Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Almost ran into my garage just now, no brakes!!

7K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
Just drove home and slowly going into the garage and went to apply the brakes and they were frozen. I pushed hard and got the car to stop two inches before I hit the wall in front me. I've had the car for a month and a half, never had an issue. Thought I was crazy so I put in it reverse and applied the brakes, they had the same feeling. You couldn't push the pedal down for nothing. So towed to the dealer it goes. Any ideas on the problem? I'm guessing master cylinder. It's a CPO so it will be covered. But I need a rental car, should I ask the dealer to get one? I didn't buy the cruze from them.

#5 ·
Hey nick993,

I’m very sorry to hear of this occurring. I understand that you had your vehicle towed to your dealership. I will be glad to look further into your concern and contact your dealership regarding this concern. Please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership if we can be of any assistance. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#10 ·
What year is your car nick933?

I'm with the others who responded that the switch recall has yet to be performed......or the new style switch failed, or the vacuum pump itself.

You could put your vin number on the chevy website to see if there are any open recalls for the switch showing.

Rob

#11 ·
It's a 2013, Im guessing since it was for sale in February that most recalls/updates have been performed. But the dealer opens in a couple of hours so we will see soon. The chevy website claims there are no recalls for my VIN. But thanks for the heads up.

#14 ·
Hmmm, something else to try in my Cruze, find a vacant road, get up to 70 mph, switch off the ignition and hit the brake pedal three times to kill the reservoir. To learn how this car stops without the power booster.

Lost power boosters on other cars, no problems with stopping with much extra foot power. So is the Cruze different in this respect? Even with a firm pedal, no stopping at all?

#23 ·
Somewhat especially if the rear drums are at the OEM setting. The dealership on axle inspection finally set them right. To briefly demonstrate the diff between 4 disc feel and drum feel is braking normally with the hand brake 4-5 clicks up. I never locked up the fronts on the 2LT like I did my non adjusted drum ECO.

Sent from my iFail 5s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.