Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Great stuff, how much? What's your mileage?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter is around 50 dollars. I doubt it increases mileage, and if anything it would decrease it. My mileage is junk with all the messing around I do. When I've tested going around the block I manage to average 47 to 50, but that's only going between 50 and 65 mph. Interstate at 83 mph is about 42 to 33 mpg depending on conditions.

I may look into to increasing those numbers through tweaking, but the Cruze doesn't have to worry about towing so all of its timing is made for max economy. Hard to say if more can be pushed out of it, but then again I haven't really experimented with it.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the only reason you'd get it is for the noise. Asking for anything else is just being naive.

I was thinking about turnimg the idle down to 700, but it's pretty much unknown territory to the vehicle if you force it to run at 700. Plus at some point there will be electrical problems, but I have no doubt the engine will perform just fine at 700.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
About the only reason you'd get it is for the noise. Asking for anything else is just being naive.

I was thinking about turnimg the idle down to 700, but it's pretty much unknown territory to the vehicle if you force it to run at 700. Plus at some point there will be electrical problems, but I have no doubt the engine will perform just fine at 700.
I would love to be able to tweak my tune to squeeze some more mileage out of it. The 700 rpm idle would be nice. With my very limited idle time, I wouldn't worry about the electrical system on mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when I called for 700 rpm idle, it didn't happen. There is a brick wall at 800 rpm which I don't quite understand.... So I guess 800 rpm is all I get (a whopping 25 rpm lower), still it does definitely sound lower.

Also finally played with making a mileage tune... Well... I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but just haven't found a good approach to get more mileage out of the Cruze. I believe I finally found a good approach, and the results are extremely promising thus far. It's an insanely intricate tune, so I won't be sharing the details (its all possible by my cax though, which I do share). You can also really hear the difference when accelerating around 1200 to 2400 rpm in 5th gear, it's a much lower tone growl since its burning more efficiently. It's also much quieter when driving, and uses less boost (indirect result).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Did you have any issues with check engine lights with that intake? I bought that same k&n intake from a friend who has a diesel Cruze. He sold it because it randomly would throw lean codes. Since I've put it on mine, it throws the same exact lean code completely at random.

Neither of the cars had a tuner. I'm guessing a tuner would probably fix the issue but I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never had that problem. It 'should' work just fine if it uses the stock MAF housing. Unplug the battery for a good hour, that helps. Could also get a reflash by the dealer, I know they really messed with that stuff with the newer version...

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I looked up the filter wont work for the AEM kit :( Completely different idle noise between the intakes esp with that filter. I like the little hiss i'd like to hear what the difference is on acceleration. I thought about gettin k&n with that filter but it was hard enough to get my kit to CA and i'd have to spend some $$ to get another kit and filter :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The filter will fit fine on the AEM. If you think it's worth it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here's the k&n intake. Hard to hear the whistle in the video but the bypass valve is pretty audible. Sounds really good in person. You can hear a lot of the hiss when driving around.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh god that flutter thats not bypass valve. These things need some sorta BOV, but would probably need to have some electronics else it would throw off the VGT turbo...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Oh god that flutter thats not bypass valve. These things need some sorta BOV, but would probably need to have some electronics else it would throw off the VGT turbo...
I guess the better term for it is a recirculation valve. A recirc valve and a blowoff valve do the same thing, release excess boost pressure from the system. The only difference is that the recirc valve recirculates it back into the intake tube and a blowoff valve vents it to the atmosphere. It is due to the placement of the MAF sensor that determines whether you can use a recirc or blowoff valve. Maf before valve gets a recirc valve. Maf after valve can use a bov. To use a bov on a CTD would require a complete redesign of the intake/charge pipe system.

Regardless, the "flutter" is always there, you just can't hear it with the stock intake system. I only ever hear it when going from about 50% throttle to no throttle instantly. Probably isn't enough pressure to keep the valve open fully and it kind of "bounces". Going from wot to no throttle, I never hear it. Just makes a whoosh noise.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, point to me this bypass valve of yours.

Far as I know it's just a direct line to the turbo, inter cooler, then the intake manifold. There is no bypass or recirculating valve. But I've been known to be completely wrong before, and maybe I'm blind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Snipe, you don't hear your wheel surge very very faintly when driving in town? Could be induction noise i'm imagining when it upshifts and lugs the first second. As for not being able to hear the flutter with the stock intake, no you cannot if you're not trying to make excessive boost. I forced it with the stock intake and its suuuuuuuuuper quiet. I would also like to see much much more videos of us with deletes, i'm very tempted to join the crew but price is steep for having to switch tunes first of all and yada yada.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Snipe, you don't hear your wheel surge very very faintly when driving in town? Could be induction noise i'm imagining when it upshifts and lugs the first second. As for not being able to hear the flutter with the stock intake, no you cannot if you're not trying to make excessive boost. I forced it with the stock intake and its suuuuuuuuuper quiet. I would also like to see much much more videos of us with deletes, i'm very tempted to join the crew but price is steep for having to switch tunes first of all and yada yada.
No I get it more often than not. Usually not when you go wide open throttle, but letting off at 30 to 50% throttle is where it really shows up like Justin said.

As for deleting. Dooo it. Currently it's either me or Fleece if you want a delete. Maybe others once they pick up with my program, but I don't do fabrication so that's kind of a let down. Not really sure what Fleece really does, I'm not in cahoots with them like people keep thinking. Most of my stuff is still pretty early experimental, but they drive so that's something. Had one oh **** moment today but got it figured out. Again I don't know if I'm better or worse than them, but hey, it's an alternative.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts