Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More confusion, my girls want me to take them up there. That National Lakeside Park says do not use kayaks on Lake Superior, too dangerous, stick to the small lakes. I can believe this with Lake Michigan, had no problems with my fully covered deep haul Thomson during a flash thunderstorm not reported by the weather people. Was fun as a matter of fact, but in a kayak?

No way can you paddle these things fast enough and end up in the middle of the lake.

But then I see they have kayak rental places with photos of kayaks paddling on a glass smooth lake. But looking at rental chargers, practically cheaper to buy one than to rent them. Have access to a 250 pound trailer with a class 3 trailer hitch on my motor home that I can tie my kayaks to. With about an 80 pound load on it, would have no problems detaching the trailer and hand pushing it. Sure wouldn't want to attempt to back up with a trailer I can't even see. Can buy a marine radio for 38 bucks, prices of these things sure came down.

Wife says buy an inflatable, ha, how many times would we use this? But do have a small electric compressor to blow it up with 120VAC power from the generator in the motorhome.

So here we go again in trying to plan for a short vacation, LOL. And always hearing on the news about somebody drowning, because of lack of planning or not knowing the waters.

Another option I have is to mount a trailer hitch on my front bumper and bring our power boat. Have to switch things around for loading and launching. Decisions.

Ha, we did bring our own bikes up to Mackinac Island, for this had to make my own bike rack that we only used a couple of times to fit on the rear of our motorhome. Charging something like 20 bucks an hour to rent a bike you couldn't even give away.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Surprised they recommend against kayaking, guess this is to keep the novices at home. This is such a beautiful area it begs to be explored on the water. Know many people go kayaking in Wisconsin's Apostle Islands(also in Lake Superior for those of you who don't know). Found this website below, looks like the pictured rocks are also popular for kayaking. Michigan Kayak and Canoe - Pictured Rocks, Isle Royale, Apostle Islands

The few times I ventured into Lake superior for a swim, I tested the water temperature.... it was 37-39F both times in the middle of July. The first time I was 15 years old, decided to walk the half mile out a break water and swim out the 50ft to the lighthouse and climb up it to jump off. I Almost made the smart choice & chickened out since I was alone, but jumped into the icy water before my brain could kick in.

Made it to the Keweenaw Waterway Upper Entrance Lighthouse and climbed up, then jumped off timed with the 4ft swells. When I hit that ice water from the 25ft+ drop, one of my legs almost instantly cramped up and It was a bit of a struggle to make it the 50ft back to the breakwater. That Ice water owned my seemingly indestructible 15year old body, learned real quick how mother nature don't mess around. That and it isn't that much fun to go swimming in Ice water.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, in my younger days, actually water skied 40 mile in Lake Michigan because I didn't want to jump in that icy cold water. Lake Superior is even colder. Use to hit the beach in Duluth, packed with people sun bathing, but not a soul in the water.

Told my girls, Apostle Islands are a heck of a lost closer and prettier than those Rocks, even a lot more popular, but can't argue with women, if further away, has to be better, right? But in checking for reservations for trailer camps in late August, already full, so they won this round. Besides I only get 1% of the vote. Plenty of openings in the Rocks.

Did figure a way to tie our kayak to the motorhome, would on be sticking out about two feet from the rear. Also found my spare trailer hitch for out powered boat. Or even taking a three hour cruise for 37 bucks in a boat made for Lake Superior. Just tossing these out and prepared to say, yes sir, LOL.

We were at the beach last Saturday, takes me awhile to get used to the water, about ten minutes. Wife tease me about this, kind of a skinny guy with very little body fat. And told her, you indubitably did not marry a Navy Seal. Water temperature was around 60*F, but after in, we swam for about two hours. But the air was cold getting out, can figure this out.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Superior seldom sees temps above mid 50"s and that's only along the shoreline. When I lived in the U.P. I was about 20 miles south of Superior and 20 miles west of lake Michigan and couldn't swim in either. You could go in lake Michigan but only near the hot ponds in Marquette where the power company dumped their cooling water back into the lake. Fortunately though, I lived 20 yards from "Little Lake" so all was good!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I hiked along Pictured Rocks a few years back and it was awesome. Where we chose to go to the water was probably down a 100 meter sand dune which was a lot of work to climb back up - and we lost a camera from a pocket in the process.

I think I remember kayaks on the water, but if there are warnings against it I would advise to heed them; they probably exist for a reason.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are heavy as crap!
Have to inform my wife and daughter in this, have to successfully complete that Navy Seal training course first. Ha, neither can open a new jar lid first, I have to do this for them, least I am good for something.

Can only find one pro on an inflatable, can pack it in a bag and carry it. All the rest are cons, have to be inflated, deflated. cleaned before packing, and worst of all more difficult to paddle than a hard boat and bend whenever you do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts