Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I went camping this past week plus came home yesterday & there is nothing like my bed.:) Also my GF was no fun she was crabby most the time even after I told her what I was doing the whole time while I'm there on my vacation. Yes I made her take her car THANK GOD AMEN. She left on the 4th morning only to come back 3 days later. WHY she came back I still have no idea. Well one idea to whine some more about how I'm self centered & only care for myself. LOL but for the most part I still had a good time.

Tell you about myself. I'm a man child :eusa_clap: but good with my money so no real bills everything paid off. Every year I go to Laconia NH for the video game tournament (it was canceled this year but still went) & go camping there for cheap cheap.$250 for 10 days. I like going to all the mini golf courses 8 to be exact. Eat good breakfast & lunch specials. I also wake up at the latest 5:30-6:00 AM she doesn't like that. LOL The main place I go to play video games is called the Fun Spot in Laconia NH. but there are a lot of spots for video games around there. One of the days I rent a kayak & go around lake Winnipesaukee she wanted no part of this (it was to cold waaaaa). I usually go alone on my trips but took a chance on a semi new girlfriend to come this time. NEVER AGAIN. After the trip I talked to her but I think I'm done with her.:uhh: There also a few flea markets up there too (AKA swap meets). If anyone is up in Laconia NH is a great place to try out. I been going there for over 35+ years when my mom & dad took me all the time when I was a little boy. It's not to much money & a fun time IMO. Nice people & beautiful place to camp. great lake if you like fishing. reasonable good places to eat. I wouldn't speed there cops are on patrol all the time. I don't speed so I like seeing cops. They also have a huge bike festival every year there. I never been.

So who likes camping? I sure do. I set up my camp site in less than 1/2ish 4 man tent, air bed a few foldable chairs a cloths line, wood & I'm good. I like to hear your stories about camping. I will be going again at the end of summer again too. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
I love camping my wife and I went on our "mini moon" as I like to call it. A friend of mine when back packing through Europe with his buddy and his girlfriend had to go. I told him it was a bad idea. He had been planning this with his buddy before he ever met her. It was a 38 day trip staying at hostels train riding and back packing. Needless to say she had to go so she convinced her parents to pay for her to meet up with them in Germany 2 weeks in to the trip, she got there and immediately made his life and trip a giant disaster just arguing and complaining about everything. Your story reminded me of his.

Though me I am lucky if I dont think she should go somewhere with me Ill tell her and she is ok with it. For instance I just went to China and did not take my wife. She is ok with that and if she went she wouldnt have liked it a whole lot however she would not have made my life miserable as so many women do. lol

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
We really like to rough it, listen to music on 6 by 9 speakers, watch a movie on a 15" screen, cook in a 700 watt microwave oven, but also keep a charcoal broiler. That roof AC is kind of noisy, doesn't bother me, can sleep through a nuclear explosion, but try to explain to my wife we are roughing it. But to please her, added an electric motor control to the fan, so it not quite so noisy.

She likes going in very clean restroom, ha, that's my job to keep it clean and dump the tank. We bring our own water with us, like 60 gallons worth. Made my own bike rake for it when we go to the Sparta bike trail, she wants me to figure out how to mount our kayak to it, this is kind of a brain twister, over ten feet tall, and with all those vents, the AC's up there, can't find a bare spot. Then trying to climb up that ladder carrying a kayak if I could find a spot.

Ha, if you really want to rough it, get a WW II surplus pup tent with two shell halves. Ha, sleeping with a buddy and curling up tight so you wouldn't freeze your butts off. Think this would be more fun with a girl.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
When I go camping, I am more of a backpacker I like to carry everything I need it helps make you feel more at one with the wilderness. One of my favorite moments was hiking the whole high sierra trail and mounting mount whitney and taking a pic on the crapper at 14,505ft funny I did that a little over a year ago and now I probably couldn't hike a bunny slope. Hiking the giant forest and scaling the trail with a 7000 ft drop 2 inches to my side with a pack thats 70lbs and I am deathy afraid of heights. Well lock at me I am starting to sound like Nick. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I camped often as a youngn'......and, of course, in the Army with a shelter half as Nick mentioned.....but I prefer to camp on my terms...the military was for survival, not pleasure.

After I had been married about seven years and two sons, I decided a return to camping would be a parenting asset.
However, had to be careful with this....wifey is a city girl and although reasonably open minded about most things I was fairly certain that one night on the ground would kill the whole idea, so.....

One day I came home with a 24 foot tent trailer in tow.....I figured if her feet hit linoleum in the morning she'd warm to idea.
One of the few times I got it right......trepidation turned into she loved every minute......
So, the lesson for me was, linoleum and her own little porta-potty.....oh yeah, a 12 foot awning for rainy days so the kids could still play.

I can't imagine succeeding in getting a adult female to embrace tent camping.......if she had been raised as a child with that style in the past, fer sure....it'd likely work out......but a adult female newbe.....fugetaboutit boys......you're going to have a real lousy experience IMO......So is she.

Rob

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
When I go camping, I am more of a backpacker I like to carry everything I need it helps make you feel more at one with the wilderness. One of my favorite moments was hiking the whole high sierra trail and mounting mount whitney and taking a pic on the crapper at 14,505ft funny I did that a little over a year ago and now I probably couldn't hike a bunny slope. Hiking the giant forest and scaling the trail with a 7000 ft drop 2 inches to my side with a pack thats 70lbs and I am deathy afraid of heights. Well lock at me I am starting to sound like Nick. :)
Not to mention you can legitimately get away from your cell phone when you backpack. I much prefer backpacking to car camping - it's actually a lot easier.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We will be camping in about a month. Nothing like spending money to live like the homeless, as one of my coworkers puts it.

For me is about experiences and memories. Even though I have a lot of cash spent and we haven't even started the trip (hitch, euro mount, utility trailer, curt light harness, spare tire) My little one is so excited that she can't contain herself. I am also excited because it will get me away from the everyday life we have been doing for a couple of years. 9 day multi state camping will be much needed.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Trailer Life voted a 1976 Olds as the best towing vehicle for a camping trailer, if you want to tow anything today, think about a GMC 3500. State parks used to charge a buck per night, try more like 35-40 bucks a night today, then gas prices skyrocketed to $4.50 per gallon. Expect to pay around 15 bucks just to drive into a state park.

I don't get our local RV dealers, still receiving shipments of camping trailers when they already have hundreds parked all over the place. How about laying out $350,000 for a motorhome? Back packing may be okay if its just you, but what about taking kids along?

Wildness is a fine break but also have to put up with insect bites, ha, billions of mosquitoes up here. And the way they design trailers and motorhomes is stupid, millions of ways those insects can get in. Have a major job of adding screening all over the place.

Use to take my younger brothers tent camping, at least we had enough common sense to put up our tent on high ground. With a severe thunder storm, others were in a 12" puddle of water, not fun. Of course, being jammed up in a small tent for hours wasn't fun either.

When tourist trade dropped with the high price of gas, cheaper to stay in a motel, least you don't have to make the bed when you leave.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Not to mention you can legitimately get away from your cell phone when you backpack. I much prefer backpacking to car camping - it's actually a lot easier.
Out there, there is no such thing as reception in pretty much the whole sequoia park. I got seperated from my friends because I wanted to go off the trail and they were not they said we would meet so I had to hike in the dark ... with a headlamp by myself while running in to bears earlier in the day and seeing a cougar. I pretty much crapped myself for and hour and a half as I hiked back up a 3400ft valley for 1.5 miles in the dark after and rigorous 18 mile hike. I was super pissed but very excited. I collapsed when I saw them. Took my pack off cooled down for 10 min got up tooks some pine needles off the tree put them in my canteen with some water sat it on the fire. I really enjoyed some spruce tea that night with some company. Also a great story now that I have. I didnt explain in full detail just because its kinda long.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, very watch that crazy program, Naked and Afraid on Discovery? Tried to, walking naked through swamps loaded with snakes, alligators, and insects, naked?

Never had the urge to go backpacking naked, what about you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts