Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting at almost 97k miles and I already have a ticket at GM about my transmission getting replaced because I've had nothing but problems since 25-35k miles. I do qualify for a lemon law but I have my reasons for waiting it out.
So because I'm almost out of warranty what should I have GM fix? The thermostat, water pump, and speed sensor, rear drums, etc. have already been replaced multiple times, and I mean MULTIPLE! Close to 12 different repair orders on my Cruze all within 65k miles which is why I qualify for the lemon law, so before that 100k mile mark comes along I would like to have GM check and replace a few things that anyone can suggest here. I heard talks of a PCV Valve? Anything else?

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
No dealer is allowed to perform 'pre-emtive' services.

It is true a higher percentage of cars displayed certain failures, such as the pcv/cam cover thing.....and yours may have this failure down the road, but, it has to fail during the warranty period to be covered.

Same would apply to a water pump, now covered for ten years or 150000 miles.......if it fails at 149999 miles it is covered, if it fails at 150001, technically it isn't covered. (It would be in this case though because Chevy knows it failed before it crossed the 150000 mark)......but at 150500, you haven't much of a chance.

So, if you want to do pre-emptive repairs, they are on your dime.
Not to make you angry, just the way it is.

Advice: If potental failures are causing excessive brain damage it is time to trade it in and start anew......new car, new warranty.

Rob

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't get how you say your car is a lemon but yet you still have it? And your still paying on it.

the 2011 and 2012 cruzes all had rear brake issues mostly not being adjusted from the factory and on the early 2012s and 11s they had a rear drum issue that was a easy fix. But looking at other other posts of yours IMO a lot of your issues could be do to the driver.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
You might want to read the California lemon law again, with that many miles on your car it doesn't seem to quality. Believe one of the stipulations is defects within 18 months or 18,000 miles whichever comes first. The same problem needs to be repaired 4 times, vehicle out of service for 30 days with multiple problems. Don't forget they also deduct value for all mileage driven.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Nice to learn that the Cruze still runs when hitting that 100 K mile mark.

Rear brakes in our 04 Cavalier are still original and in fine shape with 140K miles on this car already, reading about a lot of rear drum brake problems with the Cruze, went back to a 1941 design, wonder if the rear brakes from the 04 Cavalier would fit on the Cruze.

Emission sensors have an 80K mile or 8 year warranty enforce by the EPA, but this law was written in 1972, cars today are doing a bit better, write your congressman.

Automatic transmissions are a newly created problem, all that mechanical stuff is history replaced by an 89 cent microcontroller along with skyrocketing prices. Got around this by buying a manual transmission. Also have a whole bunch of electrical switches all over the place with these transmission that cause problems, along with the cheapest wire you can buy and connectors.

Switching to neutral is yet another newly created problem, done to replace that cheap undersized torque converter and poor cooling. These suckers get hotter than hail when stopped in traffic. Solution, use an 89 cent microcontroller to shift the transmission into neutral.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would let them fix as much as they can if things are wrong with it. I would have not waited till the last 3k miles IMO
Believe me I haven't waited, the original dealership I bought the car from brand new found numerous problems up till about 35k miles when they told me either go forward with the lemon law buy back or take it else where because it was costing too much money to fix all the problems whichI have documentation of and have been pursuing a case with GM for years but they have to apparently go through a bunch of hoops.

No dealer is allowed to perform 'pre-emtive' services.

It is true a higher percentage of cars displayed certain failures, such as the pcv/cam cover thing.....and yours may have this failure down the road, but, it has to fail during the warranty period to be covered.

Same would apply to a water pump, now covered for ten years or 150000 miles.......if it fails at 149999 miles it is covered, if it fails at 150001, technically it isn't covered. (It would be in this case though because Chevy knows it failed before it crossed the 150000 mark)......but at 150500, you haven't much of a chance.

So, if you want to do pre-emptive repairs, they are on your dime.
Not to make you angry, just the way it is.

Advice: If potental failures are causing excessive brain damage it is time to trade it in and start anew......new car, new warranty.

Rob
Sorry I implied it was pre-emptive, what I mean is can people give me suggestion on things that normally go wrong at around this mileage because I've been to one dealership saying my waterpump is fine and the next one who has never seen me before says "no your waterpump is shot" I just don't trust the fact that between the 3 dealerships I've gone to get repairs at have all fixed and denied finding things that others have fixed and confirmed broken. It's happened multiple times where I go to a dealership after they've repaired something and I say can you check this out it's not right and they go "oh no it's fine" and then I drive to the next city over and that dealership says "wow yea it definitely is broken"

You might want to read the California lemon law again, with that many miles on your car it doesn't seem to quality. Believe one of the stipulations is defects within 18 months or 18,000 miles whichever comes first. The same problem needs to be repaired 4 times, vehicle out of service for 30 days with multiple problems. Don't forget they also deduct value for all mileage driven.
In this case GM specifically is handling my "lemon law" case as a buy back whenever it clears. They refused to trade my car for a brand new 2012 cruze at the time because they worried I might continue to have problems so they told me year after year that until they find and approve such a car that I'll have to wait but did notate on my account that my car is defective from the factory and does qualify for extended warranty blah blah which so far has been true. I've gotten many things that were only covered under bumper to bumper fixed under my 100k power train warranty because they know of the cars history. Such an example is the computer system which was replaced at about 69k miles.

To elaborate on that the computer system starting going haywire and rolling windows down, turning wipers on, cutting one side of my headlights and fog lights off, randomly switching radio stations, the first time I took it into Chevy the tech was like nothing is wrong and then once they got in to bring me my vehicle he looked like he saw a ghost because he's never seen something like that happen! I would love to post the wrap sheet of crap I've had wrong with this car from the get go but sadly I don't own a copier and I doubt 20+ pages of stuff would be allowed on the forum :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't get how you say your car is a lemon but yet you still have it? And your still paying on it.

the 2011 and 2012 cruzes all had rear brake issues mostly not being adjusted from the factory and on the early 2012s and 11s they had a rear drum issue that was a easy fix. But looking at other other posts of yours IMO a lot of your issues could be do to the driver.
GM waived my payments on the car at 25k miles because of already having 6 repairs in less than 30 days. There would be no way in **** I would still have this car after having this many problems and STILL pay! :D

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
To elaborate on that the computer system starting going haywire and rolling windows down, turning wipers on, cutting one side of my headlights and fog lights off, randomly switching radio stations,
Oh, that's a good one. I hope they changed the BCM. It's either that or something on the bus is messing up.

I hope you don't have one of these devices plugged into your diagnostics port. Such as for insurance discount?

·
Registered
990 Posts
The computer system repair is covered under the 80k/8year not the bumper to bumper. Also I think someone is pulling your leg on the repairs and what is wrong with your car the 1.8 engine doesn't have many issues with the water pump.

Can you post what issues you've had with your car?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh, that's a good one. I hope they changed the BCM. It's either that or something on the bus is messing up.

I hope you don't have one of these devices plugged into your diagnostics port. Such as for insurance discount?
No I don't have anything plugged into the diagnostics port.

The computer system repair is covered under the 80k/8year not the bumper to bumper. Also I think someone is pulling your leg on the repairs and what is wrong with your car the 1.8 engine doesn't have many issues with the water pump.

Can you post what issues you've had with your car?
Off the top of my head in no particular order
- Speed sensor x 2
- ECU x1
- Rear brake drums x2
- Water pump x3
- Thermostat x2
- Fog lights x2
- TCU x2
- Oil Heater x1
- and some computer stuff they swapped out twice which I don't recall the name of

*EDIT* oh and I have documented paperwork from a Chevy tech feeling a jerk in the tranny when down shifting into 2nd after I hit about 12k miles which has been getting progressively worse since 69k

·
Registered
990 Posts
No I don't have anything plugged into the diagnostics port.

Off the top of my head in no particular order
- Speed sensor x 2
- ECU x1
- Rear brake drums x2
- Water pump x3
- Thermostat x2
- Fog lights x2
- TCU x2
- Oil Heater x1
- and some computer stuff they swapped out twice which I don't recall the name of

*EDIT* oh and I have documented paperwork from a Chevy tech feeling a jerk in the tranny when down shifting into 2nd after I hit about 12k miles which has been getting progressively worse since 69k
Was all this work done by the same dealer? Once you hit the 100k mark your out of luck on any lemon law or powertrain coverage.

Water pump and tstat is normal so is the drums for that year was a tsb out for that and for the 6t30 Trans.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Once you hit the 100k mark your out of luck on any lemon law or powertrain coverage.
Sure sounds like a "jinx" car to me. They happen.

That's certainly not typical for a Cruze. But given all the problems, it's time to get out. Start over with a whole 'nuther car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I'm sitting at almost 97k miles and I already have a ticket at GM about my transmission getting replaced because I've had nothing but problems since 25-35k miles. I do qualify for a lemon law but I have my reasons for waiting it out.
So because I'm almost out of warranty what should I have GM fix? The thermostat, water pump, and speed sensor, rear drums, etc. have already been replaced multiple times, and I mean MULTIPLE! Close to 12 different repair orders on my Cruze all within 65k miles which is why I qualify for the lemon law, so before that 100k mile mark comes along I would like to have GM check and replace a few things that anyone can suggest here. I heard talks of a PCV Valve? Anything else?
I had some of the same problems with my 2011 .. I traded it off at around 90,000 ,got a fair trade in value .Got a 2014 Malibu

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was all this work done by the same dealer? Once you hit the 100k mark your out of luck on any lemon law or powertrain coverage.

Water pump and tstat is normal so is the drums for that year was a tsb out for that and for the 6t30 Trans.
Work has been done between 3 dealerships

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi I have a 2011 1.4 auto With 60,000. Kilometers just purchased 4 weeks ago. What is the rear brake fix ?
My warranty is up soon:(.

·
Administrator
25,120 Posts
The rear brake fix is to properly adjust the rear drums. The 2011 and 2012s came with the drums so far out of adjustment they didn't work or hold the car with the handbrake set.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi I have a 2011 1.4 auto With 60,000. Kilometers just purchased 4 weeks ago. What is the rear brake fix ?
My warranty is up soon:(.
My rear drums have been out of adjustment since I got the car.. Chevy claims to have fixed it and even replaced the drums twice after finding something.. Now they won't even look at them which is annoying but the high quality pads I get for the front last me 2 years so I don't care.

·
Registered
990 Posts
My rear drums have been out of adjustment since I got the car.. Chevy claims to have fixed it and even replaced the drums twice after finding something.. Now they won't even look at them which is annoying but the high quality pads I get for the front last me 2 years so I don't care.
they won't look at them anymore? Or do you mean they want you to pay for them?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they won't look at them anymore? Or do you mean they want you to pay for them?
Both they said since they've replaced them twice and its over 65k warranty that they won't look/attempt to adjust them without paying $130 for inspection + however much for labor.. It's not even worth it because my front brakes have been holding up nice for years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts