other hand, I have purchased many items that are pure junk. I guess that since the general population has no money to speak of, they sell whatever they can. Just a guess now mind you.

@JayMarkel64, sorry to hijack the thread, if it gets out of hand I'll move the conversation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts