Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that AMSOIL is filling in the gaps for products. There was a rumor rearlier this year that they were working on a 5W-30 Dexos2 equivalent oil, but they've now verified that their ATF is suitable for use in this transmission as well, which is good since the GM stuff is ridiculously expensive.

The reason why it's important for AMSOIL to recommend a product is because products recommended by AMSOIL are also backed by AMSOIL's warranty as stated. For exmaple, the Signature Series ATF is rated for 2x severe service drain intervals, which will now be covered on the CTD. The OE fluid would serve as an OE fluid replacement. In either case, here are the two fluids that AMSOIL recommends in the AF40 transmission in the Cruze Turbo Diesel:

AMSOIL OE Fuel Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid
AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. If you are interested in ordering, don't forget that you can save ~25% with a Preferred Customer account. The cost of the count more than pays for itself with the discount.

AMSOIL Preferred Customer Registration

I will work on finding the capacity of that transmission as the specification isn't yet listed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What is the real difference between the two fluids recommended? I plan to drain and fill every 30K since I have had Aisin transmissions before and know they last over 200k if you take care of them.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It says Aisin warner aw-1 transmissions. Is out af40-6 a variant of the aw-1?

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the real difference between the two fluids recommended? I plan to drain and fill every 30K since I have had Aisin transmissions before and know they last over 200k if you take care of them.
The difference is the quality of the oil, to put it bluntly. It is the same difference as you'll find between AMSOIL's OE engine oil and their Signature Series engine oil. The former is a OEM drain interval, while the latter is a 25,000 mile oil. With regard to transmissions, the Signature Series handles extreme heat in excess of 350F without failing to protect and lubricate. It is for this reason that it is rated for 2x severe service drain intervals. The OE fluid will be a higher volatility fluid that will be very close to the OE fluid filled in these transmissions. The Signature Series fluid will also shift much better in cold conditions and will have lower parasitic drag for a slight fuel economy increase.

If you're going to drive under normal conditions and change it every 30k, the OE would be fine.

GM seems to group the Diesel's transmission under the same category as the 6T40E in the 1.8 and 1.4T powered Cruzes, which would make it 45k miles severe service or 90k miles normal service. Personally, I would use the signature series fluid at 90k miles. That fluid is an entirely different league from other transmission fluids. The same rules don't apply when the fluid just doesn't break down no matter what you throw at it.

It says Aisin warner aw-1 transmissions. Is out af40-6 a variant of the aw-1?
AW-1 is the fluid specification, while the AF40-6 is the model.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So to sound stupid, (I have heard many different opinions on this), when I switch to Amsoil do I need to do multiple drain and fills to get as much of the stock GM fluid out? Or can I just drain and fill with out worry?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will work on finding the capacity of that transmission as the specification isn't yet listed.
GM Powertrain lists the fluid capacity at 6.96 kilograms including the cooler. Dexron VI density is .846 kg/liter. That makes the capacity 6.96/.846 = 8.227 liters. That's 8.7 quarts.
From what I can determine, just under three quarts drains out when you pull the drain plug.

Here's how to do it: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/201-...28657-how-check-trans-level-2.html#post837801

Reactions: Tomko and KpaxFAQ

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yes to above, it's 2.1 or 2.2 gallons if I remember correctly. You get 2.7-3L or 1/3 of total capacity out each drain and fill. I've read you can bump the starter without starting it to get most of the rest out of the torque converter but haven't tried it.

To another poster AW-1 is the GM fluid for the transmission, not the transmission model number.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
i will definitely be replacing my fluid with amsoil when the time comes (only have 5300km right now)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am glad you posted this. I want to change my tranny fluid, but I am a bit concerned about doing something wrong or putting the wrong quantity in. At 63K miles, I am overdue.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Get the dealership to do it

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get the dealership to do it
The dealership will insist that you run their AW-1 fluid. I didn't quite realize just how expensive it is. A little birdie told me the dealer charges $30 per quart for it. You might find a very gracious dealer who will give it to you for $25 a quart if you service the transmission there, but don't count on it. Amazon has it for $25 a quart. Every 30k miles will get expensive rather quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4062-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B008BZQTSS

I am not allowed to post the prices of AMSOIL products, but you can follow the links to see how much you can get it for, and that's not including the Preferred Customer discount.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
jesus!!!! $30 a quart is insane

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
He's right I've found it for 22/quart from GM parts suppliers online but that's the dirt cheap rock bottom price I've found!

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's right I've found it for 22/quart from GM parts suppliers online but that's the dirt cheap rock bottom price I've found!
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that $22/quart didn't include shipping either...

·
Registered
611 Posts
When the times comes (I'm about 8000 miles short of 30000), I will def. be getting in on this. As someone posted earlier, I'll just take it to the dealer and have them put it in for me. They have been awesome about using my own oil, so I see no reason why they would give me a hard time with this. Then I should be good until 100000 miles!

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
synthetic is logical in engines, diffs, transfer cases, standard transmission, etc...more slippery is gooder...(even if not cost effective)

not so much in a automatic transmission designed around a specific fluid and its specific properties

·
Administrator
15,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
synthetic is logical in engines, diffs, transfer cases, standard transmission, etc...more slippery is gooder...(even if not cost effective)

not so much in a automatic transmission designed around a specific fluid and its specific properties
I don't intend to insult you, but I really wish people like you would do some research before they come out and say whatever they want. I'd be willing to bet you anything the OE fluid is synthetic. The fluid in all GM vehicles for the past several years have required DEX6 fluid, which IS a synthetic fluid.

Automatic transmission fluid formulation depends on far more than just the lubricity of the fluid. Like engine oils, transmission fluids also have additives that are designed to help the fluid perform to a certain specifications. The transmission needs to protect the drive chain/sprockets, the differential, transfer heat, serve as a hydraulic fluid that can be pumped, reduce friction for fuel economy purposes, provide friction for clutch plates, and provide comfort, performance, and protection under a very large range of temperatures. While your engine oil will operate at a very small temperature range, a transmission will need to cover all of those factors under a very wide range of temperatures. It is by a long shot the most complex fluid that goes into a car, so to have you proclaim with no supporting evidence that synthetic fluids are bad for automatic transmissions (despite their very wide use in the industry, including in your own vehicle) is not just baffling, but demonstrably ignorant.

This fluid has been recommended by AMSOIL for the CTD after thorough testing to ensure that it meets the minimum requirements for all of the criteria I mentioned above as specified by the AW-1 fluid specification. If AMSOIL's fluid would not perform as well or better than the AW-1 fluid specified for this transmission in all aforementioned criteria, they would not be recommending it. For example, while I recommend AMSOIL Synchromesh for our M32 manual transmission (which we have unanimously concluded is the best OE replacement), AMSOIL does not have an official recommendation for that transmission as none of their fluids meet the specifications of the OE fluid, likely because AMSOIL simply doesn't make anything with such a low viscosity that would be suitable for a manual transmission. The fact that they recommended their two Fuel Efficient ATFs for this application also means they accept liability should anything happen as a result of this fluid, which is not a liability they will take on simply to make a few bucks off of a very small market. AMSOIL's recommendation means that even their OE Fuel Efficient ATF meets the minimum specifications of the AW-1 transmission fluid that is in your vehicle right now.

There's a heck of a lot more to synthetic lubricants, and even moreso synthetic automatic transmission fluids, than simply how "slippery" it is.

For the record, the word you were looking for is not "gooder," but "better."

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I don't intend to insult you, but I really wish people like you would do some research before they come out and say whatever they want. I'd be willing to bet you anything the OE fluid is synthetic. The fluid in all GM vehicles for the past several years have required DEX6 fluid, which IS a synthetic fluid.

Automatic transmission fluid formulation depends on far more than just the lubricity of the fluid. Like engine oils, transmission fluids also have additives that are designed to help the fluid perform to a certain specifications. The transmission needs to protect the drive chain/sprockets, the differential, transfer heat, serve as a hydraulic fluid that can be pumped, reduce friction for fuel economy purposes, provide friction for clutch plates, and provide comfort, performance, and protection under a very large range of temperatures. While your engine oil will operate at a very small temperature range, a transmission will need to cover all of those factors under a very wide range of temperatures. It is by a long shot the most complex fluid that goes into a car, so to have you proclaim with no supporting evidence that synthetic fluids are bad for automatic transmissions (despite their very wide use in the industry, including in your own vehicle) is not just baffling, but demonstrably ignorant.

This fluid has been recommended by AMSOIL for the CTD after thorough testing to ensure that it meets the minimum requirements for all of the criteria I mentioned above as specified by the AW-1 fluid specification. If AMSOIL's fluid would not perform as well or better than the AW-1 fluid specified for this transmission in all aforementioned criteria, they would not be recommending it. For example, while I recommend AMSOIL Synchromesh for our M32 manual transmission (which we have unanimously concluded is the best OE replacement), AMSOIL does not have an official recommendation for that transmission as none of their fluids meet the specifications of the OE fluid, likely because AMSOIL simply doesn't make anything with such a low viscosity that would be suitable for a manual transmission. The fact that they recommended their two Fuel Efficient ATFs for this application also means they accept liability should anything happen as a result of this fluid, which is not a liability they will take on simply to make a few bucks off of a very small market. AMSOIL's recommendation means that even their OE Fuel Efficient ATF meets the minimum specifications of the AW-1 transmission fluid that is in your vehicle right now.

There's a heck of a lot more to synthetic lubricants, and even moreso synthetic automatic transmission fluids, than simply how "slippery" it is.

For the record, the word you were looking for is not "gooder," but "better."
so youre saying that gm puts dexron 6 in the vehicle and at the same time they specifically tell the customer not to use dexron 6?

no, i chose gooder on porpoise.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts