Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had no intention of getting rid of our loved 2012 2LT, drunken driver took car of this. Looked at every available vehicle in the state, wife still wants a compact car.

Settled on a Hyundai Elantra Limited with package 1, with my vet discount GM would never give me, and other discounts, knocked off over $4,000 from the sticker price and is the 2017 model. More space than our Cruze and around 500 pounds lighter using high strength galvanized steel. Cruze Limited would have been around 2,500 bucks more, only have a couple of thousand on my GM card. But this is only the start.

60,000 mile 5 year BB warranty, ten years on the PT, seven on rust. Under the hood, coolant lines are old fashion neoprene tubing with clamps, could replace the PCV hose for about a buck. Has a radiator cap with low pressure reservoir, full under engine cover with doors on it for draining stuff.

No turbo, uses that Akinson 2.0L engine, have no idea what gas they put in this thing, maybe the cheapest E10, only put 68 miles on it so far, fuel said 48 mpg, 0-60 times specified at 8 seconds, we don't drive this way, top speed is 120 mph, won't do that either.

Wife wanted an MT, only in the cheapest cars, can run this thing in manual or automatic mode by moving the gear shift lever to the left or right. Driving at 60 mph moved to the left for manual, clicking the stick back, was in 6th, all the way down to 1 in steps for engine breaking, same with taking off started off in 1 and worked up to 6th, shifts were smooth, just don't have to step on the clutch and won't let you red line the engine.

Stepping in on rubber for sill plates, not sheet metal, wife got her leather, four electrically heated seats plus an electrically heated steering wheel. Drivers seat is fully electric with a built in lumbar, seats are also vented for warm or cool air. Locking gas cap, and trunk can be opened inside of the vehicle manually.

MVAC can be operated either in the manual or automatic mode, wife can have hot air blowing on her, me cold, not sure how this is going to work, also in sync mode.

Never said I would buy factory GPS, but did with five years of free map updates with this thing, has an 8 inch screen that will take over five minutes to learn. With a pitch black driveway, lite up like daytime in reverse, has grids on it in feet. Took a couple of seconds to pair my phone, downloads all my contacts, also my MP3's, has two charging ports for two phones. Infinity sound systems, two tweeters, four midrange, two woofers, bass is powerful, no playing with this.

Got stuck with a moonroof, cute, no loss of headroom, opened it up in town, new to my wife. Lot to learn, has blue link and suppose to be an app for it to remote start the car from your iphone, lot to play with. Only plan I have is to mount splash shields, not sure if they are really needed, but what the heck.

Zero dealer installed options, has fogs, all braking is LED plus the fogs, only six light bulbs to be replace.

Wish I had the conversation before with my insurance agent, would have only cost us ten extra bucks per month for brand new vehicle coverage regardless of fault, paying an extra ten bucks now.

Son has a three year old Sonata, said never had to fight with his dealers, wish I could say the same about GM, everything on this one was a battle. Daughter with a Kia, sister company said the same thing. Feel GM should look into this.

Also was concerned about getting a garage door remote for this thing, already has this built in.

So will I be kicked off this board?

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
What about the relays?

what about the wire crimps?

for as long as we've known you these were vital aspects of your automotive ownership. But no word of it here.

Sounds like you've changed...

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,911 Posts
More space than our Cruze and around 500 pounds lighter using high strength galvanized steel.
Is that what the salesperson told you? Not even close. 2016 Limited 2LT automatic is 3173 lbs and the 2017 Elantra Limited is 2914 - a 2012 2LT automatic was 3143 lbs. High strength steel is widely used in the industry - not some special thing only Hyundai uses.

The '17 Elantra Limited just placed fourth out of five in C&D's latest comparison - beating only the [absolute POS] Nissan Sentra. They did compliment the spaciousness but hated how noisy it was, and how stiff it rode. Not sure I would have bought this out of the current field of vehicles, but hopefully you are happy with yours.

My wife's grandparents just dumped their ('13, I'm guessing) Elantra for an Equinox and are much happier. But as long as you're happy that's what matters.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Nick - I for one, have always valued your advice, opinions, and overall knowledge of cars. Regardless of others here, I appreciate your feedback. That being said, Thank you.

I want you to stick around!!! :eek:ccasion14:

It's funny that you ended up with an Elantra (funny because I almost got a 2015 Sonata GLS instead of my Cruze LTZ).

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Stick around man. As for contacts and whatnot, nick probably doesn't know what they use yet. Chances are it's the same cheap stuff gm uses only with a hyundai logo.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
To be fair, it would be hard to pay the extra for a new cruze when that car probably comes with more standard options for less.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You're dead to me!

:wink::giggle:

I'm trying to get my youngest into a lease (so he stops calling MY G8 "his car"). I keep going back to the Hyundai or the Mazda 3 over the '17 Cruze although I do love my other kid's '14 1LT RS. It's been a truly great car and perfect for his needs.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
To be fair, it would be hard to pay the extra for a new cruze when that car probably comes with more standard options for less.
C&D thought it was - the new Cruze placed ahead of the Elantra, even while having a higher MSRP.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
70 bucks for the shop manual directly from Hyundai, yes it has relays, they all do, made by Kia and Omron, I sure know Omron, top quality stuff. 26% made in the USA, 73% made in Korea, 1% made in China, couldn't tell me what that 1% is.

Does have lane assist, directional signals on the side view mirrors, and most important to my wife, lighted visor mirror so she can put on her warpaint in the dark.

Nosie? Can swear you can hear a pin drop on the road, what you read? Wrote many tech articles over the years, tell what I see, never would add poetic license as they call it, but my editor sure added this for additional ad revenue, can't always believe what you read.

For suspension and steering, three modes of operation, Eco, Normal, and Sport, only tried the Eco mode so far. Did call the dealer, did put in 87 octane E10 in it, around here, 65 cents per gallon. Wants to know more about reading 48 mpg, time will tell.

Center arm rest cover is leather, just a ton of minor things, but again, time will tell. Still feel we should make South Korea a state, been defending them long enough. Letting that AT dipstick ride for awhile, but should have the next ten years to begin to worry about it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
C&D thought it was - the new Cruze placed ahead of the Elantra, even while having a higher MSRP.
The fast lane car checked them out as well. Cruze won because of the power. Was easy to chirp into 2nd.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Hope you don't plan to do your own maintenance, heard this is when you will have issues with getting them to pay out for warranty coverage. I guess I'm most shocked you got an automatic!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hyundai/Kia generally have bad manual transmission on their FWD cars. They lag some other brands in driving dynamics, even though they've made strides in recent years. In manual transmissions, that generally means they do a bad job programming the throttle actuation and setting up the clutch performance to work well together.

I previously owned a manual trans Hyundai Sonata and test drove several other Hyundai/Kia vehicles. They all had poor manual tranmissions when compared to some of their competitors. That's why I chose a Cruze, because it has a manual trans that's pretty good to drive. It's not as good as a VW, but the Cruze is better than the Elantras and other cars I drove.

Long story short, it's probably good the OP didn't get a manual if he was buying a Hyundai Elantra.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
The fast lane car checked them out as well. Cruze won because of the power. Was easy to chirp into 2nd.
Yeah, similar trend in C&D - faster than anything else by half a second. That new 1.4T combined with the lighter car has some ballage.

Reactions: money_man

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Congrats on your new ride but sorry about y'all losing the Cruze! I personally like the look of the 2017 Elantra Limited. It comes with some pretty nice safety and tech features too. I think it would look better with 18 inch wheels although the overall design of them is nice. Those 17's look just a tad bit small for my taste, but I'd certainly take em. Please post some pics when you get a chance.

Aren't they introducing a Hyundai Elantra Sport later this year?! I might have to check that one out.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Hey Nick ! I got a Ford race red Musstang Ecoboost .................

This Forum is Not an advertisement for AfterMarket Parts from Vendors .
We actually give a hoot and have down home wholesome Fun ..

Stick around ASOP .

Reactions: Aussie

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am taking this thing BACK! Doesn't have a steering lock on it, gotta have that.

Yeah built in Alabama by snowbirds from Janesville, Wisconsin, only place these guys could find a job after they shut down that GM plant in Janesville. To bad Hyundai didn't take over that plant in Janesville.

Since I am old an broken down man, maybe the next time I take this thing to the dragstrip, they will give me a 1/2 second handicap. We do go to the dragstrip every week, LOL.

One more splash shield to go, then I am done, using a carpeted block with my floor jack, did the same with my Cruze, but now, not sure why.

LOL, still do nice work.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Hope you don't plan to do your own maintenance, heard this is when you will have issues with getting them to pay out for warranty coverage. I guess I'm most shocked you got an automatic!!!
Hyundai Warranty service is fine Spacedout. While its true GM isn't as picky when it comes to warranty work and maintenance requirements, it could be because G.M products are made using the lowest priced parts available and are prone to breaking while Hyundai is built better using higher quality parts and better quality control. Why the Plastic Hyundai uses is even stronger. Just this year KIA was ranked the highest in initial quality for 2016 according to J.D. Powers and associates. With that said I had a 2004 Elantra and it was terrible, traded it for a brand new 2006 V6 Sonata, made in America and it was great car! Even crushed in well!
Did call the dealer, did put in 87 octane E10 in it, around here, 65 cents per gallon. Letting that AT dipstick ride for awhile, but should have the next ten years to begin to worry about it.
65 cents per Gallon or per Liter? You should be pleased to find the Dipstick is made out of metal, or was. Got reamed here when I first mentioned the cheap Plastic dip stick on the CRUZE E Z Bake engine

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.