Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, before you read. Just know i am a big amsoil fan and use the full syn sig series in my 2014 1.4t auto

i buy my amsoil from a friendly reputable napa repair center i'll leave anonymous. However everytime i go in to buy the 5w-30 full syn, the manager continually tries to downsell me to a lower grade amsoil. It is a similar product but not the sig series, why is this? Also, i go about 6000 miles on an oil change with this oil and he tells me i can go double that. I always change my oil when i get below 10% olm. Am i ok or can i actaully wait longer let alone use a lower grade oil??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Run it the 6,000 miles that you've been doing and get an oil/tbn analysis done and see how much life it's got left in it. People will jump in saying you're an idiot for changing it sooner than 10-15k, if you want to change it sooner then do it. I ran Amsoil Sig Series for 5k and dumped it, why you ask, because i wanted to. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Signature Series is arguably the finest motor oil available on the market.

It may be overkill in your usage. But it will definetly be no harm.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
I am truly confident that signature series will extend our turbo life if not eliminate turbo wear altogether. The deposit formation resistance is much better, the volatility much lower, and the usable life much longer. I don't think it's overkill at all. In fact, since it is a turbocharged engine, I think it is quite appropriate.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Oil isn't overkill, premium gas in 2014 or newer is debatable, I had 14 Eco and it ran just fine on regular. With premium gas in Indy being 50 cents more a gallon, at 2.00 for regular and 2.50 for premium that's 25% more, I think that's a lot. I run diesel now so isn't an issue for me.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The issue you have in my opinion is if the car is still under power train warranty and you do 15k oil changes and there is an engine issue it may not be the easiest road to get gm to cover warranty, so the oil may last that long but does the filter and are you opening yourself up to possible warranty issues?

·
10,712 Posts
The issue you have in my opinion is if the car is still under power train warranty and you do 15k oil changes and there is an engine issue it may not be the easiest road to get gm to cover warranty, so the oil may last that long but does the filter and are you opening yourself up to possible warranty issues?
I do 10K intervals and dealer changes it. Already had other things fail and they skipped the "what oil and how long" questions and got me in a loaner.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
The filter does not last that long, and anyone who does run 15k mile intervals is strongly advised to replace the filter at 7500 miles. It is usually appropriate that the oil life monitor is reset at that time as well.

I've taken my vehicle in for powertrain service twice so far. I've had countless people take their vehicles in for service for blown pistons, bad turbos, and even a spun bearing. Not once, out of any of those instances, did that dealer come back to the owner and ask them what oil they used or what interval it was used for. There has to be a probable cause for the oil causing a failure for them to even bring it up. Personally, I just wouldn't tell them. In order for your drain interval to cause the failure, there has to be something indicating that the oil broke down enough to have caused that failure. Something like this, for example (which was covered under powertrain warranty):

1.4 Turbo failure - Album on Imgur

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The filter does not last that long, and anyone who does run 15k mile intervals is strongly advised to replace the filter at 7500 miles. It is usually appropriate that the oil life monitor is reset at that time as well.

I've taken my vehicle in for powertrain service twice so far. I've had countless people take their vehicles in for service for blown pistons, bad turbos, and even a spun bearing. Not once, out of any of those instances, did that dealer come back to the owner and ask them what oil they used or what interval it was used for. There has to be a probable cause for the oil causing a failure for them to even bring it up. Personally, I just wouldn't tell them. In order for your drain interval to cause the failure, there has to be something indicating that the oil broke down enough to have caused that failure. Something like this, for example (which was covered under powertrain warranty):

Thanks for the clarification especially on the filter. My concern is if given some internal failure which I haven't had since the 1980s is I would guess they would ask for receipts and when oil was changed. In owners manual it states we can go up to 600 miles after oil life monitor goes to zero. How do you produce receipts if you are doing basically two times the oil life monitor going to zero? After power train warranty is over it isn't an issue. Thanks

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
Thanks for the clarification especially on the filter. My concern is if given some internal failure which I haven't had since the 1980s is I would guess they would ask for receipts and when oil was changed. In owners manual it states we can go up to 600 miles after oil life monitor goes to zero. How do you produce receipts if you are doing basically two times the oil life monitor going to zero? After power train warranty is over it isn't an issue. Thanks
Can they ask you for receipts? I spoke to a master GM tech who worked on a failed transmission and he said they pulled an oil sample and sent it out for analysis. I would expect any other dealer to do the same, but as before, they won't even look at the oil unless there is probable cause, and that probably cause is a visual indication that a lubrication failure occurred.

I don't keep my receipts for things I buy unless I need to register them for a warranty or if it's a big ticket item. Oil certainly isn't a big ticket item. I'm not saying nobody should, but simply that I don't care to, and I think that will apply for many other people as well.

If your dealer did start to talk about what oil you're using, it would be up to them to prove that the lubricant failed, although there's a case to be made for AMSOIL getting involved if the dealer claims the oil caused the failure.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Thanks for your response extreme, the oil receipt since I haven't had issues with any engine under warranty, I assumed the dealer could request proof of maintenance performed. It's not the oil per say but the engine replacement could be thousands of dollars. I will keep receipts if I decide to change my own oil. I will probably let my dealer change the oil while under warranty then there is never ANY question of was it serviced. My Diesel engine might exceed the value of the car towards the end of my warranty.

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I keep all receipts for a car.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

I am changing my filter twice a year from now (fall and spring before the extreme weather hits usually change oil before winter like to have that clean oil when it is -10 degrees). That will be about half of the 7500 you recommend probably closer to 4000 miles. Filters are what 7 bucks for WIX or OEM GM and I swear changing the filter on this car is easiest darn thing to do (and you lose zero oil) and if it will make the turbo last longer heck maybe I will change it quarterly. :)

I like that caption on the photo. This won't end well :signlol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Who should we listen to, the car manufacturer's recommendations or the oil manufacturer's recommendations?

It IS overkill if you pay 60$ for oil and only use it for 5-6k miles....if you use it the rated 10-15k then totally appropriate.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Who should we listen to, the car manufacturer's recommendations or the oil manufacturer's recommendations?
Listen to whoever will warranty (or pay for) the repair of the engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well in my case I have no warranty. None was left on my Cruze when I bought it. So I'm on my own. I am curious though, with the OLM how many miles is that set to?

Listen to whoever will warranty (or pay for) the repair of the engine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts