Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 15103

Why not ask the experts about this clip, like my local Chevy body shop. LOL, they also wrecked this clip trying to remove it having to charge the insurance company around 40 bucks to replace both clips. This was the best of the two, and the best shot I could take with my smart phone.

The clip on the left fits over that U-shaped metal loop under the seat. And goes clear to the bottom of that clip. Those two tabs inside of the clip fit very tightly together. Now if a piece of metal could be jammed in there thicker than the diameter of that loop, may be able to pry out the seat without breaking anything. But the length of that metal strip would have to be long enough to reach the bottom of those two tabs. And he problem with this, you can't lift the seat high enough to put that metal spreader tab in there. But with this clip removed from the bottom right clip, could spread those apart to remove it.

At the top of that left loop clip are two more tabs that clip into right clip. It may be possible to use something like an old blade from a feeler gauge and jam that between the loop clip and frame clip using a right angle pair of needle nose pliers. Or even making a tool like this with a handle on it. I am guessing those tabs with a sharp right angle stick out about 1/16" so hopefully they can be pried in to snap it out.

We both came to the conclusion, whoever designed this crazy clip wanted to make darn sure that rear seat could not be easily removed.

I did ask my dealer if I could have that old clip for measurements, he said sure for 20 bucks, he needs it for proof for the insurance company to get repayment.

If I were to buy new clips would file a bevel on those two tabs so would be possible to remove the rear seat without breaking anything.

Should we all rebel against GM to supply us with a better style clip? Never ever had this kind of problem before. Dealer asked me why I wanted to remove the rear seat bottom. Just to clean up some crumbs my grandkids left.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Nick for the picture and opinions. I asked a few weeks ago agout removing the seat as i was trying to install some seat covers. Shelved the idea since I could not lift the dam seat.

Next day off, I will try a long, thin screw driver and see if I can poke the stupid thing around and loosen at least one of the tabs.

At least I have a mental image now.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This line drawing is making more sense now as two pieces are shown for that clip assembly.

View attachment 15112

Anxious to try something, but just had major surgery, so better take it easy. Would be nice to hear what other dealers have to say on this subject. My dealer told me his employee trying to remove this seat was using dirty words. He told me about other such clips that are one time only.

This reminds me of a Franklin 165 HP aircraft engine, cylinder and head was a one piece casting where the piston with rings on it were inserted from the bottom. If you pushed that piston up a tad too far, that top ring would expand and you would never be able to get it out again. Wanted to make darn sure you had at least four cups of coffee and the phone was off the hook before attaching that assembly to the crankcase and having the connecting rod firmly attached. And doing that six times in a roll without screwing up.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I never have rear seat passengers(too bad GM doesn't offer a two door model cruze), I have the rear seat bottom removed 90% of the time. Nice with the rear seats folded down they are actually flat with it removed.

I did break one clip but will have to come up with something new when I want/need the rear seat, no way I am paying $20 for a piece of plastic I am gonna break again.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it at gmpartsdirect.com. But unable to determine shipping cost without making a commitment.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, where is "Jackie, Chevrolet Customer Care" on this subject?

Don't know about you, with me, can handle large complicated jobs with ease, it's this simple shouldn't be a problem stuff that drives me nuts.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Ha, where is "Jackie, Chevrolet Customer Care" on this subject? Don't know about you, with me, can handle large complicated jobs with ease, it's this simple shouldn't be a problem stuff that drives me nuts.
I'm here. How can I assist you with this issue??

"Jackie, Chevrolet Customer Care" :)

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
"I will see what I can do! Going to go research...Jackie Chevrolet Customer Care"

It can`t be that easy here, ................ can it ?????

I dig this place.
Sometimes things are easy. Jackie may or may not be able to get the answer, but there has got to be an easy way to remove the back seat without breaking the clips.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sometimes things are easy. Jackie may or may not be able to get the answer, but there has got to be an easy way to remove the back seat without breaking the clips.
If she does, will pass this information to my dealer's body shop manager. So he no longer has to explain to the insurance companies why he has to charge 40 bucks extra for a couple of plastic clips.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I do not know if this will be helpful at all but this is what I was able to find. I hope that it is helpful in some way.

"Pull up on the front of the seat cushion to disengage the retainers and lift out of the vehicle."

Line art Drawing Furniture Machine

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
lol, not really helpful.... that's exactly how i broke my clip. Honestly I think they are designed to hold only, not to be removed. You remove you run the risk of breaking it.

stupid design, no reason to have a clip like that on the lower seat.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing wrong with the clips on my old 2004 Cavalier, seat bottom never flew up, same kind of loop under the seat, but a single plastic clip in the frame. One little pull, would snap right out, nothing broke. Using this double plastic clip is far more expensive and really doesn't serve any other purpose than to irritate the consumer.

How is this for a design? Use a 3/4" OD hardened steel shaft with a grove cut into it with a tapered like piston ring in that groove. A 3/4" OD receptacle type tube welded into the frame, so when you push that seat down would never get it out again without destroying the entire seat and frame.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I removed my rear seat last year to install some seat covers. Pull straight up as hard as you can on the front corner of the reat seat. The peg will pop out of the plastic clip. I did this by putting the front seat forward as far as possible and standing facing back. It helps to be small . :)
To reinstall, sit on it. Was not easy but was straightforward.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I removed my rear seat last year to install some seat covers. Pull straight up as hard as you can on the front corner of the reat seat. The peg will pop out of the plastic clip. I did this by putting the front seat forward as far as possible and standing facing back. It helps to be small . :)
To reinstall, sit on it. Was not easy but was straightforward.
LadyInBlue? Are you a small woman? Ha, wife is also a woman and small, maybe I should leave this chore up to her.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, I'm small ;) and strong. I hauled up on that sucker til it popped out. Wasn't gonna let some stupid car get the better of me;) but I had looked at the instructions and diagram so knew there was no trick to it.
Been working on my cars (or my Dad's) since I was a teenager and even got an 18 year old Celica through MD inspection- that took a few weeks.
I like cars but do a lot less work on them now than I used to. At least I know enought to know when a mechanic is lying to me.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah so, the woman's touch. See some point in your method by pulling the seat at the corner, where us no so smart men would tend to pull the seat up right by the clip.

This would put an angle pressure on the far side of that clip so that could give. Where at the clip, those tabs have full force over the entire edge getting a far better grip.

Ha, still waiting for Jackie to come back. Since I was raised and taught by women, I have learned to listen to them. Well most of the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts