Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this part sits on the firewall and drips water (onto the steering unit). Looks like it has a sponge material in it and I was just wondering what the heck it is. It is on the passenger's side of the engine bay on the firewall. I don't see it in any parts diagram but I assume it is part of the HVAC system.

·
Administrator
25,082 Posts
Windshield cowl drain. It may also drain off some of the condensation in the HVAC system.

·
Administrator
25,082 Posts
Probably keeps it from rattling while you drive. If you notice the flap isn't held in place by anything other than gravity.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
After owning the car for a few years and always parking outside, I found that little flap stuck wide open with old rotting tree leaves and small sticks. I now make sure to check every fall, but have not found anything like that mess again.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Part of the fresh air intake system, don't know why they call it fresh air when surrounded by a zillion other vehicles all with exhaust pipes. What we really need is a 20 foot high snorkel as pollutions are much heavier than air, but watch out for those underpasses.

Feel the Cruze is far more intelligent that other vehicles I have owned, the mesh for air intake is only on the drivers side and is a much finer mesh. Plus it does have a cabin filter. With some vehicles had to add chicken wire under that grille to keep out large leaves. Didn't call that blower thing a squirrel cage blower wheel, called it a leaf chopper instead, that would pile up on the intake of the evaporator blocking all "fresh air: intake.

But air is not the only thing that enters that cavity, so does rain water pouring down your windshield, so need means to drain out. A problem never really solved is ice and snow. Snow is not too bad, have to open the hood and hand brush that off or will get zero intake air, defrosters don't work very well without dry cold "fresh air". Ice build up is a major problem, only way to get rid of this is with the vehicle in a heated space.

Most used a hose in time past, perhaps dripping this crap on the electric power steering is not a good idea, especially when sprayed with road salt. Condenser really works well for collecting bugs, more problems never solved.

That underhood gasket in front of the air intake is all important preventing your own engine fumes and hot air from getting into the fresh air intake. But with just a slight brush of your hand, will fall over. I just put a drop of silicone glue about every six inches to help hold it in place. Still can remove it if I have to, but at least it shouldn't fall off.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
What you don't have an electron microscope? Already had to buy one to read the terms on my warranties and other such legal documents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts