Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to replace my front rotors on my 2011 cruze ls. I was gonna go with OEM but seen some pretty cheap kits online, dont know if they are any good. LIke this one for example Front Kit Performance Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads M040583 | eBay

or this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Front-Pre...rolet|Model:Cruze&hash=item4621c32d2f&vxp=mtr

are these any good? Anything similar in price but maybe better quality? I am not looking for anything expensive just want quite brakes. Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you want quite use stock blank rotors and pads

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
Drilled/Slotted rotors have absolutely zero benefit for use on street cars. Unless you're spending gobs of money on G3000 or G3500 castings, you're almost guaranteed to develop hairline cracks around the holes. If you want better brakes, get better pads and a good blank rotor.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,342 Posts
Don't do drilled/slotted rotors. They look cool, but they make weird noises and offer no benefit besides destroying brake pads (and sometimes the rotors may actually crack).

Pick up some good pads and some good rotor blanks. I went with the Centric Premium rotors & Akebono ceramic pads for under $200.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I cracked 3 out of 4 drilled/slotted rotors on my Vette just doing a pad bed-in. I'll never use drilled rotors again, though the ones I cracked were cheap replacements, not the OE rotors.

Slotted rotors have benefits and are not prone to cracking.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I just ordered my EBC front brakes. USR 10.9" rotors and Green Stuff pads. Not cheap though.
Let us know how they work out!

I had a set of GS pads on my last Saturn, with Powerslot rotors. They started pulsing after a month or so, which was really confusing since I used exactly the same parts on my previous Saturn and they worked and lasted great. Exactly the same part numbers too. I have a feeling the Powerslot rotors changed to an inferior iron by the time I bought the second set.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Drilled/Slotted rotors have absolutely zero benefit for use on street cars. Unless you're spending gobs of money on G3000 or G3500 castings, you're almost guaranteed to develop hairline cracks around the holes. If you want better brakes, get better pads and a good blank rotor.
That's what I figured, wouldn't drilled rotors mean less surface area? I read a thread that you made under

I followed the links you provided and found EBC STAGE 1 STREET KIT
With 10.9 in. Front Rotors
for $184.30 free shipping pads and everything.

My buddy told me that the aftermarket durlast pads I have installed aren't sitting snugly and rattling around, explains all the metal to metal clanking I hear driving over deflectors, or that one single metal clank when I apply the brakes going in reverse, not to mention the awful groan I hear when I come to a creeping stop. uggghhhh I've done pad swaps so many times on other vehicles and never had the problems I am having with the cruze, he's a picky one isn't he?

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I believe Brembro makes good blanks for our cars. Slotted and vented is trash for our cars and the ebay link you provided. ZZP makes an upgrade I have heard mixed reviews but very few reviews over all so I cant lean one way or the other. I am half tempted to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
have u seen the 12" big brake kit from zzp? They come with the 2 piston PBR calipers
I believe member poje was the one who has these installed. There were some issues installing them, but once installed and working correctly I think they worked out well. Do a little searching and read up on his experience.

·
Registered
990 Posts
have u seen the 12" big brake kit from zzp? They come with the 2 piston PBR calipers
nothing more then fbody calipers they work well ive had them for about a year

Reactions: Blue Angel

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gotta keep reminding my self that this is an Economy Car haha is $180 a reasonable amount to spend on the brake kit I mentioned earlier?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you have to stop fast in an emergency, $180 could be a lot cheaper than a dire consequence. PBR calipers work fine in my '03 Z06 with better pads and drilled/slotted rotors, they should be more than acceptable on a Cruze. Hoping to do the improvements to my Cruze in the not too distant future. Brake time is coming soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts