Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Anybody Do the timing belt themselves

19134 Views 36 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  electrozap_29
Coming up on the timing belt service and was thinking about doing it myself. Did the one on my 04 TL which was not to bad, not allot of room to work on that side of the engine but got it done. I see the D needs a few special tools, and the kit looks like its a few $$, anybody have any luck with any of the less expensive tools. I may just bite the bullet and buy the kit if I'll end up saving some money my local dealership said 800.00 Parts and labor for the whole job, I have not priced out parts yet though. If you did the job how long did it take you looks like all data says just south of 4 hours?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an all data subscription. Its a great DIY helper and not to costly. Coming from an Aviation background I like knowing torque specs :) when I fix things. It looks like it may have more room than the TL I did, I just can't find the tools at a reasonable rate.

RS

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 1.4 has a chain as far as I know. Are you talking about 1.8 or the serpentine belt?
Cruise-Cruze your in the Diesel forum.

Well after a closer look that 800.00 did not include the water pump. WTF So its now 1K. I'm just going to order the tools someplace and do it myself. Still should save about 500.00 or more I'm guessing. My TL only gave me about 2" to work and get the belt all lined up. This looks like there should be a good 4 or 5 inches to work with. I have 5000 miles to procure parts and tools.

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I had found the crank and cam tools on ebay for 30.00 from what I had read these are correct. I was able to get everything from Rockauto, Almost all Delco stuff, Figured while it was apart I would replace the belt tensioner and idler pulley. With the cruze forum discount it was just shy of 375 shipped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.