Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for the experience of folks who have had Amsoil in their manual transmission for an extended period. (preferably northern tier states or Canada). I just had my transmission replaced at 69K miles under warranty. It had the 6th gear howl as well as the moving shift lever in low gears. I had changed the oil for Amsoil at 45K, but I think the damage was already done, as only about 1.3 quarts came out. The Amsoil was also rather noisy during the winter cold. I have fresh Amsoil waiting to go in; I would just like to reassure myself that is the best option.

·
Administrator
25,079 Posts
Stick with the AMSOil but make sure it's filled to the 2.4 qt spec. The Vaxhaul guys in England use the same transmission and discovered that it needs just shy of 2.5 qts to properly lubricate the higher gears.

·
Registered
791 Posts
theres a product called molyslip which I would add to your amsoil. I usually get it at Napa . ask for manual trans version. been using this for decades.
I also use amsoil in everything I own.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
theres a product called molyslip which I would add to your amsoil. I usually get it at Napa . ask for manual trans version. been using this for decades.
I also use amsoil in everything I own.
AMSOIL recommends against additives in their synthetic oils, and Synchromesh has been working excellently for members without any.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had the Amsoil synchromesh in mine since 30,000 (at 42,500 now) and it's performed very consistently. I'd have no pause about using it.

·
10,695 Posts
I'm running the other Manual oil and been good summer and winter with tune the entire interval. OEM fluid froze on me 2 winters ago and that pretty much pushed me into getting it more than the 1>2 grind.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
amsoil is a great product but it can`t repair a worn transmission whereas molyslip will help mast some of the problems.
Under warranty though, I would rather make it very clear for the dealer that the trans needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the comments. 2.5 quarts of Amsoil is in. Amazing to me after GM now says fill should be 2.3-2.4 quarts, I only was able to drain just under 2 quarts. Is there any hard evidence the entire amount does not drain? Or maybe a tech looked at the old spec?

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Thanks to all for the comments. 2.5 quarts of Amsoil is in. Amazing to me after GM now says fill should be 2.3-2.4 quarts, I only was able to drain just under 2 quarts. Is there any hard evidence the entire amount does not drain? Or maybe a tech looked at the old spec?
The 2.4 quart spec is recent. Some people have drained out only 1.3-1.5 quarts. In fact, on the AMSOIL site (which pulls factory service manual specs), they list the 2012 manual capacity at 2.7 pints, or 1.3 quarts. Same transmission in the 2015 listing is up to 3.8 pints now. Can't wait to see what they spec for the 2016 model.

I'd put in 2.5 quarts.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The 2.4 quart spec is recent. Some people have drained out only 1.3-1.5 quarts. In fact, on the AMSOIL site (which pulls factory service manual specs), they list the 2012 manual capacity at 2.7 pints, or 1.3 quarts. Same transmission in the 2015 listing is up to 3.8 quarts now. Can't wait to see what they spec for the 2016 model.

I'd put in 2.5 quarts.
LOL you almost made me panic when you said 3.8 "Quarts" .... however imagine this spec "fill to less than 2 inches from the top and install an overflow recovery tank"

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
LOL you almost made me panic when you said 3.8 "Quarts" .... however imagine this spec "fill to less than 2 inches from the top and install an overflow recovery tank"
Haha, that would be something.

My mistake, I meant to say pints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts