Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed alot of little orange spots on my white cruze. I clay barred the car today and they all came out. I am wondering if the brake pads are causing this?? Cant think of anything else that might be doing it.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Thats Nice ! No I do not see any ORNAGE spots .. most likely from the trees pollen ..

Take a wet micro fiber cloth and wipe that newly waxed cruzen and you will become pleasantly surprised by this little trick of mine .. it is the wax !

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cant be, none on the hood or roof. Only on the lower doors and right side of wheel wells thats why I am thinking the pads.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Did they clean off ?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The spots to the rear of the wheel wells is indeed your brake dust.
The spots you see on the trunk lid are you vacuuming other cars brake dust from the road.

All colors get it.....white shows it best.......not a Cruze specific issue.

Rob

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like said, either rail dust or what I have pretty much figured out, road salt. These spots are also on the painted plastic parts. Having a white car really shows it. Waxing before winter does not guarantee that this will not be a problem come spring. Lots of winter car washes is all I can say, and clay bar in spring. There is a chemical bath that might take care of it too, but have not looked into it.

On a different note, Win 8.1, update 1 and latest Internet Explorer does not seem to play well with this site. Had to go to Chrome to get the reply to work right.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The spots to the rear of the wheel wells is indeed your brake dust.
The spots you see on the trunk lid are you vacuuming other cars brake dust from the road.

All colors get it.....white shows it best.......not a Cruze specific issue.

Rob
Amazing, this is my first white car and never noticed this with my other cars (most of them were black). I guess it something to get used to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I get these spots on my car all the time, i cant ever wash them off.....i have never tried the clay bar but think its time. I thought they were rust from somewhere but could never figure out where. Anyways they really piss me off having a white car with orange spots.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I know exactly what these orange spots are, latest new problem, grinding up old tires to mix in with asphalt for repairing roads with tiny bits of steel left in the mix left over from the bands. On all vehicles regardless of color, but easiest to see on white cars.

And you see most of these spots where the tires can splash unto the lower side of your vehicle, right?

Turtle Wax, Bug and Tar remover helps, because these bits of steel are tar covered. And its that tar that sticks these bit of steel to the vehicle. More stubborn ones have to be removed with a clay bar, a real PITA of a job to do. A thick coat of wax does help.

What really helps is keeping your vehicles in the show room. These new water based paints they are using like on the Cruze are more porous, so these tarred bits of steel really stick.

Brake dust? This can be washed off with just a plain old water hose.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Aesop Rules I love it .. that's Nice !

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And you see most of these spots where the tires can splash unto the lower side of your vehicle, right?

Exactly!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
To add to this, doesn't have to be your tires spraying this crap on the side of car, there are other vehicles on the road that can help.

And really not orange, but rust colored spots. When I first saw these on my Cruze, thousands of them, thought the paint was chipping, call my dealer, said if I paid 600 bucks extra for their wax job, wouldn't have this, he also blamed brake dust. But took small bits under my powerful microscope, tiny bits of steel wire coated with tar. Then learned using ground up tires.

Supra, black, also had these, but with the hard solvent paint job, were much easier to clean off. Mineral spirits also help with most of them, followed by a good washing and a double wax job.

Bugs are also a problem in sticking to this porous paint.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts