Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
At which point it maybe too late to perform preventative maintenence
As many GM, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc owners in the last 2 decades found out...

Guys, I'm not posting this to make a buck. Talk to anyone who bought some and they'll tell you the arrangement I created (or ask me directly). I'm posting this so people have a much more cost effective way to preventively maintain their cars and ensure problem-free operation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
GM makes no claims that Dexron VI is synthetic.
Find me a fluid that meets the Dexron VI specification that isn't synthetic or at minimum a "synthetic blend."

·
Registered
405 Posts
Having my Wife's fluid changed on Friday. Her car is overdue with 60k miles on it, but the dealer has been booked for the last 6 months.

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I just changed my Tranny oil, i just drained 4.5L and put the same amount in of Amsoil Premium Fuel eff oil and right away i noticed the smoothness of shifting !

Since our Autobox have 9 litres of oil and since i dont want to use a machine or change oil 3 times in a row to purge, i decided that i would drain and put 4.5L every year. :)

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I just changed my Tranny oil, i just drained 4.5L and put the same amount in of Amsoil Premium Fuel eff oil and right away i noticed the smoothness of shifting !

Since our Autobox have 9 litres of oil and since i dont want to use a machine or change oil 3 times in a row to purge, i decided that i would drain and put 4.5L every year. :)
Thanks for reporting back. Your experience echoes that of everyone else who has run this fluid in their car. Once a year sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
791 Posts

that's the smart way to do it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
DEXRON-VI is made from a blend of Group II and Group III base oils plus the additives package.
It does not contain any PAO(polyalphaolefin) which would make it a "true synthetic" Group IV. The word synthetic has been "bastardized". It's come to mean lots of different things.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts

XR and others, I wanted to do this as well but it is a shame that the amsoil is going to get contaminated with the old crap :(

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am in process of doing a transmission drain, fill, and repeat myself.

I have a 2011 that is just a hair under 70,00km or 44,000 miles.

I started today, with engine warm after a short trip, by running the front end up on rhino ramps. Drained the fluid. Then I jacked rear end up to level and checked to see how much more would come out. Only about 1/2 liter or quart more. Measured the total of what drained out, like many others, 4.5 liters. I filled with Valoline's Dex VI. I will run this for day or two.

I am picking up two gallons of Amsoil ATL tomorrow from my local rep. I will drain and fill again with a 50/50 Valvoline and Amsoil. Since I have leftover Valvoline. I then run that for a bit and then finally swap a third time with straight Amsoil ATL.

My fluid was still clean and clear, but turning brown. No horrible burned smell. I look s dark in the jug and drain pan but you could still see through it as it drained. Time for road testing.

Adm

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
XR and others, I wanted to do this as well but it is a shame that the amsoil is going to get contaminated with the old crap :(
You could perform 3 fluid changes if you wanted to. The concentration of old fluid would go down to like 18%. Still better than putting the same old crap back in there lol.

·
Registered
405 Posts
What are all the tools I would need to perform a transmission fluid change on the Cruze the correct way that the dealer would do it? I had the dealer do my Wife's car, but for $190 I would be willing to buy the tools to do this myself from now on if possible.

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
What are all the tools I would need to perform a transmission fluid change on the Cruze the correct way that the dealer would do it? I had the dealer do my Wife's car, but for $190 I would be willing to buy the tools to do this myself from now on if possible.

Sent from my Droid Ultra
Last I remember, a socket and an allen bit. There's a tutorial in the how-to section I believe. It's not all that difficult and doesn't require any special tools. People seem to be having good success putting back exactly as much fluid as they've drained without having to worry about leveling the car and pulling the drain plug when the transmission is warmed up.

Remember, that $190 uses, (as I've just discovered) a group 2/3 synthetic blend. The AMSOIL fluid is at least a group 4 if not with some group 5 Ester in there. It is no wonder that they guarantee it for 2x severe service intervals. Let me know if you want to order some and I'll set you up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Many thanks to XtremeRevolution for all his research on Amsoil products. I have already used Amsoil engine oil from my first oil change onward. This is the first time I've used Amsoil trans fluid in my Cruze. Since I prefer to do things the right way, I had my dealer do a complete trans flush.
I gave the mechanic 12 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient trans fluid.
The tranny holds 9 quarts and the extra 3 quarts are used in the flushing process. This ensures that there is no more factory trans fluid left in the system. I feel the car now has more torque and predictable shifting.
Do it the proper way and get rid of the factory fluid completely. After all it is your car...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Last I remember, a socket and an allen bit. There's a tutorial in the how-to section I believe. It's not all that difficult and doesn't require any special tools. People seem to be having good success putting back exactly as much fluid as they've drained without having to worry about leveling the car and pulling the drain plug when the transmission is warmed up.

Remember, that $190 uses, (as I've just discovered) a group 2/3 synthetic blend. The AMSOIL fluid is at least a group 4 if not with some group 5 Ester in there. It is no wonder that they guarantee it for 2x severe service intervals. Let me know if you want to order some and I'll set you up.

I saw earlier back that you mentioned a scan tool of some kind to check the fluid temperature to get the fluid level accurate. Is that something that would help me out if I change the fluid myself?

My car currently has 10,000 miles on it, and I plan to change my fluid at 25,000. After reading through this post I will be putting better fluid in when I do mine which will be AMSOIL.

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Many thanks to XtremeRevolution for all his research on Amsoil products. I have already used Amsoil engine oil from my first oil change onward. This is the first time I've used Amsoil trans fluid in my Cruze. Since I prefer to do things the right way, I had my dealer do a complete trans flush.
I gave the mechanic 12 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient trans fluid.
The tranny holds 9 quarts and the extra 3 quarts are used in the flushing process. This ensures that there is no more factory trans fluid left in the system. I feel the car now has more torque and predictable shifting.
Do it the proper way and get rid of the factory fluid completely. After all it is your car...
This is one reason I recommend that people order a case of oil if they're going to take it to their dealers. While the service manual recommends to drains and refills, I have found that some dealerships still perform a full flush of the system, allowing the internal fluid pump to cycle the new fluid in and old fluid out. That is ultimately the best way, so buying a case of the fluid would be ideal. Just make sure that if they don't do it that way, that they give you back what they didn't use.

I saw earlier back that you mentioned a scan tool of some kind to check the fluid temperature to get the fluid level accurate. Is that something that would help me out if I change the fluid myself?

My car currently has 10,000 miles on it, and I plan to change my fluid at 25,000. After reading through this post I will be putting better fluid in when I do mine which will be AMSOIL.

Sent from my Droid Ultra
I had thought this at first based on what I had been told by a technician, but having a manual transmission in my car, I never verified. I have now talked to dozens of people who have drained and refilled their fluid on their own, by measuring what came out and putting back in exactly that much, which I believe to be a good (and much easier) alternative, as long as you can assure a reasonable level of accuracy.

My personal recommendation is that you get the fluid swapped out ASAP and not wait till 25k, but that is only so you would be running a higher quality fluid instead of the OE fluid, which is already contaminated with rust inhibitors. It really is up to you. People have noted greatly improved shifting when changing the fluid out at anywhere from 10k miles to 60k miles.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It's odd though how much better my 14 shifts compared to my Wife's 12. Even when hers was new it never acted as smooth as mine does. Hers was clunky, and rough, mine has never acted like that. That's why I wasn't to worried about new fluid yet.

I'm leery on changing mine out on my own. I need to read up on it more, and figure out my plan exactly to do it on my own. If I can do it on my own I'll probably do it soon. If I have a shop do it then it probably won't happen until the 20,000 mile mark or so. Not in the budget at this point.

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
Administrator
15,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It's odd though how much better my 14 shifts compared to my Wife's 12. Even when hers was new it never acted as smooth as mine does. Hers was clunky, and rough, mine has never acted like that. That's why I wasn't to worried about new fluid yet.

I'm leery on changing mine out on my own. I need to read up on it more, and figure out my plan exactly to do it on my own. If I can do it on my own I'll probably do it soon. If I have a shop do it then it probably won't happen until the 20,000 mile mark or so. Not in the budget at this point.

Sent from my Droid Ultra
Supposedly GM went around telling dealer techs about the corrosion inhibitor problem with the fluid and said they'd stop doing that. I know it was a problem for 2011, 2012, and 2013, so maybe by 2014 they fixed it.
Still, being what is apparently a synthetic blend, I'd change it for something better if you want to keep it long-term. It's just not quite as urgent.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Supposedly GM went around telling dealer techs about the corrosion inhibitor problem with the fluid and said they'd stop doing that. I know it was a problem for 2011, 2012, and 2013, so maybe by 2014 they fixed it.
Still, being what is apparently a synthetic blend, I'd change it for something better if you want to keep it long-term. It's just not quite as urgent.

Oh yea, it'll definitely be changed out for better fluid at an early mileage interval. Just wish I had my Wife's done sooner.

Sent from my Droid Ultra

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just had the fluid done on my '13 LT when I had the halfshaft recall done. I took in 3 gallon jugs of fluid and was charged $65 to do the "flush" and total replacement. On my car with 13k miles it made a world of difference in shifting smoothness. I highly recommend switching out the fluid as early as you can make it happen, you won't regret it.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts