Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the hood and battery tray removed, seems like you could easily pull both the engine and manual trans as one unit.

Can anyone confirm this is the case, like no big surprises such as clearance issues (it appears you need to shift the engine/trans it to the passenger side to clear the frame just above the trans).

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Subscribed to follow this thread.

I haven't seen a thread here or over on the Sonic forums discussing this. As these cars are now 5-6 years old, there has to be someone who's maybe attempted this?

I've seen pictures of the entire wiring harness still connected to all the engine connectors, so I think there is an ability to disconnect the main harness by separating the fuse box under the hood, and removing the 3 large connectors.

I too would like to know if this comes out the top, or out the bottom. Of course the manuals have you dropping the engine and transmission on the subframe.

I'd be more concerned about damage to the radiator, intercooler, and Automatic transmission auxiliary cooler. With the bumper cover off that would make easy work of removing that assembly to keep it safe.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Thanks for the post, but Preloader seems to mention that he separated the engine and the transmission, and pulled just the motor out the top.

I'm thinking Steelmesh want's to remove the axles and pull the entire combo out the top. Looking at the automatic it would be close, but I think it would work.
He did, and when he did the trans swap he did it from the bottom.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the post, but Preloader seems to mention that he separated the engine and the transmission, and pulled just the motor out the top.

I'm thinking Steelmesh want's to remove the axles and pull the entire combo out the top. Looking at the automatic it would be close, but I think it would work.
I agree, I was thinking that =)

Sounds like Plan B will be to disconnect the trans if all else fails trying to lift the engine out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did a rebuild leaving it in my engine bay ^_^
Wasn't bad at all, no regrets

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this thread it old but when googling cruze engine removal it's one of the #1 results. This thread was never updated. Does anyone know if it was indeed possible to remove engine/trans out the top with the hood off without separating the engine and trans? Please advise.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'd also be interested in an update on this. I haven't done it, but I've seen pictures of complete engine trans assemblies on youtube and craigslist with the seatbelts still attached to the engine support lifting lugs.

What needs to be removed to do it though? Removing the entire engine mount on the passenger side flush with the timing cover will give you 1-2 inches extra play to go to the passenger side with everything.

My other thought with a driveway removal would be to remove the front bumper, the radiator and intercooler assembly, drill out the 4 spot welds on the bumper main bracket, remove bolts, and slide everything out the front.

More work yes, it is. However, given a garage or apartment setup where working on cars with a big project like this is frowned upon it might be doable. I remember someone doing an Altima out the front in an apartment building. You would never know the car was missing an engine.

Just some idea's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will make a write up while I attempt this. I was just hoping someone would stop me and tell me it's not possible. Would be real frustrating to attempt it and not be possible. I know dropping the whole sub frame cradle and disconnecting steering is another option, bringing it out the bottom as 1 piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4 feet if level.. my experience is working on fieros, always out the bottom. But I also have a lift. So I can get the car as high as 6 feet and level (only have 11 ft ceilings). But still considering out the top is easiest.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It's possible to get just the engine out the top, it's much easier on the automatic. Even with a lift, I don't drop the cradle to do an engine removal on an auto.

Getting the whole assembly out the top, with either trans...You'd need to be dedicated to doing it that way.

Why do you want to remove both at once, might help me provide more help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i need to replace the crankshaft seal, camshaft seals, front crank cover gasket, valve gasket. i also have a new oil cooler assembly for it. and would really like to clean the engine up from the oil mess. my transmission is going out (metal in fluid, failure to engage frequently). i have a salvaged one with 60k miles on it with a 3 year warranty i need to put in. with all of the task list, i was considering pulling as one to make life easier. working it all outside of the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm looking to pull my 1.4 soon and swap it. My plan is to take it out of the top. I already have the manifolds off, wiring harness disconnected, so I don't think it will be much more work to get the engine out. However, we'll see how it goes. :) I need to locate a used engine first, so might not be this week, but will be soon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bottom is always easier on fwd... if your going that far wouldn't you pay $40 for a front end alignment when your done?
That being said lots of room in our bays if you are careful out the top wouldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
With the hood and battery tray removed, seems like you could easily pull both the engine and manual trans as one unit.

Can anyone confirm this is the case, like no big surprises such as clearance issues (it appears you need to shift the engine/trans it to the passenger side to clear the frame just above the trans).
Check how I did a swap engine this summer, from the top. Mine was ECO MT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's possible to get just the engine out the top, it's much easier on the automatic. Even with a lift, I don't drop the cradle to do an engine removal on an auto.

Getting the whole assembly out the top, with either trans...You'd need to be dedicated to doing it that way.

Why do you want to remove both at once, might help me provide more help.
So is there a Video out there of someone removing engine ? Looks like I HAVE TO REPLACE ENGINE....

112K and motor bad on 1.4L torbo cruze

1 - 20 of 22 Posts