Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short, I was driving down the interstate and some metal object flew up and impaled my rear tire, blowing it out, AND it took a good chunk out of my rim. Of course, Eco's don't have my spare so luckily I have free roadside assistance and was towed to the nearest tire shop and they put a brand new tire on my rim. Problem is, where the object took a chunk out of the edge of my rim it left jagged, rough edges that the tire shop was saying has a good chance of re-puncturing down the road. At first they didn't even want to put the tire back on but I had to be back home that night, so they did.

This past Thursday I went to my nearest GM dealership and ordered a brand new Eco wheel for $380 PLUS TAX:angry: It finally comes in today, and since I was already at a GM dealership I just had them swap the tire over and balance it etc, etc. So, I go to leave and noticed my old damaged wheel isn't anywhere to be found. I go back in the dealership and asked them they can give me my old wheel back, and they said they're "not supposed to" and that i'd have to speak to the parts manager. So the guy the led me to the parts manager and I asked him where my wheel is, and he claims GM asks for the damaged wheel to be sent back to GM. And in order for me to get the wheel back it would cost me $50. At this point, I was pretty upset because I paid 400 freakin' dollars for a wheel, and don't even get my old one back. Then I said "So, you're telling me If I just would've picked up that new wheel threw it in my backseat and took it to the Firestone on-base, who would mount and balance it for FREE, I would get my old wheel back...??" and he just kinda shrugged his shoulders and said " I guess, yes".

I didn't notice this at the time but I went home and cleaned the "new" wheel off and noticed it has scratches in it, and a mark that looks like its been curbed before! So I can guarantee this isn't a NEW wheel!!

Also, they did a 27-point inspection (which I was never informed of before) and i didn't reset my oil life percentage last time I changed my oil (ohh noooo). So, they changed my oil for free. The only problem is I have with this is I ONLY use full-synthetic oil and I know the crap they use probably isn't full-synthetic. Given, I am 250 miles overdue on an oil change I wasn't to upset about that, but I would be LIVID in they dumped brand new full-synthetic oil.

I tried to go back and ask more questions and show them my not-so-new wheel, but they were closed. So tomorrow I will venture back to GM land.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, I bought my Cruze in Tennessee, And now i'm stationed in Ohio

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
How interesting, I bought two Civics(‘83 & '97) and put accessory alloys on each. The dealership put the stock steelies in each car at delivery. I was told I could either take them or they'd put them in the trash as they were "technically" used and they could not put them on another car. The "curb" mark on your replacement wheel might be from the hamfisted backyard hammer mechanic that did the mounting & balancing. It could be from the bead bar being roughly used. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I agree with spacedout here.....and they are keeping your wheel to sell as scrap.
Screw the service dept., find the Dealer Principle and state your case......since you paid over the counter for the wheel, the old one is your property....period.

G.M. HAS NO INTEREST IN YOUR REMOVED WHEEL....they are not a scrapyard.

Give em ****, Troop!

Rob

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Yes, GM has no interest in having your old wheel back and Alcoa certainly doesn't. If this were a warranty situation, that would be a completely different story, and even then, they still probably wouldn't have to send it back to GM. To do so, it would mean GM (or Alcoa, in this case) would have to pay to have the wheel UPS'd back to Alcoa's warehouse at their expense. They definitely won't want to do that unless they have a reason to test it or something, because not only do they have to pay for it, but they have to pay to inventory/warehouse it and provide future disposition (scrapping, etc.).

I'd say this is definitely your dealer there trying to pull a fast one. They better be ready to provide full GM documentation showing they are shipping it back if they are going to say that.

How interesting, I bought two Civics(‘83 & '97) and put accessory alloys on each. The dealership put the stock steelies in each car at delivery. I was told I could either take them or they'd put them in the trash as they were "technically" used and they could not put them on another car. The "curb" mark on your replacement wheel might be from the hamfisted backyard hammer mechanic that did the mounting & balancing. It could be from the bead bar being roughly used. Good luck.
Bro, that signature is WAY too in my face. No need to stick it in everyone's face that you have a Civic in lieu of a Cruze. Please reduce the font to the normal size so I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Well............I must apologize to the OP and all readers.

Called my G.M. contact this morning regarding the core charge for a new wheel question and...........Dangit...they do charge $50.00 core...even for a new rim......and, they do get them back.

So, I was wrong (or mistaken)........I was told this is not new either....

I hope the OP sees this before he raises cain with his dealer.

Sorry,
Rob

·
Registered
381 Posts
But the question is did they give him a 50 dollar core rebate on it? I bet they didn't, plus they charged him full retail which you can buy online for $238. I'm curious what dealership this is since I also live in Dayton and had a bad experience at one particular large dealer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Funny, I know people that work at a GM warehouse and they have crushed many wheels returned by the dealers.

The dealer should have done a better job explaining that the wheel had a core charge.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Yeah, if anything this is a lesson that strengthens on line buying.

