Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been really enjoying my Cruze ever since I got the bugs worked out of it and after tinkering around I wanted to start adding some mods. However, I live in California where we have tight emission policies, so I was looking to get a decent cold air intake to replace the stock one... even though the performance gains if any would be minimum, and I eventually plan on getting a tune. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent CAI that can be shipped and used in California. I have a 1.4l turbo 2012 chevy cruze.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Probably k&n is your best chance, but any that are certified by CARB will do. I don't know of any tunes that are certified, but all ya gotta do is in tune it for testing.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you plan on getting a tune I wouldn't worry about getting a carb legal intake. You'll have to remove both for smog test

·
Registered
192 Posts
California....hahahha.....well, i live there also so I share your pain...

The only one that's legal, in this lovely state, is the K&N 69-4521TS Typhoon.

You can search the California Air Resource Board website for the complete list Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders List by device -> Manufacture->Air filter/intake modification. Then ctrl+f to find "cruze"

But i'm an outlaw and tear up the streetz with an Injen.

Edit: looks like
AEM 21-744C is also an approved one. Found it under "Cruz"
[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you plan on getting a tune I wouldn't worry about getting a carb legal intake. You'll have to remove both for smog test

I don't know why you'd have to remove a CARB legal intake, you'd have to remove the tune for sure though. I'd be tempted to try testing with a tune. Don't know that it would actually affect emissions with cats installed.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't know why you'd have to remove a CARB legal intake, you'd have to remove the tune for sure though. I'd be tempted to try testing with a tune. Don't know that it would actually affect emissions with cats installed.[/QUOTE

IMo the kn sucks and I also thought he had a newer gen Cruze which doesn't have a valid EO carb number yet. Didn't notice he had a 2012 till after

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information guys! I guess I could always remove it when I get smogged. I hate California, I don't see how an air intake is harmful.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most intakes are CA legal. K&N and Injen are the top. CXRacing has a nice one but you'll need to get an Injen or K&N filter to replace the crappy one they give you. Having said that there isn't much performance gain over just removing the pipe that goes down into the fender.

Unless you just want the whoosh..pshhh sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts