Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oil analizers.png When I started with Amsoil in this car I expected more miles but it seems these motors produce a lot of acid. The limiting factor was the TBN which is the factor of how well the oil neutralizes the acid from the combustion process. The oil was still usable but getting low so I changed it. Notice the almost total lack of wear metal.
At $40.00 for oil (not counting filter) that comes to $.003/mi. The not having to change so often is a plus for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Amsoil has oils with different change intervals, was this the XL or Signature Series in your cruze that was sampled?

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Agreed, what kind of Amsoil?

Otherwise, looks like my reports at 7500-9000 miles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, didn't mention that and I guess it doesn't say on report. But yes, top of the line, ASL Sig Series 5W30.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Man that was a great run! I wouldn't say the car is hard on oil at all. You got almost 12k on an oil change and could have gone a least a few thousand further before total depletion of the TBN.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Amsoil is a very good product. But as your report shows, 15k would have been pushing it.

I'd call the amsoil rep for fun and ask him how come it didn't last 25k like advertised.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Same thing I'm running. Thanks for the report. I was planning to go 7k on this first change and maybe get it analyzed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As was mentioned before, the recomended mi. on turbo engine is only 15k instead of 25k. Yes, I did call Amsoil rep. He is who explained to me all about the TBN and neutralizing the acid. Like I said before, One thing that got me started yrs ago on Amsoil was changing oil only once a yr instead of 4 or 5 times. This will be more like twice a yr but that is still a time saving even if money savings isn't as good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As was mentioned before, the recomended mi. on turbo engine is only 15k instead of 25k. Yes, I did call Amsoil rep. He is who explained to me all about the TBN and neutralizing the acid. Like I said before, One thing that got me started yrs ago on Amsoil was changing oil only once a yr instead of 4 or 5 times. This will be more like twice a yr but that is still a time saving even if money savings isn't as good.

I'm looking to get this same oil for my car. One of my buddies is an Amsoil rep and can save me a little bit off oil. I figure I drive about 25k/yr. Do you feel I could get away with doing 2 oil changes a year and be on the safe side? My average driving is about 70% highway, but the traffic knocks that down to about 50% highway. I know there are many more factors that come into play, but I'm thinking I could safely go 12.5k between changes. I also plan on going with OEM oil filter, unless you advise otherwise.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking to get this same oil for my car. One of my buddies is an Amsoil rep and can save me a little bit off oil. I figure I drive about 25k/yr. Do you feel I could get away with doing 2 oil changes a year and be on the safe side? My average driving is about 70% highway, but the traffic knocks that down to about 50% highway. I know there are many more factors that come into play, but I'm thinking I could safely go 12.5k between changes. I also plan on going with OEM oil filter, unless you advise otherwise.
That's about the mileage I put on in a year also. So that's what I'm aiming for is twice a yr. BUT, When pushing the miles it sure doesn't hurt to do a couple of samples to make sure it's working out. I'm going to send another sample next time also but that will be a few months. I'll see again what it looks like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts