Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
We need people like XTreme to be a go between and contact with GM. Coming from GMInsideNews believe me it helps.

Now, I do fault GM for knowing about this issue for the first 2 model years and then making zero changes for the 2013 Model. That is just unacceptable. I know other car companies have issues but I don't think any of them would be stupid enough to continue producing a model with a known defect for a third year in a row without changes.
GM should have put whatever was necessary into correcting this issue and if their engineering team couldn't come up with a fix than perhaps Opel's engineering team could have been brought in.
From what I understand only NA Cruzen (I love saying that) have this issue, if so, than the 1.4T should have been replaced by another engine (such as the 2.4L Ecotec) until and unless GM could find the problem. In the meantime engineers should have kept looking for a way to fix those from 2011 and 2012. Speaking of Ecotec, GM had a perfectly good engine in the 2.2L Engine and if they had this engine standard and the 1.4T optional it would have been a better way to go, but that is a seperate issue.
It's clear to me that GM didn't have any urgency about this issue until less than a year ago. Something is wrong somewhere. What about the sticking steering issue, will GM wait another year before deciding it was worth their time and effort to correct?
Now, more lost customers and fewer customers buying the Cruze. and possible lost to GM forever. That is not a good business model.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It sounds like you have done your homework shopping for a vehicle. It appears that this is not a common problem with many Cruzes. I really like my Cruze, feel that it is a well built vehicle and overall a fantastic vehicle. I have not had any further problems other than the antifreeze issue. Honestly, if they offer me a deal for another GM vehicle to include a Cruze I would consider. This is my first GM vehicle. I have owned 4 Subaru's and I will report that I feel Subaru designs a fantastic vehicle. I have never had problems with a Subaru, but did have recalls and they fixed the problem. Other then the recalls the only thing I ever replaced on my Subaru's were "wear and tear" items after thousands of miles. My last Subaru was 2008 Outback and I loved the vehicle. It was great as an all-wheel drive and just an overall fantastic car. I ended trading it in so my wife could get a 2012 Honda Odyssey as a family vehicle. Later we needed a second vehicle so I bought a 2012 Cruze. So, I am giving GM the opportunity to stand up and honor it's commitment to fix this problem. The competition is competitive in the auto industry and GM knows that other manufacturers are designing some awesome vehicles. So, what I am saying is don't allow this issue to have you second guess the quality of the Cruze or GM. GM knows that if they don't stand up for their products then eventually productivity and sells will head on the downward slope. I think people are becoming more attentive to not impulsively purchase a vehicle, but to do their homework like you before a purchase. I think GM with other auto manufacturers know this. I shopped for approximately 2 months before considering the Cruze. You have to make the call, but all vehicles are recalled for some design flaw or they need some tweaking. Unfortunately, my Cruze is having this issue, but somehow, someway it is going to get resolved.
Just curious why you didn't buy an Impreza. I test drove one and that's my go to car if the 2014 Cruze doesn't get any improvements.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My wonderful wife. She's not a Subaru lover. Kind of a trade off - she got the Honda - I got my Cruze .:) I really liked the drive, build, and economical stats about the Cruze.
Cool. I'm also considering the VW Golf. It seems to be more reliable than the other VWs and the interior wasn't dumbed down like the Jetta.
I still want to wait until the end of the year to see what the 2014 Cruze is like.

·
Registered
713 Posts
VWs =/= reliable. The 2.5 is more reliable than the TDI and 2.0T, but it's still a VW and they are plagued with electrical nightmares. Too bad. They're very much drivers cars and fantastic to drive. I love the Golf - woulda bought the TDI if it weren't $26,000.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thats why I never considered them but the Golf does intrigue me. I'll do more research on reliability-I would buy the 2.5 if I went for it.
On thing I love about the Golf-lumbar controls in the seat, plus I like the teutonic dashboard and the fact they have been making them for years at the same plant in Germany

·
Registered
713 Posts
New grease seals will smell. This is done at the factory and has time to dry and air out, having this done when it needs to be driven is unfortunate because if it gets hot it will take longer to cure and air out

·
Registered
713 Posts
UPDATE: Got my car back, ran it back and forth to work and I'm still smelling coolant, so it looks like this did not work for me. Will be calling my dealership manager on Monday, to ask that we get the ball rolling on the buy back. Enough is enough with this issue, 3 unsuccessful repair attempts is plenty for me. I can hear the Toyota down the road calling me.
Ignore the call, then drive to the Subaru down the road

·
Registered
713 Posts
You don't have to be moving for the ABS test. Let it idle and see if it makes that sound after 30 seconds or so. It's usually not a clunk sound though more like a motor whirring

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well the wife drove the car to work today and told me it still smells like coolant? Wonderful! We'll give it a few days to make sure there isn't residual coolant from the core change in there. If not back she goes only we'll get a loaner car for a few days this time lol. I've got better things to do with my time then go to the dealer but its under warranty I guess.

On a second note I just got a new 4 wheeler and it died after 2 miles on odo? At the dealer now with an electrical problem. Why buy new anymore if its all junk? You pay more for less quality? Its kind've of the way it appears anymore with anything.

I don't care about having a computer screen or the latest techy stuff in my car or trucks, I want reliability, comfort and quality period!
Amen, brother

·
Registered
713 Posts
GM needs to admit failure and ditch the 1.4T. First off, it's too small for the weight of the Cruze. Secondly, it obviously has issues somewhere, and third-it just ain't working out!
They have other tested engines to replace it with. They should just ditch the POS 1.8L and make the 1.6T standard and make the 2.5L ecotec optional.
Solves 2 problems-no more mediocre car reviews because of the power train and better reliability.
I call that a win-win for the company and their customers.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I tell you what, I was willing to overlook the flaws the Cruze has that bother me and was going to buy the 2014 Model. Now I have no intention of buying one. This is coming from a guy with over $3,000 of GM Card Points burning a hole in his wallet.
You can imagine what a non-GM customer is thinking. No F'ing Way is what they're thinking.
This company is so mismanaged it's sickening

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yesterday after I reinflated my tires to 45 PSI (dealership had dropped them to 35 when they did the oil change on Friday) I took a closer look at the surge tank. The tank actually looks like it's designed to have a secondary vent hose installed - the vent cover pops right off the side of the tank. While I had it off I cleaned off all the coolant residue from the vent channel and the vent cover so I will easily be able to tell if I'm still venting coolant. My coolant residue is florescent orange since I had the leak test dye put in 10K miles ago, making it really easy to see. Now I wait and monitor. I'll also see if I can get my HVAC system de-molded to eliminate the dirty sock smell, which is 90% of my odor.
Why do you put so much air in your tires? I can see going a little over the door jam numbers (I put in 32 instead of 30) but that is way too high, IMO

·
Registered
713 Posts
What a shame that this is happening. It really is inexcusable for this to be going on 3 years now without a fix.
Between this and the Malibu fiasco I really don't have much faith that GM is going to remain near the top in sales without a new CEO and a completely new mind think at the company. However, with the current BOD I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Horribly mismanaged company.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.