Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have had my cruze for almost a year now decided I want to start modding now a little. Just curious if any one knows what are the power limits of the engine and transmission? Also I have heard people change valve bodies in the automatics to safety get more power, is this also the case with the cruze? Sorry if this has been discussed before I couldn't find any info by doing a search ( tried a few different wording too.) Also I am new to Chevy's. First plan is to buy a tuner and tune from trifecta to get better shift times out of the trans.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...do I detect an automotive Dr. Frankenstein here, inquiring about upgraded "parts" for his soon to be revived 'breathing' creation?

...anyway, by the GM-Powertrain numbers:

ENGINE: 1.4LT engine has 138 hp @ 4800 rpm; 148 lb·ft torque @ 1850 rpm(A6) or 2500 rpm(M6)

TRANS: MH8(6T40) has 180 hp(max); 177 lb·ft torque(max); 4,400 lb. vehicle weight(max)
TRANS: MH7(6T45) has 215 hp(max); 232 lb·ft torque(max); 4,850 lb. vehicle weight(max)

·
Registered
178 Posts
To put those numbers out they have to be able to withstand 180 and 4400 lbs at the same time. Given the car weighs much less than that, the trans can hold much more than that at normal weight. How much however, remains to be tested....

The 6Lx0E transmissions are very strong. I would hope that GM didn't build them weak in the lawn mower category....

·
Registered
85 Posts
So in my trifecta tuned Cruze, I have the MH8 6-speed auto tranny...how bad am i hurting the tranny since the max is 177lbs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well all I really want out of the car is 200 bhp and really good handling ( I am more of a handling kind of guy than power so whatever power I can get out of it is cool with me). Don't really plan on doing anything crazy like swapping turbo unless a few people do some tests on their car or something it all comes out good with minimum problems which probably wont ever happen lol. But yea was just curious if the trans can hold up to 210 bhp atleast.

·
Administrator
15,849 Posts
Well all I really want out of the car is 200 bhp and really good handling ( I am more of a handling kind of guy than power so whatever power I can get out of it is cool with me). Don't really plan on doing anything crazy like swapping turbo unless a few people do some tests on their car or something it all comes out good with minimum problems which probably wont ever happen lol. But yea was just curious if the trans can hold up to 210 bhp atleast.
I don't see it being a problem. The turbo lag will allow you to ease into the powerband, making it easy on the transmission.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
See my signature and that is just around 200whp with quite a bit more coming soon. I expect to see 310-315 hp at the engine. I am also dynoing so I have a better idea of what it’s making.

You do know that the automatics that comes in these cars are a huge power stealing transmission. Where Im making around 240 to the engine ZZP told me that the automatic has a very high power loss to it. Making my numbers down around 190hp. Which is still fun to drive but far less loss from the manual transmission.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,315 Posts
See my signature and that is just around 200whp with quite a bit more coming soon. I expect to see 310-315 hp at the engine. I am also dynoing so I have a better idea of what it’s making.

You do know that the automatics that comes in these cars are a huge power stealing transmission. Where Im making around 240 to the engine ZZP told me that the automatic has a very high power loss to it. Making my numbers down around 190hp. Which is still fun to drive but far less loss from the manual transmission.
He has not been online here since 2012, so you might be waiting for awhile. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.