Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Another DEF Story

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  Rebooter 
#1 ·
So I started trouybleshooting a P249D error that grew into a DEF Quality countdown.
So I replaced O2 2 and NOX2 2 and was moving on when I said well next must be injector or pump when looking at readout from Torque.
Speedometer Light Plant Gauge Measuring instrument

I have 2 2014 Cruze Diesels so I decide to swap pump between the cars
Took off the covers and found this glimpse of DEP hell !!!!!
Any one had same sight?
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It doesn't appear to be from any of the hoses but the small return line on the left might be suspect.

1) pump housing failure. Doubt the screws holding it are loose.
2) pump oring failure where it attaches to the tank.
3) big hold down nut loose.

No certain order.

OG pump or was it replaced?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Gas Rim

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply
So after cleaning and replace no leak after30 min running in driveway.
I hear the pump coming on and building pressure then stops. After 5-10 it runs again for 15 or 20 seconds and shuts off again.
Trying to make sense of the readings cleared P249D Error a few times and coming back after nox2 replace.
EGT bank 250-320 idling 1-2-3 similar EGT4 -40 ?? NOx Pst and Pre seem to hover -100?
I guess next step can be to swap pump between cars and see if problem follows the pump.

#4 · (Edited)
Surprised it isn't leaking. It will probably come back. That was a lot of crystalized def.
Clear the code then do a def quality test.
You might want to verify the def nozzle is spraying.

If you have Gretio you can rest the nox sensors.

3 egt's.
#4 might be egr temp.

Reactions: 502scs
#5 ·
NOx sensors will show a negative reading, usually, until they are hot enough to calibrate and read properly. They electrically heat themselves up a bit at first but the whole system needs to reach a certain temp before they heat up fully. I know on Cummins engines they wake up around 450-500F EGT, the negative number changes for about a minute then it reads the true NOx ppm. Driving it will cause it to reach that system temp pretty quickly and they will calibrate. Sitting idle in a driveway from when the system was cold will take quite some time, if it reaches it at all on our engines.

EGT4.... it could be the PM sensor, maybe? Torque doesn't quite have the right PIDs for this engine so using the defaults can be wonky. I also recommend gretio if you want to do your own work on this car.

#7 ·
Best way would be remove it from the pipe and do a reductant quantity test with the app, it will force it to spray without the engine running. You are supposed to use a graduated container to see how much comes out in a certain amount of time but I don't know what the quantity is supposed to be. You could also use the app to put it into a service regeneration and then watch the NOx numbers. If 2 is lower than 1 then it is spraying.

I'd personally start by removing it and testing. Hopefully no bolts break on you.

#8 · (Edited)
Car has been in central Florida whole life so no rust even exhaust is still clean so hopeful.
I will get car back on stands after work and try those tests.
Weird how this failed after driving 8 hours without shutting it off towing my motorcycle on trailer from NC with the cruise on 78mph .. Seems like regen heaven :)
Thank you again and I will update when done.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

#9 ·
Gretio might have a def pump on command. Not 100% sure.

IMHO, I'd clear the codes and do the reductant test.
The p249d low flow was most likely from the mystery leak.

My concern is any residual def in the injector might be crystalized and not allowing it to spray.

#12 ·
Thank you! I will try that and update after work...
So on your tag line .... when does that come to mind Cool hand Luke or GnR quote ?
Lol. Movie first then gnr.

#13 · (Edited)
Ok had crazy couple of weeks at work.
After the tests that you guys recommended it looked like the spray was sparse.
So I replaced the pump and injector both also new Blue Def platinum.
Any way to force a quality test and see results like PPM using torque Gretio etc. ?
No codes at all now but still doing countdown is still going on after 25 miles again today.
I am at 22 miles and 13 miles from my chevy dealer so unless I can fix it sitting still in the driveway I am forced to the dealer...
I am out of ideas ...

#14 · (Edited)
Scroll down to #13

Clear as many codes as you can. Sometimes active codes can cause it to not complete or start.

#15 · (Edited)
No codes since the Nox sensor replacement. Have started it about 10 time since then and driving 50 miles or so at 65 and now 55 limit ...
I forced a regen today which appeared to actively run and complete during my test drive.
No stored or active codes only the poor DEF quality and countdown.

I really love both of my Cruze Diesels however when you realize that there is NO way to recover from something as silly as an emissions issue to the point of being stranded or throw 1000s to dealer with a perfectly fine running car it make me furious ... I need a shady diesel mechanic and a sawsall I think ;)

#21 ·
U might want to make sure the def pump isn't leaking.

U might also try resetting the nox sensor with Gretio. Total guess here.

I'm surprised the def quality test isn't removing the count down. Is saying it is passing the test?

#31 ·
Yes, I have a P20A2 Reductant Purge Control Valve Circuit Low, I've replaced the DEF heater. THis came after we had -37F for a few days. My Apple phone Gretio has only worked once, it shuts down when trying to connect to MX+ BT adapter. Tried my Samsung tablet and it won't register chit with the BT adapter. Bout to part out this puppy with 105k miles.