Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the state, and I have noticed that over a year my engine compartment is more dirty than my previous vehicles ever became in Michigan. Should I be following a more strict regiment of changing the air filter/ is there added benefit to the drop in high performance filter?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ugh just change the filter once its dirty. Their isn't really a set time or mileage even though the manual says so. Just hold it up to the light and see if its dirty.

I'm sure the high performance filters can filter better by a few particles per million versus the stock filter. Its nothing you're going to notice over the life of the vehicle. I upgraded mine because I wanted more turbo noise and performance.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You should definitely be changing them out more often. Especially since we have had like three dust storms in the past week. You may want to look into a washable filter, so a drop in K&N may be worth it. They still filter enough but will allow you to clean them. Although I doubt you would save much money going this route over just buying regular OEM filters more often. Basically if you want to go with a drop in it won't hurt the car, but you won't be saving much money, alternately just be a bit more proactive about changing out the filters.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
You may want to look into a washable filter, so a drop in K&N may be worth it. They still filter enough but will allow you to clean them.
Keep in mind you'll want to have a stock filter on hand because the K&N needs time to air dry after washing. If you wash, oil and throw back in you're going to cause a CEL.

If you go with an aftermarket intake make sure you buy the "water repellant shield" It's a good addition to prevent the filter from getting overly dusty.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Have you actually inspected your air filter? I bought an air filter and cabin air filter for $10 a piece from rock auto to change last fall at around 35,000 miles. Once I had the air filter out it was not very dirty at all, looked as though I could easily go 50,000+ miles on it. I still replaced since I already had it out, but if I had known I would not have wasted my time/money.

Check out the maintenance schedule in the back of the 2014 owner manual, normal is on page 11-5, severe on 11-7. Both list the engine air filter replacement at 45,000 miles.

The reason you can go so long with this car the filter is VERY oversized for an engine this small. This filter is more than twice the size of the one on my 3800 V6.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you actually inspected your air filter? I bought an air filter and cabin air filter for $10 a piece from rock auto to change last fall at around 35,000 miles. Once I had the air filter out it was not very dirty at all, looked as though I could easily go 50,000+ miles on it. I still replaced since I already had it out, but if I had known I would not have wasted my time/money.

Check out the maintenance schedule in the back of the 2014 owner manual, normal is on page 11-5, severe on 11-7. Both list the engine air filter replacement at 45,000 miles.

The reason you can go so long with this car the filter is VERY oversized for an engine this small. This filter is more than twice the size of the one on my 3800 V6.
Agreed. Just look at the filter and see if its dirty at each oil change.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't use a K&N or any oiled gauze filter, in a dirty/dusty environment. They filter like $hit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Either way a K&N will filter anything that would cause damage to the engine. It isn't like the air going into the system has to be sterile.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would. I think oiled filters do a better job.
Better job than the stock filter? Really? What lead you to this conclusion? A K&N's filtration is about the worst there is.

Either way a K&N will filter anything that would cause damage to the engine. It isn't like the air going into the system has to be sterile.
Tell that to the diesel truck guys, who have worn turbo compressor wheels, from all the dirt an oiled gauze filter has let in. Ford/Navistar specifically said they will NOT cover turbo damage, if they find an oiled guaze filter on the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Better job than the stock filter? Really? What lead you to this conclusion? A K&N's filtration is about the worst there is.

Tell that to the diesel truck guys, who have worn turbo compressor wheels, from all the dirt an oiled gauze filter has let in. Ford/Navistar specifically said they will NOT cover turbo damage, if they find an oiled guaze filter on the truck.
Geewhiz that's a diesel, not sure if that is why but just saying. Also, much like GM engineers... K&N engineers also know what they're doing. NOW, does that mean K&N is better than other filters on the market... no, but having used K&N in all my vehicles and never having an issue I see no reason not to use them. In my opinion the reason the oil causes issues is because the owners are not properly oiling their filters. Unlike other arguments there is not enough evidence to suggest a K&N is not a viable filter. Yes there are micron tests that prove the stock does a better job but as Ajn stated I have no reason to believe the difference between the two will cause significant harm. I'm not partial anymore to K&N but I am running their oiled filter for an SRI and will continue to do so. I'll be the guinea pig.

To me, all the tests out there are doing is proving one does a better job than the other. I'd equate this debate to plastic vs glass cups. Both hold water but plastic is less likely to shatter. Now if you wanted to say the generic off brand filters that come with cheap intakes are a safe bet... I would agree with you on that one! They are terrible in design and capability. Long story short, unless you keep the stock filter, any aftermarket filter is going to pale in comparison but for intents and purposes it doesn't change the fact that they are capable of accomplishing the filtering task effectively.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes the GREAT FILTER DEBATE. I know it. I also know there is no actual evidence and it is all hearsay. I can think of a few reasons why Ford would put out that statement. Either way if there was any evidence of this "premature wear" of the turbo, K&N would have enough lawsuits on their hand to fix the "problem". None of which has happened for a reason.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Yes the GREAT FILTER DEBATE. I know it. I also know there is no actual evidence and it is all hearsay. I can think of a few reasons why Ford would put out that statement. Either way if there was any evidence of this "premature wear" of the turbo, K&N would have enough lawsuits on their hand to fix the "problem". None of which has happened for a reason.
There is evidence but with oiled filters there are other factors aside from design that causes these issues.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is evidence but with oiled filters there are other factors aside from design that causes these issues.
Any K&N filter will filter beyond minimum requirements for OEM. Most are either user created problems due to incorrect installation or lack of maintenance, or poorly designed filtration housings for the filter and you will have issues with any filter.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have used K&N for years and no problems.My cruze has there panel filter.And yes problems with K&N filters are self induced by incorrect cleaning and oiling.They have to be allowed to dry completely after washing.And they need to be oiled very lightly.The advantage i see with my tuned cruze is just slightly more intake noise.It really complements the tune and gives a aggressive sound.Other than that it may or may not be adding a few pony's with the engine tuning.As stated the factory air cleaner is some what over sized for the engine.Someone did air flow testing on the sonic forum on a sonic stock intake and CFM flow indicated it would flow up to 250 hp.Now if thats the case the cruze stock intake is even larger

·
Registered
96 Posts
As for comparing GM and K&N engineers...GM doesn't and wouldn't use K&N, when designing air filtration systems...they use places such as Donaldson. They designed the filtration for the later model Duramax and the current ZR1, for example. Take a look at those filters. They're the real deal.

Hearsay? When I've seen actual issues firsthand, it isn't hearsay. When I wipe my hand on the intake duct on my own vehicle, and can see fine dirt, it isn't hearsay. It is a scientific fact, that oiled gauze filters do NOT filter as well as OEM paper types. The only thing up for debate is whether or not the extra dirt that gets into the motor will cause significant damage or not.

And not all issues with oiled gauze filters are "user induced". I've been using them on and off for years. I know how to wash them, dry them, oil them, and make sure they're sealed. It's hardly rocket science. The one I currently have on my Corvette was pulled from the package, and bolted on, so it is "as oiled" by K&N. Trust me, it lets dirt through. The ONLY reason why I continue to run it is because the stock intake and filter is a huge restriction to a 700hp motor.

Any of you guys ever done a UOA with the stock air filter, then switch to an oiled gauze, and do another? I along with friends of mine have, and there has always been an increase in silicon in the analyses. Coincidence?

I'm not here to bash K&N filters. Like I said above, I have and do use them. But ONLY when it is absolutely necessary.

If you want to see how various filters stack up in a scientific test, look here. There was no agenda. They just wanted facts. In this test, the K&N passed 17x more dirt than the stock filter, in 1/3 of the time, but it did flow more air when it was new. ISO 5011 Duramax Air Filter Test Report

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What i can say is no dirt shows in my intake piping after 10K miles with the K&N in the Cruze.As being wiped out with a white paper towel.Just came in from inspecting it completely.Maybe it would be different in a different area of the country? That i cant say ! But i am good to go in mass i know that ! I dont take my 1.4T engines condition for granted is all i can say.And my judgment call as we say in the business (No Problem found)

Reactions: iTz SADISTIK

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
The only thing up for debate is whether or not the extra dirt that gets into the motor will cause significant damage or not.
This right here is the only thing I'm referring to. I specifically stated that K&N doesn't necessarily filter any better. But, if your engine will go 200K miles on either one then what is there to debate? If there is no change in engine power/performance, there is no debate either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts