Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my cruze just over a year ago, it was used with 32,000 kms on it so for all intensive puropses pretty much brand new. Before I owned this car I had a vw jetta turbo diesel which was terribly unreliable and a 2006 Chevy aveo which was bullet proof. Nothing on that Aveo broke that wasnt a direct result of something I did to the car up until it died in a ditch at 230,000km's. I figured I had a chevy before that was awesome but everyone else said it was unreliable so why not get a cruze, hoping it would be just as reliable. I am starting to regret that decsion.

When I bought the car, first thing I noticed was coolant smell problem, heavy smell, unclerable moistured and a reddish haze on the whindshield. Had to take it to the dealer 3 times, once the water pump was leaking, next was a "leaking" heater core and finally they re routed the expansion tank vent to under the car and upgraded the hood seals. So now the moisture was gone and over time most of the smell was gone, if the heat was on max and I had it on defrost and floor I could still smell coolant so back to the dealer it went again. They told me it was the heater core again, which is false cause I have actually had a leaking heater core and it did much more then just smell a bit under very specific conditions. I had brought up the TSB about the grease which had ethylene glycol in it but I imagine that the dealer didnt want to deal with such a huge job. Shortly after I turned over the 60K warranty so thats all over.

In the past 9K I have had the bearings in the blower motor go on me, it just starts to tick when turned on. I have removed the cabin filter and the motor itself to check for something stuck in the squrill cage but it is all clear. I also walked out to my car and the passenger side signal marker was just hanging out of the bumper, the plastic retaining clip just broke. There was no shock to the car, no accident no nothing it just broke sitting there, how crappy do you have to make parts to have it break doing nothing?

I think the thing that bugs me the most is GM's fix for the inital coolant smell. I have never owned a car nor has anyone I know of that just vented coolant from the expansion tank under normal operation and GM didnt actually fix anything either they just moved it. On a new car I should not have to check my **** coolant level and carry around extra coolant like I would on an older car nor should I have to smell it on the outside of the car. If I smell coolant it should be because there is something wrong with the car like a leak not just an everyday "normal" thing.

After dealing with my car, although some of it might be small things and reading other major issues people have had with their cruze's I dont think the car has the ability to last as long as I want it too while remaing reliable. Am I prehaps a bit mistaken or is there anyone here in the same boat as myself. I plan on having my car paid off by the end of this year and I am trying to decide if I should keep it or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,151 Posts
What are you unsure about? The coolant smell is a know problem and I do not know that retracts from reliability. The car is still relatively new so we cannot determine l.t. reliability. Sure there may be a problem here or there but that is expected with any car(esp with new models). So long term reliability is a subjective statement. All I know I/we have not heard of any major issues that would suggest otherwise. Each car is different. One person could have no problems and another could.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I think the powertrain will be just fine, but I do have some concerns with the rest of my car. The HVAC system in particular seems to be very troublesome on the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
For me reliability is only based on mechanical issues or things that would take my car off the road. Doesn't sound like you have had any reliability issues yet!

BTW my blower motor sounds just like yours, since my bumper to bumper warrenty is over I will replace myself if it gets any worse. Part is $100 on rockauto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you unsure about? The coolant smell is a know problem and I do not know that retracts from reliability. The car is still relatively new so we cannot determine l.t. reliability. Sure there may be a problem here or there but that is expected with any car(esp with new models). So long term reliability is a subjective statement. All I know I/we have not heard of any major issues that would suggest otherwise. Each car is different. One person could have no problems and another could.
The car is still new yes but early issues on items that dont usually break (ie. plastic lamp housing and a blower motor) can be an indication of poor quality parts all around. I dont doubt the reliability of the power train, eco tech based engines have been bulletproof but there is more to a car then just the engine and transmission which can add up in costs over time. Also not impressed with GMs botched fix for the coolant problem, its not even close to a fix but if it keeps the most of their customers quite they will never fix it properly. I just hope nothing else goes wrong with this car, I read the forums often and see alot of people posting they have gone a few thousand miles without a problem like it is an accomplishment when it should be normal for a new car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
December 12, 2014 will be here instantly, the day my 36 month bumper to bumper warranty stops. Really doubt if I will even hit that 36,000 mile mark, with summer coming, I think, will be using my motorhome and Supra instead.

Was a black day in September 2007 when the warranty ran out on our 04 Cavalier, stepdaughter has it now, over ten years old, still has the original exhaust on it and has been virtually troublefree. Can only hope the Cruze will be the same.

Hundred bucks for a blower motor? Let me go back to 1973 when the blower went out in my 70 Buick, was six bucks from the dealer for a brand new one. But had two screws on it, removing it was the major job, stuck brush, so why should I pay six bucks for a new motor when I purchased two new brushes for 25 cents and was a dime a piece for two new bronze bearings? Plus could very easily put plenty of oil in those wicks. Lasted a very long time.

This was in the time where a lot of manual assembly was required, and pole pieces were the field coil type with lots of copper wire.

Today, molded ceramic magnets are used, cheap, no machining of those pole pieces, and the entire thing is welded and crimped together. Automated winding machines wind that armature faster than you can look at it.

If GM could have sold that high quality motor back then for six bucks, with Made in China, cheap crap materials, even with inflation, should be able to sell it for two bucks today.

Lot has changed since then.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
While I have had my fair share of problems as a new owner, I went with the Platinum $0 Deductible GMPP 'Warranty'. I got a special price that was way lower from a different Dealer and returned the original policy I bought on the date of service. Now I read what I did is supposedly not allowed. I have the new GM paperwork with a new policy number so I'm not too worried? As my CRUZE failed on the second day of ownership, this policy gives me peace of mind as I have concerns myself in hot weather!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
The water pump is the only component I can see giving me trouble as my car ages. Hopefully the pump I have now is finally designed to handle the stresses in the Cruze.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So far....with 6000 miles had been at the dealer for the following repairs:

Shocks.
Transmission leak.
Torque convertor leak.
Front axles.
Rear shocks.
Two thermostats.
HVAC problems. Has been at the dealer five times to solve the problem....problem remains and has been deemed "irreparable".
Numerous squeaks and rattles.
Buzzing speaker.
Interior panels scratch when touched with a wedding ring.
Started leaking oil this week.

IMO there is NO chance that this car will be reliable in any way shape or form. The most serious safety issue is for owners in the northern climates....windows freeze up completely in cold weather.

Thank goodness that my lack of faith in GM made me lease this thing. Two more years and they are more than welcome to have it back. I feel sorry for the next owner.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Bought mine back in 2011, only changed water pump and it was free from my dealer. Other then that the car runs amazing. Keep in mind I hardly drive the Cruze but I'm always maintaining it. Maintenance is key and if you "feel" a problem get it checked out ASAP . The little things count IMO I just hope my Cruze keeps up , I'm sure it will if you take care of it . With today's technology I can't see GM doing this but you never know

·
Registered
166 Posts
Bought mine back in 2011, only changed water pump and it was free from my dealer. Other then that the car runs amazing. Keep in mind I hardly drive the Cruze but I'm always maintaining it. Maintenance is key and if you "feel" a problem get it checked out ASAP . The little things count IMO I just hope my Cruze keeps up , I'm sure it will if you take care of it . With today's technology I can't see GM doing this but you never know
True, maintenance is the key....unfortunately mine fell apart before it was due for it's first oil change. Seems that it is the luck of the draw with these cars. If you get a good one they are fine, if you get a bad one it is unimaginably bad.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
I have faith in GM, North America baby !!!! All my trucks & cars are GM , including our work fleet......but I have to say the most reliable truck I have EVER owned (well my dad bought it for me when I first got my licsense lol) was a 2006 Chevy Tahoe LTZ. I destroyed that truck literally and never , never had not one problem. Since that truck I only buy GM. All my buddies laugh at me because I'm a GM guy lol. Stay positive people !

Reactions: RollinOn18s

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Yeah exactly man I'm sorry to hear but that's with anything in life.....you never know what could happen and unfortunately some of us have better luck then others and it just sucks. Hope all goes well with you brother, cheers

True, maintenance is the key....unfortunately mine fell apart before it was due for it's first oil change. Seems that it is the luck of the draw with these cars. If you get a good one they are fine, if you get a bad one it is unimaginably bad.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah exactly man I'm sorry to hear but that's with anything in life.....you never know what could happen and unfortunately some of us have better luck then others and it just sucks. Hope all goes well with you brother, cheers
Thanks man....like I said - I am glad I leased it. I used to bleed GM. Every vehicle I owned until about 2005 was a GM. Mostly Buicks and GMC Sierra. My last two Buicks were nightmares, so I did like everyone else and switched to Toyota. Had a 4Runner that served me trouble free for 200,000 miles until I sold it. Had a Camry that served me 120,000 trouble free until the day it was rear-ended and totaled.

So I decided to give GM another try as they were always my favorite.....well, not anymore. Not sure what I will buy next, but it will not be a GM.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
2012 Eco MT

I have some news regarding the Chevy Cruze's long term reliability. This is a list of all my repair work in the past 200k miles. This does not include regular interval scheduled maintenance. I realize not everyone will share the same success I have had with my Cruze. Everyday I appreciate the fact that I am driving a Cruze that I feel is working as intended and im very fortunate and thankful for that.

95% of the miles driven are highway/freeway.

30k AC Refigerant Recharge*******Warranty
100k Oil Pan Gasket ( oil leak )*****Warranty
105k Valve Cover ( air leak )*******Parts $ 90 Labor $ 140
180k Valve Cover ( air leak )*******Parts $ 90 Labor $ 140
185k Water Pump ( coolant leak ) **Parts $ 145 Labor $ 255
190k Purge Valve ***************Parts $ 35 Labor $ 130
*****************************Total $ 360 Total $ 665

Talk about insignificant repairs. A couple drops of oil from the bottom of the engine, some escaping air from the top and a couple ounces of leaking coolant.... big deal.

So there you have it roughly $ 1,000 spent over the past 2 years 200k miles for quality and gauranteed GM dealership repair work. Now I realize there are plenty of DIY capable community members able to cut costs on parts and labor. I dont feel so inclinded nor do I have the resources and im perfectly content with the relationship I have with my service agent.

Bottom line is, in my experience with the Chevy Cruze, it has proven to be a dependable vehicle and im proud to own one. Overall Im very satisfied with my long term investment, what more can I say.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
While I have been in contact with Nadeem at AG in Canada, I find my posts that aren't positive towards the CRUZE are deleted. I even had one admin infer that I was breaking the terms of service and spamming the board when I asked about the plastic hinge in the Oil dip stick which is very hard to insert. I think the CRUZE is a sharp looking Car and I wouldn't trust it at all on a long trip. I feel that I blew $20 Grand on a car that seems most unreliable. A copy of this will be sent to Canada. I am looking for help, not sarcasm by the designated helpers on this board. I could care less about the other regular trolls. JB called my thread stupid after first giving a great answer.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Think twice before you decide to leave GM as a customer and consider this simple and obvious fact. There are no guarantees with any car manufacturer that every car you purchase will be free of defects or problems down the road. Every automobile company deals with its own quality control issues.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I've already taken one 4,000 mile road trip in my ECO MT and I'm getting ready to do it again, stopping at Lordstown on the way to New Hampshire.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
While I have been in contact with Nadeem at AG in Canada, I find my posts that aren't positive towards the CRUZE are deleted. I even had one admin infer that I was breaking the terms of service and spamming the board when I asked about the plastic hinge in the Oil dip stick which is very hard to insert. I think the CRUZE is a sharp looking Car and I wouldn't trust it at all on a long trip. I feel that I blew $20 Grand on a car that seems most unreliable. A copy of this will be sent to Canada. I am looking for help, not sarcasm by the designated helpers on this board. I could care less about the other regular trolls. JB called my thread stupid after first giving a great answer.

Dang dawg Kiss a Frog ! Let me tell ya EDDYthat you are properly insured by your Warranty so get over it and take that cruzen for a long drive and gain some confidence in it ! To date I have been to PA. And Back driven to Dallas and Back . Averaged 29 .6 MPG in the city 40 + on the highway .

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't match CruzeEcoBlueTopaz's 200k miles, but I have about 17k on my Cruze and thus far the only things I've had to get fixed that weren't my fault were the brake microswitch safety recall and a water pump. The water pumps were a known problem, it looks like GM has redesigned this pump a few times since most of the junk pumps were built, hopefully they've finally fixed it (Coincidentally has anyone heard of a water pump failure on a '14?). Other than that, I just had to get a crap ton of suspension parts replaced thanks to a pothole on the interstate, can't blame the car for that, I'm still shocked and amazed that the tire and rim didn't blow.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts