Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
681 - 700 of 799 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
It appears that at least you were able to narrow the smell to the HVAC case assembly. Good news for you that the engine compartment seems to be okay. I think it is important that others who are not familiar with the Cruze's engine compartment smell knows that these cars will have a smell after driving. My coolant smell is now mainly isolated and more prevalent around the turbo area after driving and it doesn't knock you on your feet. The tank and cap area still seem to be clear. Before my fix, my garage and the cabin of my Cruze smelled like I was recycling boiled antifreeze for a few hours after driving.

I am wondering what the odds are of having an "odor free" HVAC case assembly? I guess it all depends on how much lube is present in the box, (and/or) how often you use the heater and at what settings. If the odds are not in your favor then it appears that the smell will eventually "sneak" into the cabin over time. I am curious how Cruzes in warmer climate areas report problems with the HVAC case assemblies? It may be less noticeable then those of us living in colder climate areas based on the usage of the heater.

As for my transmission (A/T) (2012 LT) I have not had any issues at this time. Smooth shifting up/down so far.
Knowing what to sniff for definitely helps. Even if you don't know it's relatively easy to sniff inside the cabin and then compare the smells under the hood. If you smell the same thing under the hood the source is there and PI-0940 should be done (without the stupid hose reroute) and with extra care on the sealing of the engine cowl area. If the smell is different, then the source cannot be solely under the hood, although it may contribute and provide a blended smell in the cabin.

The dirty sock smell I had would occur at any time with any blower fan setting and any heat setting, with or without the A/C on and with recirc on or off. Only once that was gone was I able to deal with heat related smells. The combination of the two is really, really rank but not as irritating to the eyes as the glycol alone.

As for the odds of having an odor free casing I suspect they are very slim for Cruzen in northern climates. What I suspect is that the more you use your cabin heater the more the grease will decay and it's the decayed grease that's the actual odor source. Cruzen in warmer climates may never exhibit this as their heaters just won't be run enough to break down the grease. I'd wager the 2014 model year will have very few cases of HVAC ducting lubricant related odors - XR reported that Lordstown has already switched to the new ducting lubricant. They are still producing 2013 model year Cruzen.

BigSkyMontana, I'd like to personally thank you for your time and patience with your dealership working this out as well as your time reporting the progress of what's been done, what worked, and what didn't work. Your efforts and reporting helped me help my dealership diagnose the source of my odors. Rob, thanks for suggesting I had a mold/mildew problem - that was about 70% of the smells I was getting and 100% in the summer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Knowing what to sniff for definitely helps. Even if you don't know it's relatively easy to sniff inside the cabin and then compare the smells under the hood. If you smell the same thing under the hood the source is there and PI-0940 should be done (without the stupid hose reroute) and with extra care on the sealing of the engine cowl area. If the smell is different, then the source cannot be solely under the hood, although it may contribute and provide a blended smell in the cabin.

The dirty sock smell I had would occur at any time with any blower fan setting and any heat setting, with or without the A/C on and with recirc on or off. Only once that was gone was I able to deal with heat related smells. The combination of the two is really, really rank but not as irritating to the eyes as the glycol alone.

As for the odds of having an odor free casing I suspect they are very slim for Cruzen in northern climates. What I suspect is that the more you use your cabin heater the more the grease will decay and it's the decayed grease that's the actual odor source. Cruzen in warmer climates may never exhibit this as their heaters just won't be run enough to break down the grease. I'd wager the 2014 model year will have very few cases of HVAC ducting lubricant related odors - XR reported that Lordstown has already switched to the new ducting lubricant. They are still producing 2013 model year Cruzen.

BigSkyMontana, I'd like to personally thank you for your time and patience with your dealership working this out as well as your time reporting the progress of what's been done, what worked, and what didn't work. Your efforts and reporting helped me help my dealership diagnose the source of my odors. Rob, thanks for suggesting I had a mold/mildew problem - that was about 70% of the smells I was getting and 100% in the summer.
I would like to personally thank you and others on this forum for giving me the knowledge and sharing your/their personal experience as you/they tackled not only this issue, but other issues. The insight I have learned from you and others was and is invaluable and helpful in working through this issue. I really like the car and want to enjoy more years of driving. There will be a time that I will sell/trade, but for now I will get it fixed. When I do sell/trade I am not passing on the problem to someone else. I am satisfied with my service manager and the work his department continues to do to help me through this issue. As I posted before, my GM customer service rep did the best she could, but unfortunately I felt that she was left in the dark. As everyone knows I am dissatisfied with the way GM has handled my case. I just think that they should have been more proactive (both in tackling this issue and updating Cruze owners when the problem surfaced). But, there is a great team of members on his forum and for those of us looking for solutions together helps. Maybe GM should think about hiring from this forum. At least they will have others whom have an interest in customer satisfaction and listening to what is and what is not working.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
So I picked up my new surge tank tonight. It has a VERY small surface imperfection in the same place as the one on my car, but nowhere near as severe. I'm fairly confident that it won't cause an issue. My cap should be in later this week, so we'll see how it goes.

Oh, here's something interesting for fastdriver...

As I was leaving the dealership a 2.4L Verano with a raised hood beckoned:

Huh? There's something awful familiar in there... LOOK - the pressure cap is the same as the one on the Cruze:

Oh no! It's the same tank as the Cruze too! Part number 13393368:

So this means a Verano is no less succeptible to having a leaky cap-to-tank seal than a Cruze is... better go check the part number on the tank on your Turbo! I bet it's a 13393368 too! And MADE IN CANADA to boot... those darn Canucks! :)

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Knowing how plastics are molded I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the "deformation" is actually where the plastic is injected into the mold.

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
After reading all the complaints about the 2011 automatic transmission I must say the 2013's have a very, very smooth automatic transmission.

Since the 2011 transmissions were "operating as designed", GM decided to change things for 2012/2013! Wonder why?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I would like to personally thank you and others on this forum for giving me the knowledge and sharing your/their personal experience as you/they tackled not only this issue, but other issues. The insight I have learned from you and others was and is invaluable and helpful in working through this issue. I really like the car and want to enjoy more years of driving. There will be a time that I will sell/trade, but for now I will get it fixed. When I do sell/trade I am not passing on the problem to someone else. I am satisfied with my service manager and the work his department continues to do to help me through this issue. As I posted before, my GM customer service rep did the best she could, but unfortunately I felt that she was left in the dark. As everyone knows I am dissatisfied with the way GM has handled my case. I just think that they should have been more proactive (both in tackling this issue and updating Cruze owners when the problem surfaced). But, there is a great team of members on his forum and for those of us looking for solutions together helps. Maybe GM should think about hiring from this forum. At least they will have others whom have an interest in customer satisfaction and listening to what is and what is not working.
BSM- you mean GM has NOT been "proactively alerting" you to any post production problems as a GM host has stated? Mmm...they must have lost your address and email! Look on the bright side, if something happens with your current job, you could apply at a Chevy dealership as a PROBLEM SOLVER and watch THAT dealer's sales go through the roof with you onboard!:)

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
So I picked up my new surge tank tonight. It has a VERY small surface imperfection in the same place as the one on my car, but nowhere near as severe. I'm fairly confident that it won't cause an issue. My cap should be in later this week, so we'll see how it goes.

Oh, here's something interesting for fastdriver...

As I was leaving the dealership a 2.4L Verano with a raised hood beckoned:

Huh? There's something awful familiar in there... LOOK - the pressure cap is the same as the one on the Cruze:

Oh no! It's the same tank as the Cruze too! Part number 13393368:

So this means a Verano is no less succeptible to having a leaky cap-to-tank seal than a Cruze is... better go check the part number on the tank on your Turbo! I bet it's a 13393368 too! And MADE IN CANADA to boot... those darn Canucks! :)

That may be, BUT I have NOT read ONE thing about a Verano having this issue. I will check it out tomorrow and report back. As a matter of fact, in case you did not know, my Cruze NEVER had the coolant issue. My problem was the crappy shifting transmission and lack of acceleration and lousy gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
That may be, BUT I have NOT read ONE thing about a Verano having this issue. I will check it out tomorrow and report back. As a matter of fact, in case you did not know, my Cruze NEVER had the coolant issue. My problem was the crappy shifting transmission and lack of acceleration and lousy gas mileage.
Sounds like you got lucky twice then. Don't use your heater and you'll be OK (probably uses a similar HVAC module with the same lubricant as the Cruze). :)

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I know!

C'mon fastdriver.....Attitude is everything:)

Hey, I'm pulling for you! I just feel bad because you think GM cares and will contact you for your thoughts and experiences with this issue and their lack of input. Put that out of your mind because it's never going to happen.:cussing:

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Sounds like you got lucky twice then. Don't use your heater and you'll be OK (probably uses a similar HVAC module with the same lubricant as the Cruze). :)

We had a BRUTAL winter for CT. I used my heater ALL the time on HIGH because I HATE the cold! I had every heater on- seats and steering wheel too!

·
Registered
225 Posts
BSM- you mean GM has NOT been "proactively alerting" you to any post production problems as a GM host has stated? Mmm...they must have lost your address and email! Look on the bright side, if something happens with your current job, you could apply at a Chevy dealership as a PROBLEM SOLVER and watch THAT dealer's sales go through the roof with you onboard!:)
Oops, must be a leak somewhere. Someone must of informed you of my current operation after I graduate from the Antifreeze and Glycol-Based Substances 501 (Masters level) class. I'm already working undercover. Covert operations regarding customer service and satisfaction ratings. I am thinking I'll be ready to infiltrate the GM headquarters soon and provide them with some expertise on providing customer satisfaction!:)

·
Banned
98 Posts
Oops, must be a leak somewhere. Someone must of informed you of my current operation after I graduate from the Antifreeze and Glycol-Based Substances 501 (Masters level) class. I'm already working undercover. Covert operations regarding customer service and satisfaction ratings. I am thinking I'll be ready to infiltrate the GM headquarters soon and provide them with some expertise on providing customer satisfaction!:)
Who was your teacher, Ralph Nader?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I can't see the numbers on the tank, so I can't post a picture, but I did take a pic of the cap. I did not unscrew it to look on the inside because if it "aint" broken, don't fix it! We'll see what happens next winter and if any smell appears. Have you heard of any Verano having the coolant smell problem? I haven't read anything about it. If there was a Verano at your dealer, I assume they sell them? Ask them if they had any problems like the Cruze. When I bring my car in for the first oil change, I'll ask them if they have heard of this problem even though they don't sell Chevys. I also took a few pics of the engine while I had the hood open if you're interested in how things are set up.One thing that I have noticed about the Verano is that the engine does warm up much faster than the Cruze did. Also, the heated seats work faster. I notice that when BigSkyMontana posts his temp figures, I believe he mentions 200+ degrees? My temp gauge has 3 markings- 120-185-250. With 250 being the RED zone! My car, when hot, is one mark over 185? My engine runs cooler? Just an observation. Have no clue what it means.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive engine part

Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive wheel system Logo
http://[URL="http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/"http://smg.photobucket.com/user/fastdriver2/media/2013

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cruze went in today for the HVAC case assembly R/R. As always was met by my service department and manager with a handshake and a smile. Spent some time discussing the process with him. We were joking around about the case assembly....hoping that the supplier sent the updated box........that would be a plus! Should have the car back tomorrow evening or Friday. I requested some pics of the R/R process. Left my camera and requested some pics, especially of my old box and the lube areas. If I am able to get some good shots I will post.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
We had a BRUTAL winter for CT. I used my heater ALL the time on HIGH because I HATE the cold!
You, and tens of thousands of satisfied Cruze owners as well. :)

Have you heard of any Verano having the coolant smell problem? I haven't read anything about it.
When I Google to find anything all I come up with are your posts on various forums telling people about the problems you had with your Cruze.

One thing that I have noticed about the Verano is that the engine does warm up much faster than the Cruze did... ...My temp gauge has 3 markings- 120-185-250. With 250 being the RED zone! My car, when hot, is one mark over 185? My engine runs cooler?
Coolant gauges on these cars are not much more than glorified idiot lights. It is quite common on most new cars that the temp gauge stops climbing much sooner than the actual coolant temp, and then stays still until another higher set temp is exceeded. There's a huge "dead zone" of engine temps that are not accurately reported. This keeps people from worrying about their engine temp and pestering the dealerships when nothing is actually wrong with the car... dumbing things down for the masses. The 2011 Cruze had a temp display on the DIC, the 2012 and newer do not. GM learned that information in the wrong hands is dangerous (and costly).

It warms up faster because it is not as efficient and has more waste heat production; the physics of a 43% larger engine pulling a heavier car around.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Blue Angel......talk about dumb instruments, here's one for ya.

My 09 Miata has a oil pressure gauge.....that isn't.
It is driven by the ecm.
The only time it won't move the needle is if it has no, zero, nada oil pressure.
If it has more than 4 psi, the ecm/bcm is satisfied and waves the needle around based on coolant temperature and rpm.

So, say my actual pressure at the tap is .....5psi.....the computer is happy and now I'll get a reading on the gauge, depending on temp and rpm, around the lower 1/4 gauge at hot idle, around 3/4 gauge at 2000 rpm......all because, I guess, Mazda doesn't want the operators to fret over the real readings....good grief.

All the manufacturers are creating nothing but 'feel good' dashboard info for nitwits.

Rob

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I'd love to be able to go into my dealership and say "turn on all the vehicle status information." and have a new set of displays that show actual temps, oil pressure, turbo boost, fuel remaining in gallons, battery voltage, current draw and max current draw, ECO air shutters open or closed, tire pressures, etc.

I can understand why most people wouldn't want this information, but after you drive a car for a while you'll get a feel for what is "normal" for your car and can then use this information to detect possible abnormal operating conditions.

681 - 700 of 799 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.