Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my water outlet about 15 months ago (before all the turbo and cat work!) with a Dorman 902-846, hoping that their design and lifetime warranty might make for a better part. Today I had to change it again because the radiator hose connection split -- perfectly ... as if I used a hacksaw and cut a half-inch piece off, which was still in the hose. Luckily it happened in the garage apparently after my son drove home today. Overall didn't lose much coolant (about 1/3 gallon).

It MAY be that the work on the turbo/etc stressed the piece causing the failure ... certainly the incompetent techs at Bunnin Chevrolet in Santa Barbara screwed up a few other things, so it is definitely possible. But it seems it still shouldn't break. I got it exchanged under the "lifetime warranty" at Auto Zone, where they informed me that the lifetime is up ... just one exchange allowed (contacting Dorman to verify that).

But I am wondering if anyone makes one that is actually better than OEM, or if OEM was finally improved, like they improved the PCV system (kidding ... I know that's still crap). Perhaps I should just keep a few as spares in the garage ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a worm clamp on mine that also basically perfectly split off (after only a year with the Dorman). Maybe we need to use duct tape!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know I'll trigger people but...spring clamps are in most every way better than worm gear. They have had a bad rap from day one by old schoolers. But the truth is spring clamps provide plenty of EVENLY distributed compression for the applications. Worm gear clamps are fine (although still inferior) to spring clamps for use on metal fittings. And sure, if you had some kind of mechanical issue that caused an over pressure condition you can over tighten a worm gear clamp to "fix" the symptom. And that fact only perpetuates the misconceptions. :confused:

View attachment 295529
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Funny thing is ... I HAD a spring clip on that part. One of the dealers changed it to worm. Maybe I should change back.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hehe, wait until you know the truth.
I do have one question ... on the drivers side radiator hose, I could not for the life of me get a spring clamp on at all .... so I used a worm gear clamp there instead. Is there some sort of trick to getting a spring clamp on without killing myself?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts