Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm quickly becoming more active and I'm wondering if anyone has any fun stories to share.

The regular Joe's out there aren't used to seeing a CTD and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. My girlfriend has had three "Good Samaritans" try to stop her from putting diesel in her car on "accident" only to walk away with their tails between their legs, and I've had the station attendant RUN out of the store to stop me!

I live on a crowded street and I get way too much enjoyment out of grabbing the big jug of DEF and pouring it into the trunk of my car for all to see... More than one passerby has come up and asked what I'm doing.

Share your stories!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
This summer in my town a local countrymark station had some promotion going on with a radio station and for every gallon of fuel sold they were donating 50 cents a gallon to some soldiers charity, so I pull up in my CTD and they are like hey your at the wrong pump, the gas is up here. I am like thanks but this is a diesel. They are like oh I didn't know Chevy made that...yikes Chevy never really did advertise, go figure.

Reactions: Gator

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I honestly think GM was afraid to advertise after what a &^%show the 80s Oldsmobiles were. I think they were hoping to just quietly slip a few thousand diesels onto the streets and see if word of mouth carried them.

I haven't seen any advertisements for the new Dura-rado either come to think of it

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I get a lot less attention than I thought I would at fueling stations. I added a TURBODIESEL badge to my car and that has gotten a few people to say "I didn't know Chevy made a diesel". I think I may have even sold one to a guy - he seemed ready to go straight to the Chevy dealership and buy one once he realized they existed.

I actually got way more attention putting diesel into my old Benzes in the past. i thought EVERYBODY knew that Mercedes made diesels. it was while fueling a Benz that the station attendant ran out to warn me.

Reactions: BrandoFisher117

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,179 Posts
I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet with me or my wife.

Nobody was confused by me filling up the trunk in the street, either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Back when I had my 2009 Jetta TDI some gas stations still had the larger diesel fueling nozzles (Not the big semi quick fill) and they never fit in the filler tube so i was walking to the next pump to see if it had a smaller one... Someone comes up to me and asks if I'm looking for gas... Um no

Then when I still had my CTD I needed DEF so Kwik trip had it by the semi fuel pump section, some guy was like um what are you doing? So many people would tell me they didn't know chevy made a diesel car!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I still get told that people didn't realize Chevrolet makes a diesel car.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Most here don't realize the Cruze is a diesel. I would think that all the bad things of GM diesels would be a thing of the past and most wouldn't remember. Especially since the younger generation wasn't even born yet to a point to remember.

I have yet to put DEF in mine. The dealer filled it up when they replaced the tank heater. When I do we have a truck stop close by that has DEF at the pump and it is cheaper than what I can get in the jug. So it will be interesting when I go to fill up my DEF tank, if anything at all will be said.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Our parents tell us about the older diesels with disgust in their voices.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,179 Posts
On the rare occasion I have my wife pick me up at the turnaround where a lot of people walk in/out of (turnstiles there), you'll see people do a double-take when they walk past the front of the car, when they hear that clearly-diesel idle. I always get a good kick out of that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts