Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure did in Chicago with my Motorola Electrify, didn't even know I dropped it, grabbed something out of my pocket, fell out and in hit concrete and the people behind me said you dropped your phone. Back cover snapped off, battery was a few feet away, a hardly noticeable dent. Picked up the pieces, slapped it back together again, and worked fine.

So gave our old folding phones to my grandkids, not connected, but tossing these things all over the place, but hit the power button and still light up.

But not with my wife's 65GB iphone 6, it hit the pavement from about three feet, whatever that glass is on the face of it, all kinds of cracks in it, but otherwise intact. I called it with my phone, it rings, but she can't answer it, screen is black. This left my wife in a major state of depression, she said, I don't know why, our son's in-laws on vacation came back to their home completely burnt to the ground and lost everything. Its just a phone, and certainly not the first time. Daughter dropped hers, was able to buy a new screen for it for ten bucks and got it working again, not so with the Apple.

I called US Cellular last night, long time customers and paying an arm and leg to them each month. Best they could do was to charge us 500 bucks for new one. But suggested we call Apple and see what they can do. Haven't done this yet, dang thing shouldn't have cracked like this in the first place is my stupid opinion, and certainly not replaceable for ten bucks.

Getting myself to prepare to make this call, but wonder if anyone else here dropped an Apple phone and their experience. What the hail, only 500 bucks! And for something that is super fragile. Should weld a hook to it so can put a chain around it to hang around her neck. But be careful when bumping into a wall.

See a lot of Apple fans on this board.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
One of the reasons I don't buy Apple crap. They're rotten to the core. Great facade, but definitely not durable.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
it hit the pavement from about three feet, whatever that glass is on the face of it, all kinds of cracks in it, but otherwise intact. dang thing shouldn't have cracked like this in the first place And for something that is super fragile.
Ha, make up your mind....so a super fragile thing shouldnt break after falling 3' to pavement?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Military equipment I designed had to be dropped six feet to a concrete floor and still work. But my comparison was to much cheaper phones that don't break when dropped 3 feet, just bounce a little.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I sure did in Chicago with my Motorola Electrify, didn't even know I dropped it, grabbed something out of my pocket, fell out and in hit concrete and the people behind me said you dropped your phone. Back cover snapped off, battery was a few feet away, a hardly noticeable dent. Picked up the pieces, slapped it back together again, and worked fine.

So gave our old folding phones to my grandkids, not connected, but tossing these things all over the place, but hit the power button and still light up.

But not with my wife's 65GB iphone 6, it hit the pavement from about three feet, whatever that glass is on the face of it, all kinds of cracks in it, but otherwise intact. I called it with my phone, it rings, but she can't answer it, screen is black. This left my wife in a major state of depression, she said, I don't know why, our son's in-laws on vacation came back to their home completely burnt to the ground and lost everything. Its just a phone, and certainly not the first time. Daughter dropped hers, was able to buy a new screen for it for ten bucks and got it working again, not so with the Apple.

I called US Cellular last night, long time customers and paying an arm and leg to them each month. Best they could do was to charge us 500 bucks for new one. But suggested we call Apple and see what they can do. Haven't done this yet, dang thing shouldn't have cracked like this in the first place is my stupid opinion, and certainly not replaceable for ten bucks.

Getting myself to prepare to make this call, but wonder if anyone else here dropped an Apple phone and their experience. What the hail, only 500 bucks! And for something that is super fragile. Should weld a hook to it so can put a chain around it to hang around her neck. But be careful when bumping into a wall.

See a lot of Apple fans on this board.
this is why you should have bought an otterbox defender case for the phone, a cheap investment, and we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
Part of the reason Apple phones crack their screen so easily is a fundamental design flaw, one that Samsung is starting to do as well. Basically, the screen wraps around the edges of the phone so there is nothing there to protect the glass from a drop on the corner of the phone. As we all know from windshields, glass can take quite a beating as long as it's in the middle where there is some give. It's at the edges where a ding causes the problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you want mil-spec, find a phone meeting the spec. I looked up phones a few years back and was interested in the Casio G'zOne Commando, but it is probably obsolete now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_G'zOne_Commando.

My sister swears by tempered glass screen protectors. You need to take your time applying them (or go to the kiosk in the mall), but it adds a rigid layer of glass supporting the screen.

My final recommendation is to abandon a contract - the reason you are upset with the cost of a new phone is probably because you are not exposed to the cost the first time around. My provider Cricket is on the ATT network, so it is reliable, but they do not do contracts (you pay for your phone up front). They offer Iphones for crazy prices, but I ended up buying the MotoG 4G which would have been 125USD, although they had a special which made it closer to 25USD. I don't carry 500 dollars in cash in my pocket, so I refuse to carry 500 dollars of phone in my pocket either.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
I had a Casio Commando for nearly four years. It finally died in April. That phone could take a beating and keep working. I think the days of US cell phone carriers hiding the real cost of the handsets is coming to an end. Verizon's best deals right now are on their Edge plans, where the phone cost is added to the plan and for those of us who keep our phones more than two years we will see a drop in our phone bills once the phone is paid off.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Phones definitely aren't made to be dropped, these days. Although, I can understand and see why phones get dropped, I still don't get it. I've had every iPhone that's come out since 2007. With the exception of when they started coming out with 2 different phones a year. And I've never dropped my phone. It has basic protection just something to keep the bottom from getting scratched if I put it down on the table. They are fragile instruments, they aren't made to mil spec and I spent the last 20 years dealing with things that are mil spec and even they aren't all that great. Panasonics toughbook is junk. And that thing is supposed to me made to handle anything. Those use to get broken just getting tossed around the back of a bread van.

And you can't exactly make a phone mil spec when it's 6mm thick. It's just not going to happen. Old flip phones are twice as strong, because 1, they are 1/4 of the weight and the entire shell is made of plastic. Not sure why US Cellular is charging so much for a replacement phone. You can go right to the  store and get one replaced for $200-$250. They just exchange the phone right out. US Cellular, isn't one of the carriers that they stock. But they should be just replacing the screens on those. Accidents happen. When you buy something that fragile, you get  care. Allows you to fire a rocket launcher at the phone and still get it replaced for 3 years. But when you expect to have something that's over 50% glass, drop from any distance, you shouldn't expect it to stay in one piece. I've seen iPhones get dropped out of the number 2 engine on a KC-10 that's over 60' in the air. Phone still dialed, just the screen was cracked. And it bounced 3 times.

Call the  store and see what they can do for you. I know they stock verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, iPhones. The rest of the carriers have their own little iPhone monopoly (like $500 replacement iPhones, when apple themselves, only charge $250) going and I'd never have service with them.

So to say  just makes junk is a shotty statement. Anything that's the size of an iPhone and the weight of an iPhone that's made from half, glass, isn't going to do well getting dropped in any instance. If  just made junk, it wouldn't be nearly a trillion dollar company on the stock exchange.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
My nexus 7 has taken at least a dozen drops even onto hard surfaces and still works great with no cracks. No smart phone here but my flip phones all but throwing them at a wall they will keep on ticking.

My Garmin 60CSX has taken the most hits without damage or any electronic device I own. I bought it in 2005 an since then every year it gets dropped at least a few times. Worst was a 10ft+ drop onto its face against some jagged rocks, typical is bouncing off the pavement when I get out of the car. Battery cover finally broke last year, nothing a few rubber bands couldn't fix.

·
Administrator
25,096 Posts
I've dropped my iPhone 6 several times. Still looks brand new, I also keep a lightweight case on it, just to protect the corners.

Sent with iLove 6.0
The case is key. As I stated earlier, the corners of a smartphone with glass going around them are the single weakest point on the glass. Hitting the glass there will at a very minimum crack the glass and at worst shatter it. Touch capacitive screens don't handle broken glass well as the glass breaks interfere with the capacitive response of the screen

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, and I wish I left either 10 seconds earlier or later when I got on my motorcycle that day. Talking to my son, his in-laws wished they removed that old TV antenna they weren't using for years, attracted lightning and burnt their house to the ground.

I agree that unprotected glass at the edge is the problem, that must have hit the surface, not a scratch or anything on the case, still lights up, but with only half the pixels. And if we do replace it, will install it inside of a basket ball like case.

Wife already said no to paying 500 bucks, For the immediate use, getting her a Samsung Galaxy S4 for her to use for free. But still planning a battle with Apple.

If I had a crystal ball, would have invested heavily in Apple stock about nine years ago, why didn't anybody tell me this?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Ha, and I wish I left either 10 seconds earlier or later when I got on my motorcycle that day. Talking to my son, his in-laws wished they removed that old TV antenna they weren't using for years, attracted lightning and burnt their house to the ground.

I agree that unprotected glass at the edge is the problem, that must have hit the surface, not a scratch or anything on the case, still lights up, but with only half the pixels. And if we do replace it, will install it inside of a basket ball like case.

Wife already said no to paying 500 bucks, For the immediate use, getting her a Samsung Galaxy S4 for her to use for free. But still planning a battle with Apple.

If I had a crystal ball, would have invested heavily in Apple stock about nine years ago, why didn't anybody tell me this?
A friend's dad did. He invested in the 90's. He's now a millionaire who owns his whole end of the street so he can pick his neighbours because he didn't like the neighbours who used to live there

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice on that OtterBox Defender case, texted my daughter to buy one because she also has an iphone, said she will.

Nine years ago, looked like Apple was going to bite the dust, would have if I purchased stock, LOL.

Now my job is to get my wife's photos off her phone, something about an "I" cloud, all I know is "I" is Apple and "MY" is Microsoft. itunes is Greek to me, recognized all the words, but arranged in a strange manner.

We, well my wife, was warned not to buy the iphone 6 plus by our dealer, said even if you have it in your shirt pocket, screen will crack if you bent over. Never warned my wife about that glass edge. Ha, was not allowed to touch it until now. Her co-workers all have iphones, must be some kind of peer pressure making them more special than my wife.

Ha, if I were to buy an iphone, would anybody here think I am special? Would think I was stupid, buy the cheapest one that does the job, going to be history next year anyway because of built in obsolescent. If it doesn't fall apart first.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,561 Posts
I've dropped my iPhone 6 tons of times, even into a lake (didn't think it would survive that one). Get a decent case and a sacrificial screen protector (mines glass - dropped it once flat on the pavement and the screen protector cracked and the rest of the phone was fine).

Heck, I dropped my iPhone 4 a gazillion times - that one was glass on both sides. Still looked like new when I popped it out of the case after 4 years.

I've seen PLENTY of broken/cracked Android phones around too. The "durable" ones are plasticy hunks of crap to hold.

I'm not a fan of the Otterbox cases - they completely ruin how thin and light the phone is to hold in the first place. I purposely bought one of the thinnest cases I could find that has decent corner and shock protection.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
The case is key. As I stated earlier, the corners of a smartphone with glass going around them are the single weakest point on the glass. Hitting the glass there will at a very minimum crack the glass and at worst shatter it. Touch capacitive screens don't handle broken glass well as the glass breaks interfere with the capacitive response of the screen
Right, well they're not meant to be dropped even with a case on, but imo having a case on is just common sense. Before the 6 I had a 4s and all I used was a bumper (no back, no front protection, it's just a strip of rubber that goes around the outside corners) guy at the Apple Store couldn't believe how flawless my phone was... other people must really do a number on theirs or somehow manage to drop it in just the right spot. :/

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I don't understand the wanting $500 part... I don't know anything about US Cellular but do you not have insurance through them or Apple Care through the Apple Store?

Sent with iLove 6.0

1 - 20 of 87 Posts