Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the more expensive parts to change when adding fogs, so my curiosity got the best of me what's missing besides that fog lamp silk screen on that center knob. Finger nail job to snap it apart, yes it still works after being snapped together.

First surprise was that the PC lands for the switches are gold plated, haven't seen that in a long time. We use to gold plate everything when an ounce of gold was fixed at 35 bucks. But all that changed with Nixon, if he was as smart as Roosevelt, would have doubled the price of gold to when every buck printed had to by law be backed with gold. But instead used the value of that piece of paper instead. Which we quickly learned, they can print a lot more paper to kill us with another hidden tax, inflation. And of course the price of gold skyrocketed.

Gee, I love to rant, LOL. But this gold plating is only about 2-3 microns thick and a nice touch since this switch only handles sub microamp currents to the BCM. Corrosion with any other materials is a major problem.

Those four like grids, swiped from dirt cheap TV remote technology are in parallel for the fog lamps. Can only assume this since I never played with a fog lamp switch, one touch would fire the BCM with a contact closure to switch them on, second touch would switch them off. Only thing that appears to be missing is a contact pad, metal particles in a piece of plastic with a rubber spring like backing. Wires are there for the fog lamps, so is the BCM, the relay, and the fuses.

Kicking around getting fog lamps, 35 bucks for a switch with that pad and installed, oh, and that silk screening. Couldn't do anything with my dealer, list is $235.00, would only go down 15 bucks. Ha, told him I am watching pawn stars, Fast n' Loud, etc. All I can go is a hundred, he is suppose to come back with a 150, but no go, still 220 bucks. Even telling him could by this kit off the internet with free shipping for 165 bucks, still wouldn't budge.

With my kid getting another kid, stopped by my Ford dealer looking at a Dodge Caravan, does Ford own Chrysler? Was parked right next to a Town and Country. Was offering $4,500 bucks less for that Grand Caravan, new for $20,400.00, No offer on the T&C, but with a sticker price of $38,000. Same body, same number of seats, same drive train, both had the same sized tires and alloy wheels, both with cruise, and dual AC, so where does this $18,000 price difference come in?

All I could see was in trinkets and what I define as a bunch of worthless loaded with problems Made in China electronic crap. Same with these fog lamps, want a small fortune of a couple of light bulbs and some plastic. View attachment 13227 View attachment 13228

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
...these fog lamps, want a small fortune of a couple of light bulbs and some plastic.
The world is an evil place these days...

...but they do make a $200 difference at night, especially on wet roads with poorly painted lines. I installed mine myself since the dealer wanted an even bigger small fortune to install them. Make sure you align them right; high enough to project down-road, but not high enough to blind on-coming traffic.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I knew I wanted the fog lights when I bought my cruze, I thought about installing myself or having the dealer do it. after debating for awhile decided it was only slightly more to just buy the RS package that comes with the fogs and everything is installed at the factory.

The fog lights are great for slow driving(below 40mph), they really only throw light 10ft in front and a few extra feet on the sides. When the roads are wet in the city at night sometimes your headlights can disappear, with the extra light the fogs throw down you can still see the road lit great.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Thanks for dissecting the switch!

Headlight harness will make the fogs redundant except in fog and snow. I took my harness out before getting my deer hit fixed. It made a large difference in how much light got onto the road, even after reaiming the damaged headlight. Without it, the fogs were necessary for side lighting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please answer these questions about this switch.

Do you press it once to switch on the fogs, then again to switch it off? In other words, is it just a normally open form A momentary switch?

With the fog lamps on, is there an indicator on the dash?

Owners manual seems to say yes to both these questions. If so, all I have to do is to drill a 1/4" hole in that blank knob and have a tiny micro switch with a red button on it I could snap and wire in. Won't have an icon, but who cares about that.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
The fog lights are great for slow driving(below 40mph), they really only throw light 10ft in front and a few extra feet on the sides. When the roads are wet in the city at night sometimes your headlights can disappear, with the extra light the fogs throw down you can still see the road lit great.
When I installed mine I found the default aiming to be too low. Aiming them up slightly improved their effectiveness and they now provide more useful light down the road as well as still offering good up-close lighting for those dark wet nights.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Do you press it once to switch on the fogs, then again to switch it off? In other words, is it just a normally open form A momentary switch?

With the fog lamps on, is there an indicator on the dash?
Yes and Yes. Dash indicator is a green foglight symbol that lights up on the lower half of the speedometer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts