Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,535 Posts
I posted a while back about my oil being overfilled even when i added 4.75 quarts. i ended up draining out a cup of oil just to be safe.
I helped a friend perform a oil change on his diesel Cruze some time ago…….don't like that drain plug one bit with the holes firing the oil sideways and what.

However, once it almost stopped dripping I took the plug completely out and probably drained an additional ten or more ounces out of the pan.
I speculate this too could end up making the engine slightly overfilled if using the 4.75 specification since the service manual does not call for full removal of the plug.

Just a thought,
Rob

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I helped a friend perform a oil change on his diesel Cruze some time ago…….don't like that drain plug one bit with the holes firing the oil sideways and what.

However, once it almost stopped dripping I took the plug completely out and probably drained an additional ten or more ounces out of the pan.
I speculate this too could end up making the engine slightly overfilled if using the 4.75 specification since the service manual does not call for full removal of the plug.

Just a thought,
Rob
This is why I'm looking at getting the Fumoto Valve for mine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think there is also another potential factor to a rising oil level in our Diesels, which would be fuel dilution due to cylinder wash during the re-gen process. Because our engines inject the fuel into the cylinder on the exhaust stroke rather than having an extra injector in the exhaust, there is the potential that unburned fuel can get into the crankcase oil. I remember reading about this when our Diesels were introduced, and people were expressing concern that the re-gen method could result in this. I also remember it being discussed in an oil analysis thread at some point. I wouldn't think this should be enough to cause a visible rise in oil level, though, unless there were an excessive number of re-gens during an oil change or something was out of order.
Very well put. That was the "making oil" I was refering to.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very well put. That was the "making oil" I was refering to.
This oil dilution was a problem in the Mazda 6 diesel in Australia/New Zealand. Mazda's solution to the problem was to change the gradations/length of the dipstick. I thought "how clever of them", why didn't I think of that? I guess Mazda now finally, just recently, gave up on the idea of bringing the car over here, due to emission certification issues.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Mazda claimed to have a 16:1 compression gas engine coming out in North America for 2015-2016. Obviously that didn't work either. The bonus was better efficiency and no spark plugs, could, wires

Sent from the sexy electrician

21 - 27 of 27 Posts