Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received an email from Chevrolet/OnStar: GET COMPLIMENTARY ONSTAR[SUP]®[/SUP] SERVICES* AS OUR WAY OF SAYING THANKS! My car is a 2012 I don't have OnStar and honestly not sure if it is useful for me. I guess I could activate as I have till Nov30 to do so as long as it has no "strings attached" like signing a contract. Or maybe they are just trying to introduce new OnStar services? I have seen commercials for a guy using his phone to lock his Buick...... or Maybe they are hoping I/people will be impressed with the service that I will sign up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I did this for the wife's Malibu the phone remote start is what she uses the most as she has to park out of range for the fob to work other than that with winter coming it makes me feel better to know she has automatic crash response. It is no strings attached is didn't even have to give a credit card, they did try for a permanent subscription with a card on file just keep saying no.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't know if it's related to this, but onstar works in my rebuilt salvage '13 Eco, and I've never paid for services. There are 30 minutes of phone time left, and turn by turn directions work.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Everyone else!

[FONT=&quot]OnStar is feeling generous. Or more likely, their marketing team is being clever. Either way, starting now, OnStar is offering three free years of OnStar basic services to those consumers who have cars equipped with OnStar, but don’t have the service activated.
[/FONT]
http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/onstar-offers-free-service-to-customers/

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got done signing up. Thought maybe I will give it a try and see how much I use. Never know may use it more than I know only bc I have it now. Actually navigation seems easier than using my phone so who knows and I can keep better track of my maintenance?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My State Farm agent was the first one to tell me about the 3 years of basic service. Once I activate OnStar, I can call my agent and activate a discount based on the fact I drive very few miles. OnStar allows them to verify that without having to plug a dongle in my OBDC.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I got that on my 14 about a year ago, they started doing "basic" plans on all vehicles, just don't know how far back they are going with it. When they say it's basic, it's really basic

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Weekly.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
My State Farm agent was the first one to tell me about the 3 years of basic service. Once I activate OnStar, I can call my agent and activate a discount based on the fact I drive very few miles. OnStar allows them to verify that without having to plug a dongle in my OBDC.
My Insurance company (Hartford/AARP) will not lower my rates by a dime for OnStar yet offer the lowest rates of any carrier by a few hundred dollars. I loved State Farm and the service I got from my local agent. Because of the limited free OnStar service I'm surprised you can qualify for any additional discounts?
"Without a paid OnStar plan, you will not have access to other OnStar services, such as Automatic Crash Response, Emergency Services, Crisis Assist, Roadside Assistance, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Turn-By-Turn Navigation, Hands-Free Calling, and OnStar Advisor support. You may purchase Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Hands-Free Calling, Family Link and 4G LTE data as add-ons to your existing plan for an additional fee".

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Because of the limited free OnStar service I'm surprised you can qualify for any additional discounts?
My understanding is that if I have OnStar and sign up with the program offered by State Farm, that allows them to read my odometer - and that opens up the possibility for more discounts. Lower miles = Lower risk = Lower rates.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Just to chime in, Onstar offered me the full plan for 1/2 off if I signed up for a year. I like having it and took them up on their offer. I think it's like $14.95 a month for everything including concierge and navigation.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My understanding is that if I have OnStar and sign up with the program offered by State Farm, that allows them to read my odometer - and that opens up the possibility for more discounts. Lower miles = Lower risk = Lower rates.
Be careful to keep your miles low or else they WILL jack up your insurance rate. My brother has his oil changed by the dealer and has low mileage State Farm rates. Well, State Farm got ahold of his actual mileage rates (slightly higher, because of unexpected trips) from the dealer and raised his insurance cost. He doesn't even have an OnStar subscription.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I just don't know as I too put very few miles on my CRUZE and had the policy rated on 5000 miles per year. When I upped it to 6000 miles I was asked for another $16. Since the free service offers virtually nothing aside from unlock, tire pressure and a couple other items, I would be interested in learning what your new discount could be? I do see a discount because of the CRUZE anti theft system

1 - 13 of 13 Posts