Starks8 was wondering about buying a second set of factory rims at the dealer level and now, knowing this, I guess a online purchass, with the savings and no core charge involved would more than offset any shipping expense.

I'm guessing that the dealer price quote assumes a rim is returned, not unlike buying a new battery. The core charge is only applied if there is nothing returned.

Another lesson learned, aye?

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Would think collision coverage would have covered this. Normal business practice is to be given an estimate for any repairs you have to sign before the work is even started. If they do things on their own, not even liable for that.

Had a windshield broken from a truck, caught the name of it, let my insurance company fight that out with them, that is what I pay them for. Just had to sign a release after I inspected my vehicle when I was positive the work was satisfactory done.

Granted, you practically have to be an attorney today to deal with this kind of stuff, nothing gained by ranting on a board, but hope I gave you and others good advice.

Can only assume this was from a truck that didn't have that stuff securely fastened down.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
You may want to reconsider renaming the thread to "Horrible Dealer Experience" since your problems are with the Dealer and not the GM corporation.

The dealer is the one that gave you a damaged rim during the repair. Whether it came in that was or it was damaged during install, ultimately it is your responsibility to check all repairs before you take delivery. The majority of the dealers are out to screw everyone as much as possible with their service practices. I would take the car back and tell them to replace the rim.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Long story short, I was driving down the interstate and some metal object flew up and impaled my rear tire, blowing it out, AND it took a good chunk out of my rim. Of course, Eco's don't have my spare so luckily I have free roadside assistance and was towed to the nearest tire shop and they put a brand new tire on my rim. Problem is, where the object took a chunk out of the edge of my rim it left jagged, rough edges that the tire shop was saying has a good chance of re-puncturing down the road. At first they didn't even want to put the tire back on but I had to be back home that night, so they did.

This past Thursday I went to my nearest GM dealership and ordered a brand new Eco wheel for $380 PLUS TAX:angry: It finally comes in today, and since I was already at a GM dealership I just had them swap the tire over and balance it etc, etc. So, I go to leave and noticed my old damaged wheel isn't anywhere to be found. I go back in the dealership and asked them they can give me my old wheel back, and they said they're "not supposed to" and that i'd have to speak to the parts manager. So the guy the led me to the parts manager and I asked him where my wheel is, and he claims GM asks for the damaged wheel to be sent back to GM. And in order for me to get the wheel back it would cost me $50. At this point, I was pretty upset because I paid 400 freakin' dollars for a wheel, and don't even get my old one back. Then I said "So, you're telling me If I just would've picked up that new wheel threw it in my backseat and took it to the Firestone on-base, who would mount and balance it for FREE, I would get my old wheel back...??" and he just kinda shrugged his shoulders and said " I guess, yes".

I didn't notice this at the time but I went home and cleaned the "new" wheel off and noticed it has scratches in it, and a mark that looks like its been curbed before! So I can guarantee this isn't a NEW wheel!!

Also, they did a 27-point inspection (which I was never informed of before) and i didn't reset my oil life percentage last time I changed my oil (ohh noooo). So, they changed my oil for free. The only problem is I have with this is I ONLY use full-synthetic oil and I know the crap they use probably isn't full-synthetic. Given, I am 250 miles overdue on an oil change I wasn't to upset about that, but I would be LIVID in they dumped brand new full-synthetic oil.

I tried to go back and ask more questions and show them my not-so-new wheel, but they were closed. So tomorrow I will venture back to GM land.

We're sorry to hear that you had this experience with the dealership, SBK15. If you would like for us to follow up on anything, please don't hesitate to contact us via private message on the forum (include the last 8 digits of your VIN, name and contact information, and the name of the involved dealership).

Sarah
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems every GM dealership I've been to doesn't have the greatest customer-oriented service all they care about is making an extra dollar any way they can. I think this is very unfortunate as I am a huge GM fan over Ford, Chrysler, Honda, etc etc.. But I've learned to try to avoid dealerships as much possible. As much as I despise Fords, my Father bought his first Ford, a mustang, 2 years ago and he has never had trouble out of the dealers the many times it has been back for warranty work. Just seems every GM dealership has no respect. But maybe I've just only dealt with "bad ones"

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Bro, that signature is WAY too in my face. No need to stick it in everyone's face that you have a Civic in lieu of a Cruze. Please reduce the font to the normal size so I don't have to.
Done, just for you, but realize the previous font WAS normal sized (5), but I took the bolding off just to keep peace. For what it's worth, I spent two full years looking to buy a Cruze and in the end just couldn't justify it. If you want the full details, I'll be happy to PM you with my reasons. I'm still here because I still feel I have something positive to contribute.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Robby is correct on all GM wheels having a core charge. The service advisor should have told him that up front. Not sure why you would want a damaged wheel, but it's all good if that's what you wanted, just have to pay for it. Doesn't matter if you are buying it in service or at the retail counter. If you don't give a core back you have to pay the charge.

As far as the Civic wheel story, if that happened in the last 2 years then that dealer had to eat the core charge for not sending the wheels back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts