Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Amsoil Synchromesh, Coolant Smell, and Sticking Steering on Highway

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Sunline Fan 
#1 ·
So......Took my 2013 ECO 6MT to a local Chevy dealer, on Monday, to have them change out my MT fluid (19k on the car), check into the coolant odor I'm getting, and check the issue with the steering wheel "sticking" slightly when making small corrections on the highway. Here's a summary of each issue/resolution:

1. The dealer (not the Dealer I bought the car from) agreed to do the MT fluid change with the 2 quarts of AMSOIL Synchromesh I provided, for only the cost of labor, and disposal. they were GREAT about it, and didn't try to push the GM crap on me........WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!.......The notchiness from 2nd to 3rd is gone immediately, and it is much smoother shifting, even when cold, first thing in the morning. Should have made the change, earlier. HUGE difference.
  2. Coolant odor in cabin ONLY when running defrost, and most noticeable after cornering (long sweeping turn off the highway), but NO coolant smell from center vents when I switch from defrost to center vent heat... Dealer found no leaks, no wetness on floor (heater core), no issues with the water pump. We checked the overflow tank, and there was no residue around the hose clamp and seams indicating a leak.......I talked with the Sevice Manager for awhile trying to figure it out. I then decided to run heat only for a couple of days, both center vents, and floor vents, to see if the smell returned..........NO SMELL!!.......With the defrost on, smell returned from floor, and defrost vents. Could it be that some coolant, or grease residue, is swishing around under the condenser, in the condensation water, when the car is cornering? Anyway...There is NO coolant smell, whatsoever, in the car when running heat only (from floor, or center vents). Also, no coolant smell in the garage when I park.........Any ideas????
  3. Dealer confirmed the slight steering stick, but stated that they did not see any bulletins, or recalls, from GM. The 2 Sevice desk girls, who both own Cruzes, told me they have noticed the same issue, but have not yet brought their cars in for it......For now, it's slight, and not a huge problem, so I can wait until it gets worse, or they come out with a fix......Has anyone had this issue fixed (really fixed?)?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear of these concerns that you had with your vehicle. I understand that you have taken your Cruze to the dealership and had a pleasant visit. Please feel free to follow up with us about your dealership visit. We will be glad to document your feedback within our system. If our assistance is needed, please send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, involved dealership and current mileage. Also, I understand that you still have a concern with your steering stick. We will be sure to keep an eye out and address the forum if there is a resolution for it. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#4 ·
You're not the first... wait, you were the other owner I was remembering with the cornering related odors:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-s...resolution-summary-post818338.html#post818338

You've got me and a few others stumped on that one. The only thing I can think of after thinking about it again is maybe the air in the car is shifting as you turn, making the smell more apparent? In the winter when the car is warming up and all the warm air is in the front of the interior, taking a turn will "rotate" the car body in relation to the air inside and you can feel colder air relocating. It's a REAL long shot, but maybe the air currents inside the car with the defroster on are pulling the odors from an area that doesn't usually get exposure to your nose?

Sorry, that's a pretty weak stab at it but it's the best I've got.

The only other thing I can cook up is, the surge tank is on the left side of the car so turning right would create a force pushing coolant into the surge tank... but for that to happen air would have to get in somewhere on the right to let the coolant travel to the left. Again, weak...

Nice job with the Synchromesh, and WRT the steering the only two things I've heard any success from are lubing the boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall (with an appropriate lube, not something that will evaporate like WD40), and replacing the steering angle sensor. A GM tech did that to his personal car, which requires calibrating the system after the swap, and claimed the issue went away with no other intervention. This is the one and only case of this helping that I've read. You may try getting your dealer to scan the sensor and see if there's a dead spot in the sensor travel. ?

Good luck, and let us know if you get anything figured out.

#5 ·
I just took my car in today (they are keeping it overnight) for the coolant odour in the cabin. Though I have also smelled anitfreeze outside under the hood after a long drive. My coolant level has dropped to the bottom part of the arrow indicator on the surge tank. I have also witnessed the sticky steering on the highway, but only a few times. I have yet to change to Synchromesh, maybe this summer. I will post when I get my car back.
Blue Angel, which GM dealership do you take your car to? I am also in Ottawa.

#8 ·
That's awesome that your dealer had no problem swapping your trans fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.