Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Dexos2 and you won't have anything to worry about. If you search hard enough you can get GM branded Dexos2 around 5 dollars a quart. With a filter and doing it yourself you'll be around 25 dollars and 15 to 25 minutes. Very easy car to change oil in. BTW go ahead and get a new drain plug now.

Attachments

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,033 Posts
Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Dexos2 and you won't have anything to worry about. If you search hard enough you can get GM branded Dexos2 around 5 dollars a quart. With a filter and doing it yourself you'll be around 25 dollars and 15 to 25 minutes. Very easy car to change oil in. BTW go ahead and get a new drain plug now.
Or switch to a Fumoto valve. I've had mine converted over for about 4 changes now. It doesn't drain quite as quickly, but it makes life a lot easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I got this reply this morning from Amsoil:

So why then is the DHD listed if it isnt Dexos2? Wouldn't they list the dexos2 approved oil if the dealer recommends it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking at getting a 14 CTD this week. What oil are you guys running in your engine and transmission? I like amsoil and rotella products. Have actually only ran amsoil in toys and lawn equipment, so running it in a vehicle will be different for me. Just looking for what people like and recommend. I appreciate you guys!
Currently using LIQUI MOLY.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2014 Diesel that I bought with 53,000 miles on it. It’s now a little over 138,000. I have been using Amsoil European 5W-30 since I bought it, changing when the DIC recommended (about 7500 miles). Last summer I decided to have the oil analyzed, and it came back showing the oil still very good for use. Just last week I drew another sample, changed filter and topped off. That sample has also come back as good for continued use. I now have over 18,000 miles on this oil, and fully expect it to make it to 25,000 miles. I will probably change it at that point. The Amsoil European is pricey up front, but if it’s good for this many miles it becomes cheap.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm also using the Penzoil Euro L from Walmart, and I usually change at about 20% on the OLM. This for all 4 Diesel Cruzes, one Gen 1, and 3 Gen 2s. There is Amsoil 5W 40 that is Dexos 2, ironically it was the oil recommended for my 2004 Land Rover Discovery, but I'm sure it would work in the Cruze as well, but certainly at additional cost, and it bumps up the viscosity a bit. There was a Valvoline Dexos 2 at Walmart as well, but did not see it last trip.. that was also 5W40 oil. I used a quart to top off my Cummins Diesel pick up.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts