Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Been trying to surf the web to do research on this HPR stuff. So far everything I see leads me to believe its not going to hurt to try the stuff. I will first be trying in on my 07 Duramax.
I did download the Propel app and noticed there are at least 5 stations on my way to work (near LAX) and one about 15 minutes from my house. The price is listed as 10cents a gallon more than the cheapest #2 in my area. not too bad I guess. In the past weeks 87 octane was averaging 50cent more per gallon than #2 and in some cases up to $1 more in the areas by the airport!

Anyway, my best guess is to run my truck as close to empty as possible before filling up with this stuff, as it may not be a good idea to mix with whatever #2 is left in the tank? Thoughts?
HPR is a marketing name licensed by propel. The fuel is actually Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) AKA Renewable Diesel. I've been using it for almost 3 years in multiple diesel vehicles.

The main issue with HPR is that it can cause fuel system leaks in older diesel fuel systems that don't use Viton or other synthetics. The theory is that an absence of hydrocarbons inhibit or reduce seal swell in with this "Green" fuel. I tried mixing it 50/50 in my '03 Golf TDI and it developed a fuel leak in the return line from the injection pump. I filled back up with D2 and it went away so probably not a coincidence.

And my experience is different than some of the comments in regards to fuel economy. I do notice a slight decrease in steady fuel economy when using it, like 5-7%. However, this may be offset by an extended time before regeneration of the DPF if your car has one.

I also notice a minor loss of low end torque w/ HPR. Top end still feels the same but low end feels effected. The cars run very nice and smooth on it though. No smoke and very little smell running on emssions-less diesel engines. The raw liquid fuel has an unusual smell, smells kinda like unscented wax candles or paraffin.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I run this stuff as much as I am able to. The higher cetane levels seem to give a little extra power, it burns cleanly with zero odor, and the fact that it comes from farm waste gives me a little bit of smut knowing my carbon footprint is lower than a Prius, without all the battery mumbojumbo.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts