Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 CTD, build date of 8/14. So I had a dead battery one morning about a month or so ago and the dealer put the battery on a GM approved machine to charge and test the battery...about a hour and a half later the dealer tells me the battery is bad...so they replace the battery under warranty and all is good again. So, I go on vacation, and my car sits in my driveway for 8 days and I come home to a dead battery. I put a battery charger on the battery over night and now the car starts up just like it always has...anyways...what's the deal with the battery going dead...has GM figured out what the problem is and fixed this issue? It's pretty clear that something is draining the battery with this car. I know I've read about the neg battery cable or something being replaced but is there a TBS that the dealer has on this issue ? I can't figure out why the dealer didn't check with GM before they replaced the battery the first time.

·
2,170 Posts
If the battery keeps dying, its time to start looking for a short, or looking at the alternator.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is completely stock as it came from the factory....DIC says it's charging the battery and the car is fine everyday....it's just when it sits something is draining the battery. I'm sure my car is not the only one....GM has got to know about this issue....I remember reading something about the neg battery cable. Sure would like to hear from others that have had the battery draining down when the car sits for more than a few days

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would take it to the best dealer you can find and document everything. Sometimes you can never find electrical gremlins no matter what make or model of the car. I think usually the first place to start is look at the electrical schematics for the car and ensure continuity on all the grounds. But who knows GM may have a new procedure. I have seen Toyotas have ghost electrical gremlins do the same thing and toyota has given up and bought the car back. It was on a camry (2004 I think) a friend of mine had and he was still under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty. His didn't have to sit 8 days and he was going through batteries like underwear and toyota couldn't find the problem. So since your car is so new and still under the bumper to bumper I would take it to GM and open a case and document everything. If it keeps happening and they can't find the problem they should buy the car back.

Electrical problems suck on any car and can be really hard if not impossible to fix. It happens.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
A parasitic draw test needs to be run on the car in its locked, powered down state.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Sure would like to hear from others that have had the battery draining down when the car sits for more than a few days
A few have reported that in the forum. I think I'm observing a pattern that it tends to happen if the car sits unlocked. Was yours locked or unlocked?

Another user with a diesel reported that his DIC voltages had a wide range until he rebuilt his battery and charging cables. Then everything settled down. So there might be a cable issue that prevents the battery from getting charged properly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car was locked when it sat for 8 days.....battery was drained enough that even the door locks wouldn't open....had to use the key in the door. The electrical system goes crazy when the battery is drained...engine fan kicks on and dash lights go crazy when you turn on the key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The bottom line is they have no idea why the battery goes dead. My 2014 ctd just came home from 28 days at the dealer and they and chevrolet could not find anything wrong. My case has gone from customer assistance to GM executive office and now to the legal office. All I want is to get my car fixed!

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
The bottom line is they have no idea why the battery goes dead. My 2014 ctd just came home from 28 days at the dealer and they and chevrolet could not find anything wrong. My case has gone from customer assistance to GM executive office and now to the legal office. All I want is to get my car fixed!
In your bio you state the following:

Biography:Shop foreman at a Chevy dealership for 13 years. 10 years as diesel truck mechanic.

Given your experience what do you think it is?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had no end of electrical issues my 2014. Ac not blowing cold, the ac fan not blowing at all, a electrical noise through the BT for the person on the other side of a phone call, DIC saying to calibrate the Windows. All that seems to have been fix when then replaced the fuse box and the whole wiring harness.

Now it sat for 7 days...and the battery is dead. Jumped it and it was charging at 12.8...then through out the day eventually got up to 14 bolts.

Of course now it at 37k and out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My problem occurs only when the outside temperature goes below freezing. I think that the problem is in the DEF heater system but I have been unable to prove it. The def tank has a temperature sensor in it which is monitored by the ECM. At some unknown temperature the ECM tells the glow plug module to turn on the heaters. The heaters are only SUPPOSED to be on when the engine is running. I have been retired for over 10 years and out of the loop on most of this stuff. If anyone else has any ideas on what might turn on and drain a battery when the engine is off and below freezing, I would like to hear them. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My problem occurs only when the outside temperature goes below freezing. I think that the problem is in the DEF heater system but I have been unable to prove it. The def tank has a temperature sensor in it which is monitored by the ECM. At some unknown temperature the ECM tells the glow plug module to turn on the heaters. The heaters are only SUPPOSED to be on when the engine is running.
Interesting theory. A quick Google says DEF freezes at around 12F. As long as there's room for it to expand, allowing it to freeze doesn't seem to create a big problem. However, I would suspect that the car is likely to start heating it if it's "disturbed" in anyway - perhaps thinking you're are about to climb in and go somewhere. IIRC, on the gassers, things like the fuel pump will start when you open the door so it's ready to go when you turn the key.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Interesting theory. A quick Google says DEF freezes at around 12F. As long as there's room for it to expand, allowing it to freeze doesn't seem to create a big problem. However, I would suspect that the car is likely to start heating it if it's "disturbed" in anyway - perhaps thinking you're are about to climb in and go somewhere. IIRC, on the gassers, things like the fuel pump will start when you open the door so it's ready to go when you turn the key.
Not sure about that on the gassers. Only ever heard my fuel pump when the key was "on". However, isn't it true on the diesels that the glow plugs start up when the drivers door is opened? Could it be the same case with the DEF heater?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Not sure about that on the gassers. Only ever heard my fuel pump when the key was "on". However, isn't it true on the diesels that the glow plugs start up when the drivers door is opened? Could it be the same case with the DEF heater?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I have a 2012 diesel and in my 4th winter and have never seen the glow plug light on except in the start up check. 8 months ago I was away for 22 days and when I got back the car started right away. We also have a Hyundai petrol car and it started right away as well. Even at 1C the car starts easily without using the glow plugs. Is it possible that a light in the glove box or trunk are not switching off?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Is it possible that a light in the glove box or trunk are not switching off?
Glove box light? Wuz that? (it disappeared before 2013.) But I think both would be on the "10 minute" bus that shuts down 10 minutes after the last "action".

Question: Does this car have keyless entry? (Don't have to press a button on the remote to enter.) I think there's a option to have the car unlock just by walking into range. No need to press the button on the door handle. That's going to chew up some power over a long period of time.

The other idea is a button that has become flaky and keeps the car "awake". A bad trunk button could do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My battery drained after the car sat in my driveway for a week in 80 degree weather....I've stopped by my dealer and complained about the problem. The dealer set me up a appointment and is giving me a loaner car...pretty happy about that...but not feeling too confident about the dealer finding the problem after reading about this issue on here. I really like this car and really want to keep buying a American car...hopefully another diesel...no doubt that GM knows this problem exists with the diesel model. I just hope GM supports the Cruze diesel and has a fix for this battery drain issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another odd thing about this. The battery only discharges down to 10 volts. It has never gone completely dead, even after sitting for 3 weeks after the "event".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know how low the volts were when my battery drained, but it was so low that the door locks wouldn't open with the remote. Charged the battery for a day and the car starts and drives just fine for now.
I'll bet this battery drain issue with the diesel model affects a lot more cars than people believe but they don't know it because the car is driven everyday. I think this issue is the cause of all the batteries that have failed early with the diesel model. I've never had a car or motorcycle that had a battery fail within 2 years.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I'll bet this battery drain issue with the diesel model affects a lot more cars than people believe but they don't know it because the car is driven everyday. I think this issue is the cause of all the batteries that have failed early with the diesel model. I've never had a car or motorcycle that had a battery fail within 2 years.
That's a good point. Mine has never sat longer than 4-5 days, but my battery did go bad last winter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.