Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I was coming to a stop the other day and with the roof supports being thicker these days in case of a rollover crash it creates a blind spot. I also have rain guards which increase the blind spot. I stopped at the stop sign with a car to my right that stopped just after me so it was my turn to go. The car to my left I did not see at all because it must have been in the blind spot coming to a stop just before me. I started to go and then I saw the car and hit the brakes as he did also honking at me(and probably cussing me too, don't blame him)I embarrassedly motioned for him to go since I was in the wrong.
Scared the crap out of me. Be ware of that blind spot guys/gals.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Agreed! I know exactly what I you are talking about. typically when I back out of my drive to the street, I have to make sure I check the traffic as it is what I call a small expressway(a cut thru to avoid a corner and there are no stop signs.) I look back one way then the other, the pillars behind me make it a little difficult to see and when I am alone I seem to be able to cope with this but when I am in the wrong with my wife in the car. Watch out. Didn't you see that!!!!!! And I hate to say no sometimes I don't. Not always backing out of my drive either! This car does seem to have more blind spots than others than I have driven.Not to downgrade the car as they are there for the safety purposes as BU says. Just have to pay better attention.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Thank goodness, almost only counts in horse shoe games.
...............and hand grenade throwing............but I digress!!! I'm sure just about everyone on this forum has experienced what the OP just has. I know I have, more times than I care to remember. Blind spot or not, I think that a 4-way stop sign intersection is one of the most dangerous intersections in driving and it's one of the places that I try to be overly cautious. I'm glad your okay BU54!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The B pillar is a large blind spot, especially on the driver's side.

·
2,170 Posts
The A pillar in my buddy's '09 Sierra is REALLY bad. The pillar combined with the side mirror mount is ridiculous. With increased rollover safety, comes decreased visibility. Automakers are starting to move to door mounted mirrors and an extra triangle window in front to resolve this issue and it does make a huge difference. We almost got clobbered the other day when he came to a stop at a 55mph road and he started going across with a fast moving yaris to the right in his blind spot. The yaris had to get hard on the brakes and swerve left around us as we crossed in front of them. Close call, could have been worse, but now he does a weird triple check maneuver which involves leaning far forward then backward to see around the pillar. As everyone else has mentioned, just pay extra attention to driving. It's much more risky than we give it credit for, and it demands our full attention.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Close call the other day at a four way, idiot never stopped, just went straight through, fortunately my foot was already on the brake before I even knew what happened, and my right hand was on the horn. Ha, not even worth posting, way too many idiots on the road.

Don't trust the side view mirrors on my Cruze either, worse vehicle for this, always turn my head. Doc told me I shouldn't drive for ten days after that carotid surgery, what to you mean, I turned my head fully left and right, he said okay, two days. Also tried to load me with pain killers, ha, pain killers are for whimps, if I feel pain, want to quit moving that much, would be doing more damage to myself.

Really have to duck my head when getting into my Cruze, if I don't, would either knock sense into my head or out of it. Also care in bringing my left knee it, dash sticks way out on this thing. Got training and certification for this.

89 Continental was entirely different, door ran half way up through the roof. Problems with this, would get a shower when opening the door in the rain, so either way, you are a looser. Getting in, front seat was all wet, that was cool.

Sounds like those rain shields should be put in the trashcan.

·
2,254 Posts
Now I'm second guessing the rain guards, never thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Yup, been there, done that.

The A pillars are pretty thick on any new car, so the Cruze isn't alone in that regard, though.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2003 S-10 is like this also but not as bad. It's much worse backing out of a driveway because I have a cap on the back of it.
There has to be perfect timing(or bad luck, me)for this to happen.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
It is those near misses that teach us to bob and weave, when looking around obstacles, like a boxer. it is even worse when the object being obscured is not moving when you look.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
but now he does a weird triple check maneuver which involves leaning far forward then backward to see around the pillar.
I do a "bob" to look around the pillar. Mostly due to something called Constant bearing, decreasing range. If something is at a constant bearing so that it stays behind the pillar, there's a good chance you're on a collision course.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Getting scared $h!tless is a good, healthy and human thing.

Understanding where you were at fault and acknowledging your role and responsibility are the smart, wise and mature thing to do.

But the real test of wisdom is applying that knowledge and changing your habits and behaviours so that you will survive to live another day.

Reactions: ChevyGuy

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I also have rain guards which increase the blind spot.
A person at work got a cruze and within 2 weeks crashed it in a similar fashion. I also have vent visors and HATE how they make those bind spots larger. I've trained myself to start looking left/right back 100-500 yards when approaching an intersection to catch those last minute cars, bikes and people before they enter my blind zone.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I have a worse time with the passenger side pillar, I sit far back so I'm able to see out my entire driver door window and around the blindspot, but the passenger side blocks entire cars at 4 way stops....trips me up all the time when I take off and all of a sudden there's a car there....and it was probably their turn to go.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting scared $h!tless is a good, healthy and human thing.

Understanding where you were at fault and acknowledging your role and responsibility are the smart, wise and mature thing to do.

But the real test of wisdom is applying that knowledge and changing your habits and behaviours so that you will survive to live another day.
Very true, but it only takes once not being 100% aware for my insurance to go up. I have a perfect record too. It would have been a "minor" collision due to the low speed if impact would have occurred. But there could have been lawsuits filed due to the fact that it would have been my fault and to the greed of many these days that see a "freebie" in situations like this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Truthfully, I can honestly say, I DON'T have a problem at all seeing and making moves in my Cruze.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.