Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overview
The purpose of bypass filtration is to reduce engine wear and extend oil drain intervals by keeping the oil cleaner than the standard full-flow filter (the one you usually replace during an oil change) is capable of. The How-To tutorial for installation can be found here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-library/62481-how-bypass-filtration-install-1-4l-turbo.html#post941161

All about Filtration Efficiency
The vast majority of engine wear occurs as a result of abrasive particles in the engine oil 5 microns or larger in size.The full-flow filter available for the Cruze 1.4T/1.8 is capable of filtering 25-30 microns, which is a nominal rating. Nominal ratings are often arbitrary, and testing has shown that even a filter rated for 25 microns can pass particles up to 200 microns in size. Most nominal ratings are rated at 50%. Absolute ratings are ratings derived from lab testing where the actual sizes of the particles that are passed by the filter are measured, and thus are more valid for comparison purposes.

As noted, your standard full-flow filter is capable of 20 microns nominal. The AMSOIL EABP Bypass Filters are rated at 2 microns absolute at 98.7%, which means that 98.7% of particles 2 microns or larger will be trapped by the filter.

Benefits
The benefits of bypass filtration in gasoline engines has not been very well documented or tested. However, bypass filters are very popular with diesel pickup truck and over the road truck owners due to their ability to extend drain intervals to as high as 200k for pickup trucks or 1 million miles for over the road trucks while also significantly improving longevity and reliability and reducing maintenance costs. Bypass filters keep your oil clean and free of abrasive particles and contaminants, which can reduce and even eliminate engine wear. Keeping the contaminants out of the oil also extends the usable life of the oil as the oil no longer needs to be drained to remove those contaminants, and the TBN of the oil is retained far better when those contaminants are not held in suspension. Relevant to the 1.4L Turbo engine in the Cruze, turbo failure is attributed to oil starvation, bearing wear, and oil break-down. Using a Bypass Fillter with AMSOIL Signature Series engine oil will as a result significantly improve the longevity of the turbo. Lastly, the bypass kit increases total system oil capacity by one quart (a 24% increase), which will also extend oil drain intervals.

Note: Oil testing analysis is recommended whenever OE drain intervals are exceeded.

Parts Required
A bypass filter installation in the Cruze 1.4L requires the following items:
AMSOIL BP89 Swivel Fitting
AMSOIL EABP-90 Filter
AMSOIL Single Remote Bypass Kit

Remember, you can get ~25% off with a Preferred Customer account.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I'd also be interested in this, Extreme!

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How about the 2.0 TD?

I had one of these on my 2006 6.0 Powerstroke. It worked very well, those injectors needed all the help they could get!

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about the 2.0 TD?

I had one of these on my 2006 6.0 Powerstroke. It worked very well, those injectors needed all the help they could get!
I haven't had the chance to try to install one. The first question I'd ask is, where will you put the filter?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I haven't had the chance to try to install one. The first question I'd ask is, where will you put the filter?
That is a good question, if the filter/assembly is similar in size to the one on my truck it could be tough to find a spot.
My old kit took oil from a special oil filter cap and returned it into the fill cap. The oil filter on this car is not in an ideal location to do this.

2014-chevrolet-cruze-20td-turbocharged-20-liter-inline-4-diesel-engine-photo-534897-s-1280x782.jpg
image borrowed from
Car Reviews - New Cars for 2015 and 2016 at Car and Driver

·
Registered
318 Posts
Overview
The purpose of bypass filtration is to reduce engine wear and extend oil drain intervals by keeping the oil cleaner than the standard full-flow filter (the one you usually replace during an oil change) is capable of. The How-To tutorial for installation can be found here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-library/62481-how-bypass-filtration-install-1-4l-turbo.html#post941161

All about Filtration Efficiency
The vast majority of engine wear occurs as a result of abrasive particles in the engine oil 5 microns or larger in size.The full-flow filter available for the Cruze 1.4T/1.8 is capable of filtering 25-30 microns, which is a nominal rating. Nominal ratings are often arbitrary, and testing has shown that even a filter rated for 25 microns can pass particles up to 200 microns in size. Most nominal ratings are rated at 50%. Absolute ratings are ratings derived from lab testing where the actual sizes of the particles that are passed by the filter are measured, and thus are more valid for comparison purposes.

As noted, your standard full-flow filter is capable of 20 microns nominal. The AMSOIL EABP Bypass Filters are rated at 2 microns absolute at 98.7%, which means that 98.7% of particles 2 microns or larger will be trapped by the filter.

Benefits
The benefits of bypass filtration in gasoline engines has not been very well documented or tested. However, bypass filters are very popular with diesel pickup truck and over the road truck owners due to their ability to extend drain intervals to as high as 200k for pickup trucks or 1 million miles for over the road trucks while also significantly improving longevity and reliability and reducing maintenance costs. Bypass filters keep your oil clean and free of abrasive particles and contaminants, which can reduce and even eliminate engine wear. Keeping the contaminants out of the oil also extends the usable life of the oil as the oil no longer needs to be drained to remove those contaminants, and the TBN of the oil is retained far better when those contaminants are not held in suspension. Relevant to the 1.4L Turbo engine in the Cruze, turbo failure is attributed to oil starvation, bearing wear, and oil break-down. Using a Bypass Fillter with AMSOIL Signature Series engine oil will as a result significantly improve the longevity of the turbo. Lastly, the bypass kit increases total system oil capacity by one quart (a 24% increase), which will also extend oil drain intervals.

Note: Oil testing analysis is recommended whenever OE drain intervals are exceeded.

Parts Required
A bypass filter installation in the Cruze 1.4L requires the following items:
AMSOIL BP89 Swivel Fitting
AMSOIL EABP-90 Filter
AMSOIL Single Remote Bypass Kit

Remember, you can get ~25% off with a Preferred Customer account.
Xtreme, is there a kit available for 2015 CTD too? thanks.

·
Administrator
15,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Xtreme, is there a kit available for 2015 CTD too? thanks.
There isn't technically a kit for any vehicle. It's all custom work. I was able to install it in my Cruze fairly easily, but your engine bay might not offer you the same amount of flexibility. I don't know of anyone who has done this in the CTD yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts