Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I currently don't own a Cruze but am in the market for a very fuel efficient car so that I can park my truck 4 days a week. I'm a GM guy so Cruze is probably my choice. I did a search, but the threads seem to be pretty old and mostly speculation / rumors. I'm wondering if there are any confirmed details on the next generation cruze? Most outlets point to a 2016 car. Other than that I'm wondering what has been confirmed or speculated for gas engines (sorry, not interested in going the Diesel route)? Part of me can't imagine having a 140 hp car, so if I had to wait a year to get one that was a little bumped up in HP but still had the fuel economy at roughly the same price, that would be a no-brainer. If it looks like the HP or torque numbers aren't going to change much, I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger this month, rather than next year.

I am very patient so waiting for the new model is fine, I just want to get answers before I go to a dealer. I already know dealers will say "they won't change anything important, you should buy this one RIGHT NOW".

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It'll have four tires, an internal combustion engine, head lights, tail/brake lights, etc. :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have you driven a Cruze with a 1.4L? You'd be surprised how quick it is for 140hp.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Part of me can't imagine having a 140 hp car,
You might be surprised. The 1.4 turbo seems to be tuned for getting underway in city traffic. It may not win races, but it won't be the slowpoke and it won't have to strain getting though traffic.

I haven't picked a name for my car yet, but I'm considering "Zippy" because it feels pretty nimble.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The second generation Cruze will indeed be a 2016 MY car. Even though the new design has been delayed one year (was originally supposed to be a 2015 model), it will still be a first year production of the new design. Whereas, the 2015 is the last year production of the first generation Cruze. Something to consider. Personally, I'm waiting until the 2018s before I decide if I'm going to trade in my 2003 P5.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,541 Posts
Wait for the upcoming auto shows. They've been very tight lipped about it til then.

Of course, there are rumors and spy shots but nothing confirmed for production yet.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
There was a post on here about the features of the new family of 1.4T engines. Something about like 5% more mpg and more hp/tq, while being like 20-50lbs lighter.

Sent from the sexy electrician

Reactions: Dvan5693

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
There was a post on here about the features of the new family of 1.4T engines. Something about like 5% more mpg and more hp/tq, while being like 20-50lbs lighter.
That is good news, since at least the ECO has had the same MPGs since 2011. GM needs to raise the bar with the new design.

Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
More good news - the engine blocks are aluminum, hopefully these will warm up faster then the Iron block 1.4ts.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Everyone on that link is complaining about the weight of the cruze and how it's fuel mileage is only average. From what I've read and seen, above average would be a better choice of words

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
54 Posts
If price is a concern keep in mind that when a new model comes out there are really limited rebates/incentives for the first couple years. So if you want a significant discount and don't want to wait until 2018 you may want to find a 2014 or 15.

·
17,541 Posts
If price is a concern keep in mind that when a new model comes out there are really limited rebates/incentives for the first couple years. So if you want a significant discount and don't want to wait until 2018 you may want to find a 2014 or 15.
They were already offering pretty good deals by mid-year 2012 on Cruzes. Well below MSRP, anyway.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The article mentions an integrated head/exhaust manifold to increase warmup times as well.
I believe the latest generation VW TDI's 2015 2.0L have done this as well.....If I'm not mistaken, it was for the exact same reason.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The aluminum 1.4 has been in existance all along......it is used in non-turocharged form in the Volt.....from its inception.

Reason given for the iron block at introduction time of the turbo 1.4 was easier control of NVH.

I'm going to assume the integral exaust cylinder head will, to some degree, DECREASE warm up time but the primary intent is likely to get the primary catalyst even closer to the port to decrease 'light off' time.

The integrated head design is currently found on the 3.6 V-6.

To get a good idea of what the 2016 Cruze will look like, just take a peek at the Chevrolet China site......their Cruze is essentially our next generation being introed as a 2016.

Rob

·
17,541 Posts
The aluminum 1.4 has been in existance all along......it is used in non-turocharged form in the Volt.....from its inception.

Reason given for the iron block at introduction time of the turbo 1.4 was easier control of NVH.

I'm going to assume the integral exaust cylinder head will, to some degree, DECREASE warm up time but the primary intent is likely to get the primary catalyst even closer to the port to decrease 'light off' time.

The integrated head design is currently found on the 3.6 V-6.

To get a good idea of what the 2016 Cruze will look like, just take a peek at the Chevrolet China site......their Cruze is essentially our next generation being introed as a 2016.

Rob
The LUU used in the Volt is still a cast-iron block.

GM 1.4 Liter I4 Ecotec LUU Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts