Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a 14 CTD this week. What oil are you guys running in your engine and transmission? I like amsoil and rotella products. Have actually only ran amsoil in toys and lawn equipment, so running it in a vehicle will be different for me. Just looking for what people like and recommend. I appreciate you guys!

·
Registered
90 Posts
We discussed this before in the other thread.

Amsoil recommends you use the DHD 5w30, which surprisingly isn't a Dexos 2 oil. DHD 5w30 is a CK-4/SN lube so it has reduced ZDDP and sulfated ash of 0.91

You can use any CK-4 or CJ-4 oil in these cars. 5w30 or 10w30 depending on your ambient temperature conditions in winter. Synthetic 10w oils are good to 0F. These cars have fuel dilution due to the DPF regeneration strategy so a thicker 10w30 or 5w40 is also a good idea so it stays in grade throughout the whole 7500 miles.

The CK-4 and CJ-4 oils have higher Anti-Wear additives in addition to enhanced soot dispersion and detergent qualities.

You can also use a C3 or Dexos 2 oil in 5w30, 5w40 or 0w40 if you care less about the engine protection and more focused about extending the life of the emissions system. Youll need 5 quarts of oil.

The Opel engine has a cartridge style filter, you must remove the filter assembly while the drain plug is out. The filter assembly holds about 0.5 to 1 quart of oil. If you remove this after the drain plug is tightened you will not get all of the old oil out during the change and potentially could overfill the engine.

I need to change my transmission fluid soon, I'm gonna order the Signature series fuel efficient synthetic ATF. 7.4 quarts is required for the fill

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand where you're coming from. Still have a hard time seeing what other people are using and the support to get away from Dexos2. I did see others using the same oil in their transmission. Wish there was a better oil thread on here about what oil people are using.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Money. There are a good selection of oils which probably meet Dexos 2 but simply don't pay or take the time.

In addition there is a division between Europe and NA when it comes to modern oil development and what is considered acceptable. With newer formulations this isn't quite as true. But this was a big reason why some common oils are not Dexos 1 or 2.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I already told you most people use whatever the bulk oil the dealer uses or buys the Dexos 2 that walmart sells.

Dexos 2 isn't a real hard spec to meet. There are even some synthetic blends that can be Labeled as Dexos 2, not even full synthetic.

It ain't rocket science. All modern diesels have the same basic requirements. Anti-Wear, Friction reduction, Soot control and detergency. Some oils focus on engine protection and others focus on emssions system protection. Take your pick, but you can only choose one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand you have said what you have, but I am seeking other input as well. I am a researcher and do just that. I want to find someone that has used x amsoil product for xx,xxx miles and has had great results. I am more of an engine guy than an emissions guy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Money. There are a good selection of oils which probably meet Dexos 2 but simply don't pay or take the time.

In addition there is a division between Europe and NA when it comes to modern oil development and what is considered acceptable. With newer formulations this isn't quite as true. But this was a big reason why some common oils are not Dexos 1 or 2.
I will have to take this into consideration as well as Diesel4Ever's statements.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think you need the Amsoil signature series unless you plan on extending out past 7500 miles. SS uses amsoil's best base oils which are supposed to last for 1yr or 25K miles. Kinda overkill for a 7500 mile oil change interval.

I use the Renewable Lubricants Biosyn SHP HD in 10w40. It's a CJ-4 lubricant primarily made from Esterfied Vegetable oils (Corn, Canola, Soy, Etc). http://renewablelube.com/files/3014/8977/5452/Bio-SynXtra_HD_Plus_SHP_SAE_10W30_Motor_Oil_LA.pdf

In my experience, Biosyn in a diesel engine, is good for 10k miles or one year of use. I've also used Mobil Delvac ESP in 5w40.

There is also Delvac ESP 5w30 and Delvac LE 5w30 which are CK-4/SN lubes. A similar formula to the Amsoil DHD 5w30 mentioned in the previous post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have some experience with Delvac on Cat C32 engines. I see they do have a Dexos2 5W-30. Just up in the air. Have heard so much about amsoil, but also don't want to destroy emissions or engine! I wish it was still easy to delete and the EPA didn't lay the smack down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is no Delvac that is Dexos 2. There is a Mobil 1 ESP in 5w30 and 0w40 that's Dexos 2 but it's not a Heavy Duty Engine OIl like Delvac. Mobil 1 ESP is for passenger cars that are diesels like VW TDIs, Cruzes and 2.8 Duramax trucks. Mobil 1 ESP = Emissions System Protection

Delvac ESP is a different oil.

Your not going to destroy the emissions or engine. Don't be so dramatic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Generally speaking, I appreciate your help, but you're rather pushy for helping others. I simply want to converse with other people of similar interests. I also want to protect my new investment by doing right to it. And you are correct. I misread their website. I clicked the delvac. I have read the ESP and understand that most people like it. Thanks for your time man. Hoping someone here has used amsoil still.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah sure no problem. Just trying to explain all this stuff in a simple way and what different acronmyms mean. Sorry if it wasn't well received.

If you decide to go with any Amsoil products, I know a guy who is a dealer and if you use his referral number on any Amsoil products > $100 he will refund your 6 month PC membership cost. So you get 25% off, free shipping and a free PC membership. Send me a Private message and I'll give you his contact information. Good luck in your search...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
ive used the cheapest c3 oil i could find for all my oil changes....mostly total ineo 5w30

ive used the motorcraft xt8qaw for the trans, its the cheapest i can find

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm approaching 93K without any problems, Always pennsoil (dexos 2 bought at Walmart for $22 for 5 quart jug) with about 10% life left on oil monitor.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,033 Posts
If you're going to change it every 7500 miles or so, just go with the Penzoil Euro L from Walmart, because it's the most economical way to get dependable protection for 7500 miles.

If your emissions system is intact, don't go with anything that's not Dexos2 or C3, or exceeds those specs. You will see cascading sensor failures and/or DPF problems. I took my vehicle to the dealer for the 4 free services when it was new, and they filled with a Mobil 0w-30 (there was no Mobil 0w-30 with a Dexos2 or C3 or better spec in mid-2014). I ended up servicing the emissions system 5 times in the following 18 months. Once I got that all sorted out, the next 80k miles on the emissions system were trouble-free (except the DEF reservoir special coverage, which is unrelated to oil). You can find many similar accounts in the forum if you look at threads from late-2013 through 2015, when proper oil for our vehicles could be difficult to obtain. The AMSOil European 5w-30 has consistently performed well for some of our earliest and highest-mileage Cruze Diesel owners. There's also a thread out there of a Cruze that drove over 100k miles on a fill of this oil, with just filter changes and top-offs, and the last oil analysis before he changed it showed he probably could have gotten a bit longer out of it.

If your emissions are deleted, go wild with whatever diesel oil you think will provide the best protection and the change intervals you desire.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts