Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Saturday (July 26th) I'll be participating in my first ever autocross event. I'm excited to be able to push the Cruze and be amongst some awesome track cars.

Thing is, I have never done this before and while they're giving novices a personal look at the track to see just how to come into corners and whatnot, what can past or current Cruze autocrossers tell me about the behavior of the car/driving dynamics when it comes to autocross?

I have a 1.8L with no performance upgrades other than a Trifecta tune. I'll be taking my stock tires to the track since I just bought new wheels and tires and I'm not burning that rubber any faster than it needs to.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Sarcastically - Don't crash

My biggest pet peeve with any racing is: DON'T HESITATE. If you need to make a pass or another decision then do it. It's when you second guess yourself that issues arise because of your latency to react. Is this for lap time or is this a versus match where everyone is on the track at the same time? Also, drink plenty of water the week leading up to the race as you won't want your windows down or the A/C on. If you try to hydrate day of it won't work. Autocross or racing in general is physically demanding.

·
10,711 Posts
Take all loose items out of car and try to find a tech inspection list for the event you are going to. See if they have helmets for you to use. Try to not go 50 MPH if you find a straight away. Traction control off but remember you can plow into a light pole now that it's off. Start off slow till you understand what the track layout and what the tipped over cones mean. YouTube videos of it and take notes on what not to do.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
All the above is good advice, but they missed one item - have fun.

·
10,711 Posts
If I ever autocross the ECO, I would swap tires out. The eco tires will spin 2nd with the tune in a straight line. I kinda remember out driving my Michelin Pilots and almost eating a telephone pole on a tarmac/loose rock(AKA ****** beat to **** ran down) parking lot in Ft Washington, Maryland.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You will be given a chance to walk the track first. Look for cracks, patches, areas that might upset your grip and at the same time develop your line. Sometimes entering a corner late or early can maximize your exit speed which will will maximize your staightaway speed and reduce your time. You will only need 2nd gear most likely. I've never autocrossed my ECO but I can tell you the tail can be quite lively.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the tips everyone! Helmets are included and they will be walking all the novices on the track so I will definitely take a look for all those road hazards. They only let two on the track at any time and they make sure you're PLENTY far away from any other driver. As for the track, they uploaded a course map which can be found here. I've been studying it profusely but some off the triangles still confuse me.

As for the other participants, I'm the in the lowest class so I won't be against any real power. That can also be found here if anyone is interested :)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Have fun
brakes
tires
suspension

main thing have fun and learn from the others. When I was doing solo2 I learned a lot and power is not needed

Reactions: SportBilly

·
Registered
73 Posts
take it slow till you get the feel of the track dont let bad times get to you ever and get there early. i never did autocross but i did do rallycross in the scca very similar idea just on dirt. i want to start doing autocross myself eventually. good luck and HAVE FUN which is the most important thing you can do.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
My advice, is borrow some go pros. Won't help you at all in your racing bit will help with entertaining us.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My advice, is borrow some go pros. Won't help you at all in your racing bit will help with entertaining us.
I'm attaching my cell to a mount inside the car. No go pro necessary ;)!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tomorrow is the day! So excited! I'll be swapping my tires after work and I'll be waking up super early to head over there. I already have my phone mount in the car and ready to go! Hopefully I'll get some decent pics and video for you guys :)

Reactions: obermd
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.