Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '12 eco with 42K on the clock. I have an oil spot (pictured below) on that cross member. It's rather large, I have checked the oil regularly and I'm not very low. I'm thinking it's the oil feed pipe. My plan is to wipe up the oil and see if it returns. If it does, I'll be making a write up for replacing it. I don't think I'll need to change the oil when doing this, but, if I get oil all over myself, I'll have a definitive answer. I didn't have time last night to climb around underneath and search for the origin of this leak, but, I have my suspicion. I could be completely wrong, and any advice or ideas are accepted and appreciated! I'll look into this more after work. View attachment 145298

·
Premium Member
237 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually, yeah. But, I have to drive at least an hour to a decent dealership. It's better if I just fix it myself.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
That leak is front left as you're facing the car? The thermostat is directly above that area. But you're saying it's oil..

It's too far forward to be the oil leaking from the seals on the crankshaft sensors, The oil return line from the Turbo back into the pan?

Clausses- I've been following this forum for nearly 4 years, you have me stumped.

The top of the hose looks wet as well..Wierd..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also, Carbon02, yes. That's the passenger side. That's why I'm confused as heck, too. I felt it. It's oil. I checked the dipstick and I'm for sure leaking a little. It's been about 20% on my oil life monitor and I reset that the last time I did an oil change. I was down like a quarter of a quart. I'll be jacking it up and getting under it in a little while. I think it's leaking from something onto the intercooler pipe and dripping down onto the crossmember. I may be pulling the under-cover thing to get a better look.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep in mind that I'm not an expert-mechanic and not super experienced. As soon as I figure out what the heck is going on, I'll be doing a write up. This could be a lengthy fix or a 30 minute thing. I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The only thing on that side of the engine that's up high that could drip on the intercooler piping could be the transmission cooler above the radiator?

Are we dealing with a 1.4L AT? That has a dedicated tranny cooler that's part of the radiator assembly. The connections are on the other side of the radiator, so that's not it. It almost looks like some oil is being pulled through the radiator. I doubt that is the case, as I believe this cooler sit's pretty high, out of the harm of rocks coming through the grill.

Give this thread some time today, and see if some of the others some of who are techs, see it.

This is the first oil leak in this area that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I refuse to buy an automatic after all the fits I've had with them. It's a manual. So, no cooler lines.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That could also be from your a/c compressor. I didn't have that much but mine went bad and I first though it was the water pump again but it was a/c compressor oil being dripped there when the engine was running. I was lucky I had a extended warranty. Make sure your a/c is still cooling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
0504150939.jpg 0504151000.jpg 0504151001a.jpg From left to right; the oil that was on the cross member; Oil pan has something on it; and a bad view of the surrounding area. Thanks for the tip, Cruze2011. I'll be out and about in a little bit and I'll check the AC. I also wiped up the area that had oil on it. It's possible that it is the AC compressor and I under-filled the Cruze last time I did the oil change. Like I said, I'm no master technician. I filled the car up with oil and I'll go out and about and check to see if the oil level drops.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
In the picture taken of front of the crank pulley, clean those two plugs that are at the 2 o'clock and 3'oclock positions. I believe those are access plugs to lock the crankshaft for changing the timing chain, head gasket, ect.

I'm not a professional mechanic either, but I've read a lot of the shop manual online at the library. Those plugs are sealed with O-rings, and this could something to clean up and watch.

If you still have the passenger wheel off? I assume that's how you got those pictures?.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AC still works. But, my AC kinda sucks. I'm comparing this to a '93 BMW 525i (lots of mods) and a 2002 VW Jetta vr6 (12v). It feels like the AC Compressor takes A LOT of power from the engine. If I'm on like 3 or 4 (out of 4) fan speed, there is almost no rev hang.

·
Registered
158 Posts
it could be that front crankshaft seal too which isnt the easiest to do and I believe would be covered under powertrain. Just a possibility, I know thos front plugs are known to leak though

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The leak looked like it was a lot at once. It wasn't very dispersed. I almost think it may be a spill or something that's just been there forever and I under-filled the oil last time I changed it. I'll have to take the crank pully off to see if it's leaking there or not. I may just monitor it closely until I change the clutch and I'll mess with it then unless it just starts gushing out oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts