Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general question...Why is it many headlights these days are nearly blinding?

About 3-4 of every ten cars at night approaching from behind have headlights so bright in my rear and side view mirrors it severely inhibits my forward vision.

Oddly, in my very UN-scientfic sampling, I find 80-90% of those cars are Hondas. Does Honda run a different light configuration that other manufacturers? Maybe some of you who own Hondas can shed some light?

I would say some of the newer semi tractors are running pretty bright headlights too. I understand the need for good night vision on rural roads but on busy interstates it’s pretty hazardous.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Ever since IIHS started testing headlight performance, this seems to have become an issue - a lot of lights out there, in an attempt to have good visibility for the driver, end up having hellacious glare to oncoming traffic.

That said - the Chrysler 300 with projectors have been blinding drivers since before the IIHS tests came to be a thing.

For the most part, I don't notice it with Hondas - they usually do well in the tests without having glare.

Meanwhile, my mom's last Fusion had LED headlights that both had terrible performance (just as bad as the halogen lights they also offer) for the driver as well as excessive glare. The worst of both worlds! Driving her to the airport, at night in the rain, was absolutely terrifying - I legitimately could not see a thing.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I don't see annoying headlights from the manufactures.

I only see annoying headlights from the aftermarkets.

Some of you apparently have a night vision problem and think your headlights suck so you buy that aftermarket crap. Instead of fixing your eyes.

I don't know what you all did in the beginning.

My cruze has the best lights I've ever owned. I don't need anything annoying.
My semi. Has the older lights. And I have no problems seeing with those and those things are pretty dim.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
youre older, your eyes are more sensitive to glare
lights are brighter than before, stock and aftermarket

nothing gets enforced, put your chinesium leds or hids in your halogen projector housings and blind errybody

the higher the k the better!!!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't see annoying headlights from the manufactures.

I only see annoying headlights from the aftermarkets.

Some of you apparently have a night vision problem and think your headlights suck so you buy that aftermarket crap. Instead of fixing your eyes.

I don't know what you all did in the beginning.

My cruze has the best lights I've ever owned. I don't need anything annoying.
My semi. Has the older lights. And I have no problems seeing with those and those things are pretty dim.
ford truck lights are glare city, especially the leds....they perform horribly in testing.

then errybody turns their fogs on as well

then they put the levelling kit in and then put 80# of cargo in the bed and the truck squats down and sends the glare high

·
Administrator
25,159 Posts
I've had people flash me about my headlights in my Volt, but not in my wife's Honda Clarity. I think the real problem is more and more headlights are going into the "blue" spectrum in an attempt to give the driver a "whiter" view of the road. The problem is natural light has a lot less "blue" in it because it's scattered out by the atmosphere. Thus our eyes have a hard time recovering after intense blue light.

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I've had people flash me about my headlights in my Volt, but not in my wife's Honda Clarity. I think the real problem is more and more headlights are going into the "blue" spectrum in an attempt to give the driver a "whiter" view of the road. The problem is natural light has a lot less "blue" in it because it's scattered out by the atmosphere. Thus our eyes have a hard time recovering after intense blue light.
I've never had that happen in mine - nor should they be an issue, due to how low the car is, and how well they're aimed. I hope you gave them a flash back of the actual brights - those halogen highs are bright as hell. But the low beams are so good, I never need them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Many of these newer vehicles have way to bright regular beam lights and/or the aim or cutoff is to high. I drive mostly 2 lane rural highway at night this time of year, and it is hard to meet some vehicles without looking away.

These new super bright blue lights are harsh when oncoming and make it much less safe for everyone IMO. They used to be mostly after market, but a large number are now OEM.

I don't have a problem with people using fog lights, they don't seem to bright to me usually and they really help light the ditches, which is required in my area to see animals.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The headlights lights on my Regal are fabulous. They are the dot matrix LED lights. They auto aim themselves based on sensors connected to the control arms. It's a shame the US can't use the full capabilities. Nonetheless, these lights are terrific and I haven't been flashed at all.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,639 Posts
I freaking hate these stupid LED headlights in everything. If a car is coming at you at ANYTHING other than dead-on (unlikely in my area, it's pretty hilly) you are freaking blinded by the light, literally. They are able to focus the light at a 0* angle, but apparently not any sort of deviation away from that.

Toyota seems to aim/design all of theirs worse than any other mfr because I am constantly blinded by Toyota and Lexus products and want to stab their drivers eyes out too with my high beams. The new Wranglers are bad too. Also Acuras, but somehow not regular Hondas like the Accord.

If anyone has nailed the LED lights not blinding other drivers, it's (surprise) Volvo.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If a car is coming at you at ANYTHING other than dead-on (unlikely in my area, it's pretty hilly) you are freaking blinded by the light, literally.
Channeling some Manfred Mann this morning, eh? :)

Toyota seems to aim/design all of theirs worse than any other mfr because I am constantly blinded by Toyota and Lexus products and want to stab their drivers eyes out too with my high beams.
Seems I've cursed lots of Lexi, too .

I anticipate, at some point, enough complaints will be made for law enforcement to get involved. That might include adding regulations. One challenge would be how the police are to judge the brightness and aim without carrying a mobile optics lab in the trunk. OTOH, back in the day, they could estimate speed without the need for a radar gun - it was their word against yours. So maybe that would suffice - not sure. But I do think we have a problem with overly bright and ill-aimed headlights, and it's getting worse.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
I freaking hate these stupid LED headlights in everything. If a car is coming at you at ANYTHING other than dead-on (unlikely in my area, it's pretty hilly) you are freaking blinded by the light, literally. They are able to focus the light at a 0* angle, but apparently not any sort of deviation away from that.

Toyota seems to aim/design all of theirs worse than any other mfr because I am constantly blinded by Toyota and Lexus products and want to stab their drivers eyes out too with my high beams. The new Wranglers are bad too. Also Acuras, but somehow not regular Hondas like the Accord.

If anyone has nailed the LED lights not blinding other drivers, it's (surprise) Volvo.
That's probably because most vehicles you are encountering are crossovers, trucks or SUVs. I doubt my Volt would blind you in your Cruze, given I am probably lower. But they're also aimed well.

The amount of **** I get blinded by in any of our vehicles (because every one basically is low - the Cobalt and Camaro moreso) these days is generally because the other vehicle is much higher.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I believe it's more aim than anything for the most part except coming over a hill. Headlights are meant to point down to the road (on low beam) so if a car is cresting a hill you're underneath it. Nothing can be done about that situation unfortunately. For regular driving though if you're getting lots of glare then either their headlights are improperly aimed (can even be off from the factory - IIHS has seen this testing new cars) or the owner did an HID.LED retrofit either in headlights that don't work with them or then used cheam Amazon/Chineseum LED bulbs that don't do **** and make things worse. Headlight Revolution has done LOTS of LED testing and the results from the cheap LED bulbs are insane.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,639 Posts
That's probably because most vehicles you are encountering are crossovers, trucks or SUVs. I doubt my Volt would blind you in your Cruze, given I am probably lower. But they're also aimed well.

The amount of **** I get blinded by in any of our vehicles (because every one basically is low - the Cobalt and Camaro moreso) these days is generally because the other vehicle is much higher.
Corollas and Camrys are on my level, as is a TLX. They are some of the worst offenders. Also the RAV4 and RX350

·
Premium Member
4,073 Posts
Yeah, well those could just be aimed piss-poor.

By the way, IIHS is mandating "Good" or "Acceptable" headlights as standard to get TSP and TSP+ for 2020, so most of those will be LED (even though many times a well-executed HID system can match or beat them, but with added complexity)...get used to them...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts