Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Answers for fog light reprogramming for 2013's

8K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Blasirl 
#1 · (Edited)
So there has been a lot of discussion about the fog lights needing to be reprogrammed and recently a thread about no reprogramming being needed. A family member who has access to GM's tech site was able to research and find out why when another member and myself who both have 13 ECO's got different results with adding fog lights and needing to reprogram. Of course the other member did not have to reprogram were mine is needing it. He stated it was added June 5th and states that Cruzes made prior to March 25th 2013 will require a software update or "reprogramming" it then states any Cruze made after March 25th does not need the "calibration file from SPS"hopefully this helps others in trying to get fogs working but I'm sure the dealerships will still charge for this.

sorry for the tittle saying "lit" instead of light, I can thank auto spell for it and can not find a way to edit the tittle.

#2 ·
APCruze, can you get the start date as well for when the programming needs to be done? 2011s and early 2012s didn't need any reprogramming. That was added sometime during the 2012 model year (probably when they took away the digital temperature display).

#3 ·
In all the paperwork I was given it only has a start date that no longer needs reprogramming. (March 25 2013) I would guess it probably started with the end of the 12's and start of the 13's, but not sure. I'm sure there is enough of us on here that could probably post their year model and build date (drivers door tag) and we could narrow it down.

For others post the following,

Vehicle year
Build date
was a reprogram needed?

I will see if I can get an actual date but probably not since its not on this paperwork he gave me.

#4 ·
"June 5, 2013
When installing GM Accessory fog lamps on the 2013 Cruze, a call to the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) is no longer required to update the Body Control Module (BCM) software.

On some 2013 models, the production BCM may not automatically enable the fog lamp function after installation. In this case, an updated calibration is needed.

Vehicles Built before March 25

When adding the fog light accessory to vehicles built prior to March 25, 2013, the BCM needs to be updated with the latest calibration file available in SPS.

Vehicles Built after March 25

For vehicles built after March 25, 2013, BCM reprogramming should not be necessary. The BCM should automatically enable the fog lamp function."

Reactions: Merc6
#5 ·
That is what my paperwork states, sorry I didn't post the exact verbage as I only had a printed copy and did not feel like typing that much. I hope you were able to copy and paste, and thank you for adding the service advisory.

#6 ·
View attachment 14919 View attachment 14920 View attachment 14921 View attachment 14922

With my old head lamp switch by snapping it apart, could see those grids that would be shorted out by pushing that center button, all four grids are in parallel. By tracing the runs to the connector, could add a jumper to the vehicle connector to emulate closed automatic head lamps, and a second one for pulsing on and off a test lamp connected to the rear side of fuse 48.

With ignition on, engine off, could pulse that test lamp on and off with a jumper wire, both the test lamps and the speedometer light would come on with one pulse than off. I didn't record which color wires on the vehicle light switch had to be jumpered. I just do this kind of stuff mentally and forget it. But did learn the program already existed for the fogs before ordering the fog lamp kit.

It's my understanding that some had to pay around 60 bucks to their dealer to have the BCM reprogrammed. And some negotiation to getting this price had to be done.

Another thing I didn't do was to identify the fog lamp relay mounted on that fuse panel PCB, but could hear it click on and off. For whatever strange reason, not identified on the fuse panel connector.

On the original switch, does have that push button, but the contact pads are all that are missing.

My dealer was firm on charging me 235 bucks for that kit, and if you have to lay out another another hundred for programming, might as well just pay him the 320 bucks to have them installed. But with knowledge and patience was able to get the same exact kit off of ebay for 130 and had some fun installing them myself.

First thing I did that took all of 5 seconds was to install the fog lamp switch, hook up my test lamp to make sure both the head lamps and fog switch worked properly. Using my torque adjustable right angle impact wrench with a magnetize bit at the end, installation was easy without removing the bumper.

#8 ·
From what I could see, only those four contact pads were missing from the original switch. With the kit, get two made in Korea plastic fog lamps, two plastic bezels, very simple parallel two wire harness, and eight screws. GM interest in these is to give the dealers means of making extra money.

Now I am going to say something nasty about the Cruze, one of the worse vehicles I have ever driven for side night vision when having to make sharp corners on city roads. People walk on the streets a night, even kids. This is where the fog lights make a huge difference. Ha, you can forget about the fog, you need these to see around corners.

#9 ·
My LED fog lights light the sides up great, up to about 15 feet to the side.

#10 ·
Great information! Interesting that GM had the fogs enabled, took that out, then added it back. Silly GM bean-counters...

#13 ·
Yeah, December 2012 my car was made. My dealer Service Adviser claims that he has never had to flash one, but we will see. He said it was $85 to do it.

#15 ·
Yeah, December 2012 my car was made. My dealer Service Adviser claims that he has never had to flash one, but we will see. He said it was $85 to do it.
That's not a bad price, did they say they needed the OEM kit and instructions to find the "Code" to unlock?
No, they said if I hook everything up and it doesn't work to just bring it in. But I got the switch and everything, so we will see.

Someone mentioned wiring it to a switch and to power on with the running lights. I was thinking of trying to do that and wiring it to the original switch since it's just a simple button in the center of a normal dial.

#18 ·
If you have an OEM switch with fogs, just install the switch sans other wiring and see if the dash lights up with the fog icon after pushing the switch. If so, no flash needed.
This one ^

That's actually what my buddy recommended. I Plugged it in and pushed the button, and it worked! So we will see when I put the actual lights on Saturday for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.