Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of a company that does great work with porting and polishing. Grimspeed.

I emailed them and they said they would love to work on the 1.4L turbo/manifold and that if anyone is interested to email them.

If you are interested them pm me and I will give you their information.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
Grimm speed is great, they did the header on my LGT and the exhaust manifolds on my Trans am

·
Registered
2012 Chevy Cruze 1.8 (soon to be 1.8t) LS... white
784 Posts
Speaking of porting, flow and what not, does anyone know what combustion chamber design the 1.4T head has?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok ok. Someone can send them their intake manifold, throttle body, turbo/manifold, and own gaskets and they can get all the work done nd back to you in about a week and a half.

Not bad considering that the first person to pm me gets all that work done for free. All you have to do is pay shipping.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
He's not kidding, oshia86. If I didn't need my car, I'd be on it in a heartbeat... I've been wanting to see if someone would be doing this.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Ok ok. Someone can send them their intake manifold, throttle body, turbo/manifold, and own gaskets and they can get all the work done nd back to you in about a week and a half.

Not bad considering that the first person to pm me gets all that work done for free. All you have to do is pay shipping.
There really isn't going to be much you can do with a plastic intake manifold, other than maybe deburring sharp edges that air flows over you cannot remove any material without making it too weak to hold boost. If there is enough material in the throttle body, boring it out and adding a larger butterfly plate is pretty straight forward but gains on a mostly stock motor will be minimal. Porting the turbo manifold can also yield small gains but it can also add turbo lag depending if they port areas of the actual turbine housing as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, forgive me then. I've never heard of them. Did a quick google search and didn't find any porting results.

There should be no problem porting a plastic manifold, look at all of the LS 8 cylinder engines. Different application but GM doesn't make these things paper thin, or even smooth.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Well, forgive me then. I've never heard of them. Did a quick google search and didn't find any porting results.

There should be no problem porting a plastic manifold, look at all of the LS 8 cylinder engines. Different application but GM doesn't make these things paper thin, or even smooth.
The only porting done on plastic intake manifolds is opening up the throttle body flanges to be able to use a bigger tb or deburing or chamfering a few sharp edges in the manifold like i already mentioned. Yeah some LSX guys do it but they only see a 1% gain in power and none of them are removing material from all of the inner surfaces of the manifold and then throwing 20 pounds of boost at it either....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd probably wouldn't bother porting at this point. I'd rather ceramic coat the turbo manifold. Send it to Swaintech in NY or FFWDconnection OK.

Here's FFWD's work:

Cheaper, Good quality on exhaust iron coating, not so much on pistons.
I had them dual coat my evo 3 02 housing, evo 3 16g turbine housing, and my FP manifold.

FFWD Connection - Race Components That Will Freeze Your Brain

Or Swain

Little bit more expensive but not too much, but much better quality.
I had them dry film and top coat my 9.5:1 Ross pistons for my GSX.

What to Expect from Engine Coatings by Swain Tech for Automotive Coatings including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header
White Lightning Exhaust by Swain Tech for Automotive Coatings including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header coating

Personally I'd go with Swain.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The only porting done on plastic intake manifolds is opening up the throttle body flanges to be able to use a bigger tb or deburing or chamfering a few sharp edges in the manifold like i already mentioned. Yeah some LSX guys do it but they only see a 1% gain in power and none of them are removing material from all of the inner surfaces of the manifold and then throwing 20 pounds of boost at it either....

Ya, that's not really true. The LS2 intakes gay way over your 1%, as they are probably the worst LS manifold. The guy that installed the cam in my Goat ran a D1 Procharger with a completely ported LS2 manifold.

Here is his engine now. 408 6 litre iron block and adding an F1.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd probably wouldn't bother porting at this point. I'd rather ceramic coat the turbo manifold. Send it to Swaintech in NY or FFWDconnection OK.

Here's FFWD's work:

Cheaper, Good quality on exhaust iron coating, not so much on pistons.
I had them dual coat my evo 3 02 housing, evo 3 16g turbine housing, and my FP manifold.

FFWD Connection - Race Components That Will Freeze Your Brain

Or Swain

Little bit more expensive but not too much, but much better quality.
I had them dry film and top coat my 9.5:1 Ross pistons for my GSX.

What to Expect from Engine Coatings by Swain Tech for Automotive Coatings including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header
White Lightning Exhaust by Swain Tech for Automotive Coatings including engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header coating

Personally I'd go with Swain.
I might look into the ceramic coating, but Id have to find someone to disassemble the block...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hmm, I could rent a car for 2 weeks. If there was a 2 week guarantee.

I wonder how long it would take to remove all that stuff, if anyone in the Detroit area wants to do it with me, and if I had a place to store the car.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.