Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ignition key refuses to properly fold back into the plastic housing properly. It's like it gets stuck somewhere in the plastic key housing and the pin won't lock the actual key part. It doesn't lock open or closed. It still functions to start the car, but it is annoying. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
My ignition key refuses to properly fold back into the plastic housing properly. It's like it gets stuck somewhere in the plastic key housing and the pin won't lock the actual key part. It doesn't lock open or closed. It still functions to start the car, but it is annoying. Anyone else have this issue?
Sounds like the locking mechanism has simply failed. Do you hear any loose parts rattling around when you shake the key? These key assemblies are put together very well and don't come apart without a fair bit of effort and sharp tools. Have a look at this video to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRoaas3HBM4

Stop that video at 4:20 (ayyy lmao!) and have a look at the little button you press that's sitting on the table. I'm thinking the tabs on yours may have simply broken off and no longer lock the key in place.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the odd part. If I fiddle around and flip the key part back and forth, sometimes it locks, sometimes it won't. But it usually acts like it's binding if you try to fold the key. No, there is not any rattling like something is damaged or broke. I'm assuming it's a warranty problem but I was just wondering if this was common and if others have any issues with their key.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ever hear about lint, ha, always after my girls to clean the lint filter in the dryer. But when I show it to them, ask them, should I put this in the trash or do you want to pull all the threads out and put them back in your clothes?

The designers of the Cruze remote are in the wrong field, should be designing lint filters for dryers instead because the Cruze remote is excellent for gathering lint. Even gathers in that groove on the key, and the key won't even work if some lint is in there. So always cleaning our Cruze remotes.

These guys are really good at creating problems that were never problems before. Also a long goodbye to a 75 cent replacement key.

·
10,713 Posts
Can't see the video from this comp but I had to assemble the flip keys for my conversion on my Subaru. They are slightly lesser quality but the spring is twice as strong; like torques in your hand strong. This is me comparing it to a 2015 Cruze flip key. My most used 2013 flip key has almost no spring retention now. I was debating on getting a new one and just transferring the guts over like I did for the Subaru one. I'll try to look at that video when I get home.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, is kind of like a baby switchblade knife, but don't let airport security know about this, they will take it away from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently purchased a used 2013 Cruze 1LT and one of the two switchblade keys was having the same problem you are describing where the key worked but would not easily lock back into place.

I took it to our local dealer and they determined that the key was slightly bent. They took it apart and fixed it for no charge. It now works as well as the unused spare key.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Remotes can be taken apart by removing one or two screws for a good cleaning, whoops, this is for all my other remotes. The Cruze remote like other plastic parts in the car are snap together.

I just run my thumbnail on the seams to unsnap it, if you use a screwdriver will leave tool marks on it. Contact side of the PCB can be cleaned with denatured alcohol, a film builds up so don't make good contact. Also good to clean the battery terminals. Uses a single 2032 watch type battery. Man these things are getting expensive, but what else isn't.

So easy to snap these things together again. Putting the key in a flat steel vise straightens the key out.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Speaking of those little flat batteries, I am assuming they are powered by the sweat from Kate Upton's cleavage, because they are crazy expensive. Anyway, I was going to buy one and noticed those long kids glow sticks by a flashlight display. They were selling them for $1.99. You know what powered this glow stick??? Those Kate Upton batteries! It came with 4 batteries in it and they fit perfectly into my garage remotes.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Speaking of those little flat batteries, I am assuming they are powered by the sweat from Kate Upton's cleavage, because they are crazy expensive.
You're buying from the wrong place. Google "CR2032".

I think they're about $2 at CVS. They're quite common. I've seen them used as CMOS batteries for desktops.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Going on fours years now with a Duracell 2032, still good measuring 3.3 volts, no name made in India that came with them didn't last very long. Not only the price, but how long they will last.

Purchase a remote entry for my kid's car from ebay for 12 bucks with free shipping. Came with two remotes each with two 2016 batteries in them for 6 volt operation. Also had crystal controlled transmitters and receivers, transmitter chips capable of over a million stored codes. Using name brand components. Ha, can't even buy four batteries that cheap, the blister pack they come in cost a lot more than the battery inside of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sooo, I don't think it's lint. Because I bought a replacement remote... Yesterday... And it already won't close, it was working fine then I started my car like normal and now it won't close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts