Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on the timing belt service and was thinking about doing it myself. Did the one on my 04 TL which was not to bad, not allot of room to work on that side of the engine but got it done. I see the D needs a few special tools, and the kit looks like its a few $$, anybody have any luck with any of the less expensive tools. I may just bite the bullet and buy the kit if I'll end up saving some money my local dealership said 800.00 Parts and labor for the whole job, I have not priced out parts yet though. If you did the job how long did it take you looks like all data says just south of 4 hours?

·
Registered
253 Posts
$800 for the whole job is not bad. My dealer quoted me $1,370.00. I will be doing it myself. Have 40,000 more miles to go. Between now and then someone will have a YouTube video on how to do it.....

I think the trick is getting #1 on TDC, and locking the cams. Once cams are locked and #1 on TDC, I think it is mainly an exercise of knuckle busting and lots of swearing. Block the engine, pull the front motor mount, remove covers etc, and put everything back with the correct torque settings. I'll get a subscription to Alldata when I try it. They are usually pretty helpful.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an all data subscription. Its a great DIY helper and not to costly. Coming from an Aviation background I like knowing torque specs :) when I fix things. It looks like it may have more room than the TL I did, I just can't find the tools at a reasonable rate.

RS

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I researched this when considering the diesel in 2013/2014. I've read the Alldata procedure, and it doesn't look that bad. How tight is it in the engine bay is another question.

Google the EN tool numbers found in Alldata. You'll find global suppliers of the tools. There's a plug that's removed in the block, and a steel pin that's installed when the crank is at TDC.

I had a link to a GM training video showing this belt change, but the channel has been removed. There's a company in Italy if I remember correctly that makes equivalent tools which can be obtained from Amazon.uk or other European Amazon sites.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The 1.4 has a chain as far as I know. Are you talking about 1.8 or the serpentine belt?
This is in the 1st Generation Diesel section - this is for the 2.0TD.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 1.4 has a chain as far as I know. Are you talking about 1.8 or the serpentine belt?
Cruise-Cruze your in the Diesel forum.

Well after a closer look that 800.00 did not include the water pump. WTF So its now 1K. I'm just going to order the tools someplace and do it myself. Still should save about 500.00 or more I'm guessing. My TL only gave me about 2" to work and get the belt all lined up. This looks like there should be a good 4 or 5 inches to work with. I have 5000 miles to procure parts and tools.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I've been back and forth on if I want to do this myself or not.

I generally do all work myself, but I suppose it depends on the timing, how busy I am, and what not. We're pretty far away from it (under 60k miles currently, I believe), so I don't need to worry about making a decision just yet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just did on my 2014. It was a bit tricky. I bought a tool of of eBay, it was just a copy of the GM tool, quality was not to good, had to drill out the holes a bit but, it worked ok.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Make sure you get the tools to lock the camshaft and crankshaft in place. This is critical. The eBay kit will do the trick for $60. Once you have those 2 pieces locked in place, the rest is fairly straight forward. If you have ever done a TDI timing belt, then the process is exactly the same. I would HIGHLY recommend doing the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and water pump at the same time. I bought my kit from IDParts.com. It is a complete kit with Gates parts. Very pleased so far.

Cruze Diesel Timing Belt Kit - 55580776 - 55580776 - IDParts.com

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I had found the crank and cam tools on ebay for 30.00 from what I had read these are correct. I was able to get everything from Rockauto, Almost all Delco stuff, Figured while it was apart I would replace the belt tensioner and idler pulley. With the cruze forum discount it was just shy of 375 shipped.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here some info on timing belt replacement. I hope it is helpful.

[h=3]2014 Chevrolet Cruze 2.0L Eng Diesel[/h]

Service Manual: TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT - 2.0L (LUZ) DIESEL

Print Date: 6/2/2017

[h=1]MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE[/h] The manufacturer requires the belt be replace every 97,500 miles or 120 months. If being done at a regular service interval, the belt tensioner, idler pulley and water pump should also be replaced.

[h=1]SPECIAL TOOLS[/h]
  • EN-956-1: Extension
  • EN-46788: Crankshaft Fixing Tool
  • EN-46789: Camshaft Locking Tool
  • EN-47634: Camshaft Sprocket Holding Tool
  • J-43405: Engine Support Fixture Adapter
  • J-28467-518: Main Support Beam
  • J-28467-1A: Cross Bracket
  • J-28467-5A: Strut Tower Support Assembly
  • J-28467-2A: Radiator Tube Shelf Assembly
  • J-36857: Engine Lift Bracket
  • J-28467-8A: Hook Assembly

[h=1]REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION > REMOVAL[/h]
  • NOTE: If the engine timing belt is being replaced according to the maintenance schedule the timing belt tensioner, idler pulley and water pump must be replaced.

• Protect the fender with covers.
  • Remove the battery cover and disconnect the battery negative cable.
  • Remove the engine sight shield. Release the engine sight shield retainers by pulling the engine sight shield upwards.
  • Remove the front wheelhouse liner.
  • Remove the generator, air conditioning compressor and power steering pump belt (drive belt).
    • Install the EN-913-A wrench to the tensioner bolt (3). See Fig 1.
    • Rotate the drive belt tensioner clockwise, using the EN-913-A wrench in order to release the tension from the drive belt and to insert the EN-6130 holding pin (2). See Fig 1.
    • Remove the EN-913-A wrench.
    • Remove the generator, air conditioning compressor and power steering pump belt. See Figure.
    Fig 1: Releasing Tension From Drive Belt
    Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS COMPANY
  • Remove the crankshaft pulley (2). See Fig 2.
    • Install a wrench on crankshaft sprocket (center) bolt in order to hold the crankshaft. NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket bolt must not be loosened.
    • Remove the 4 crankshaft pulley bolts (1). See Fig 2.
    • Remove the crankshaft pulley.
    Fig 2: Identifying Crankshaft Pulley
  • Remove the belt idler pulley (engine mount side). See Fig 3.Fig 3: Identifying Belt Idler Pulley
  • Remove the timing belt front cover. See Fig 4.Fig 4: Identifying Timing Belt Front Cover
  • Install the engine support fixture: See Fig 5.
    • Install the bracket to fender frame (1). NOTE: Do not install bracket to fender frame on top of fender lip.
    • Adjust the length of the strut tower support assembly (4).
    • Use a grade 10.9 bolt to install the engine lift bracket hook assembly (6). NOTE: If the engine is not equipped with engine lift bracket, install the J-36857 engine support fixture in place.
    Fig 5: Installing Engine Support Fixture
    Legend for Fig 5
    • Engine Support Fixture Adapter Leg (Qty: 2)
    • Main Support Beam
    • Cross Bracket
    • Strut Tower Support Assembly
    • Radiator Tube Shelf Assembly
    • Hook Assembly
  • Remove the engine mount. See Fig 6.Fig 6: Identifying Engine Mount
    Legend for Fig 6
    • Engine Mount Bracket Bolt M8 (Qty: 3)
    • Engine Mount Bracket Bolt M10 (Qty: 3)
    • Engine Mount Bracket
  • Remove the engine mount bracket. See Fig 7.
    • Raise and support the vehicle.
    • Remove the 2 lower bolts (1). NOTE: Note the different length of bolt.
    • Attach the engine lifter to the engine lift brackets.
    Fig 7: Identifying Engine Mount Bracket
    Legend for Fig 7
    • Engine Mount Bracket Bolt M8 (Qty: 3)
    • Engine Mount Bracket Bolt M10 (Qty: 3)
    • Engine Mount Bracket
  • Lower the vehicle. NOTE: Avoid the contact with cooling fluid and oil, it will damage the timing belt and can not be reused.

Fig 8: Installing Locking Tool (EN-46789)
  • Set the cylinder 1 to TDC:
    • Remove the camshaft housing closure bolt.
    • Install the EN-46789 locking tool (1) in the camshaft housing. See Fig 8.
    • Turn the engine clockwise until the EN-46789 locking tool (1) audibly engages.
  • Remove the oil pump bolt (1). See Fig 9.Fig 9: Identifying Oil Pump Bolt
  • Install the fixing tool stud (1) of the EN-46788 fixing tool. See Fig 10.Fig 10: Identifying Fixing Tool Stud
  • Lock the crankshaft, using the EN-46788 fixing tool (1). See Fig 11.Fig 11: Identifying Fixing Tool (EN-46788) & Extension (EN-956-1)
  • Loosen the camshaft sprocket (1). See Fig 12.Fig 12: Identifying Camshaft Sprocket Holding Tool (EN-47634)
  • Loosen the camshaft sprocket bolt, by using the EN-47634 holding tool (2) with the EN-956-1 extension (3). See Fig 12.
  • Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt (2) to release the tension from the timing belt. See Fig 13.
  • Remove the EN-46788 fixing tool.
  • Remove the timing belt (1). See Fig 13. NOTE: Observe the direction of timing belt rotation.

Fig 13: Timing Belt Tensioner Bolt

[h=1]REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION > INSTALLATION[/h]
  • Install the NEW timing belt to the crankshaft sprocket.
  • Lock the crankshaft, using the EN-46788 fixing tool (1). See Figure. NOTE: Make sure that the timing belt does not fall out of the sprocket while installing the EN-46788 fixing tool.

• Install the timing belt in the following sequence: (See Fig 1)
    • Start with the crankshaft sprocket (4).
    • Second the timing belt tensioner (5).
    • Third the water pump (6).
    • Fourth the high pressure pump sprocket (1).
    • Fifth the camshaft sprocket (2).
    • The last one is the belt idler pulley (3).
    NOTE: The marks on the timing belt must fit to the marks on the sprockets, see arrows in Fig 1.

NOTE: The timing belt tensioner must be loose.

Fig 1: Timing Belt Routing
  • Bring the tensioner (1) in correct tension. See Fig 2.
    • Loosen the tensioner bolt.
    • Bring the mobile index to the reference position (bore), see at arrows in Fig 2.
    • Tighten the tensioner bolt to 25 (18 lb ft).
    Fig 2: Adjusting Tensioner
  • Fasten the camshaft sprocket bolt. See Figure.
    • Install the EN-47634 holding tool (2) to the camshaft sprocket (1).
    • Hold up with the EN-956-1 extension (3) and tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt to 120 (89 lb ft).
  • Remove the EN-47634 holding tool (2) and the EN-956-1 extension (3). See Figure.
  • Remove the EN-46788 fixing tool and the EN-46789 locking tool. See Figure.
  • Rotate the engine 720 degrees. CAUTION: It is absolute necessary that the engine is turned clockwise ONLY.
  • Check the engine timing.
    • Install the EN-46789 locking tool. See Figure.
    • Install the EN-46788 fixing tool. See Figure.
  • Remove the EN-46789 locking tool and the EN-46788 fixing tool.
  • Install the oil pump bolt (1) and tighten to 9 (80 lb in). See Figure.
  • Install the engine mount bracket. See Figure.
    • Raise and support the vehicle.
    • Install the bracket bolts. NOTE: Note the different length of bolt.
    • Attach the engine lifter to the engine lift brackets.
  • Install the engine mount. See Figure.
  • Remove the engine support fixture. See Figure.
  • Install the timing belt front cover. See Figure.
  • Clip the wiring harness to the timing belt front cover.
  • Install the air cleaner assembly.
  • Install the belt idler pulley (engine mount side). See Figure.
  • Install the crankshaft pulley. See Figure. NOTE: Install a wrench on crankshaft sprocket bolt in order to hold the crankshaft.
    NOTE: Make sure the guide pin is in its recess (see arrows).
  • Install the generator, air conditioning compressor and power steering pump drive belt.
    • Install and position the generator, air conditioning compressor and power steering pump drive belt (1) around all of the pulleys. See Fig 3.
    • Install the EN-913-A wrench to the drive belt tensioner bolt (3). See Figure.
    • Rotate the tensioner clockwise (see arrow in graphic). See Figure.
    • Remove the EN-6130 holding pin (2). See Figure.
    • Rotate the EN-913-A wrench counterclockwise to bring the tension to the drive belt.
    • Remove the EN-913-A wrench.
    Fig 3: Drive Belt Routing
  • Install the front wheelhouse liner.
  • Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Install the engine sight shield.
  • Connect the negative battery cable and install the battery cover.
  • Remove the covers from the fender.

[h=1]TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS[/h] TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS

ApplicationFt. Lbs.
Belt Idler Pulley Bolt18 (25)
Camshaft Sprocket Bolt89 (120)
Crankshaft Pulley Bolts18 (25)
Engine Mount Bolts & Nut46 (62)
Engine Mount Bolts To Engine Mount Bracket37 (50)

Engine Mount Bracket Bolts
8 mm18 (25)
10 mm37 (50)
Timing Belt Tensioner Bolt18 (25)
Wheel Lug Nuts100 (136)
Inch Lbs.
Wheelhouse Liner Bolts23 (2.5)
Oil Pump Bolt80 (9)
Timing Belt Front Cover Bolts80 (9)
[SUP](1)[/SUP] Then rotate another 60-70 degrees.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Based on the torque specs, I would say probably not (no additional angle).

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,017 Posts
I know some kits include 3 new engine mount bolts, but it doesn't seem like they're torque to yield, so not sure why.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
started mine this am, so far 2.5 hrs for:
spotting car
jack it up, remove wheel
airbox, timing cover
fender liner

i work slow and had to break out the extractor on one of the t15 fender screws, lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts