Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used Bully Dog in my trucks But I was wondering if anyone has used it in their Cruzes yet. Please I don't need any opinions on what's better or who you only recommend.. I just want a simply answer.. If you have it, do you like it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
A member on the sonic forum has one and posted a report on it.The commanded boost seemed to be not much more than stock as i remember.I am also not sure what bully dogs claimed gains are with it either? But i will say Bully Dog is a proven performer in other applications.If your interested i would email them and see what they have to say about it.Although i cant see the cruze having a good performance gain without running in the 18 to 21 psi boost range on 91 or preferably 93 octane.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I installed it Saturday and put 200 miles on the car. Pros- great features, nice size, technical service is OUTSTANDING! Keeps track of boost, timing, coolant, throttle position and MAF. Adds decent power, increases throttle response, and increases mpg. Cons- fuses have to be pulled to tune the car and file was corrupt from Bully Dog hense the reason for great support. Not as much power or torque as Trifecta but the car isnt' as tempermental either.
I had Trifecta on two other cruzes and the tune was better for power but there was alot of back and forth which took forever to get squared away. Im seeing about 14psi now on the premium tune which isnt the 20 Trifecta gives you but this is a daily driver and I think longterm effects would hurt the motor versus Bully Dog. Bottom line I would buy Bully Dog again. Hopes this helps.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift

As for the install, I just ran the HDMI cable thru the cubbie and creatively installed it. Its not moving anywhere! If anyone is wondering why its not higher up to see it sooner, it's because theres more than enough time to look down in a sixteen second car. :signlol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not doing anything wrong. Bully Dog does not alter boost, only timing, throttle response, etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bully dog claims more power but, only a dyno and mph at the track could verify that. For me its all about driveability in day to day life.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
For me its all about driveability in day to day life I agree 100% thats why i went with Vtuner.Never so much as 1 problem in 10,000 miles with his tune.And the only thing we did do is turn my power up slightly over the base stage 0. Back to Bully dog i am sure its a fine tune most likely your getting a sizeable TQ increase.I would think they turned up the TQ demand some what.With added timeing and most likely leaning it out to a little.Plus a tune done perfectly is not going to just demand full boost.Its only going to bring in enough to hit the TQ power target as set.I can run a max of 21 psi boost to hit a TQ target of 200.But i dont make that kind of boost all the time.It all depends on outside temps and altitude.Most of the time i run under 20 psi to hit the TQ target. Bully dog ups the TQ target and the engine has no problem hitting that target at 14 or 15 psi boost.My guess is i bet they set to to 165 or 170 TQ

Reactions: ShowCar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys. I appreciate the input. I am just looking to get just a little more out if out. I do drive this aggressively But not race car aggressive! I have 2003 Lightning for that!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Glad to hear your happy with it ! And enjoy the added ower

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Bully Dog Gt in my 2007 Silverado Classic and I like it a lot, but I am debating on installing it on my Cruze since its under warranty and don't feel like dealing with warranty void if you install it blah blah mumbo jumbo.. it does not have the ability to change shift points or firmness from what I have read and asked tech support that is a down side because I would like to have that ability. but I would like to have it hooked up to see what my boost pressure is since I have a slight surging issue with anything over 2/3 throttle trying preimum fuel before I give in or ask my dealer to install a current flash that I was told might correct the issue

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
First if you have a issue all you have to do is go back to stock programing.I am also sure Bully dog has a decent product.But i cant see not using the pros for tuning the cruze.Vtuner and Trifecta.I couldnt be happier with my Tune.Truly a outstanding tune for both the engine and trans.The ecm and tac (throttle actuator control) systems operate some what independently of each other. Adjusting to outside temps and conditions sometimes those systems my play a slight catch up to each other.That can cause slight surge.Also TCM trans control can cause that feeling to locking and unlocking the trans converter.That being said i run a aggressive 93 octane tune with the factory trans programing.I understand the nature of what the trans is doing.Its trying to deliver max power when needed and the best fuel mileage.Personally i dont mind that at all.But tuned the trans does feel much better to most people.But i also am going to tell you your going to get the best fuel mileage with the stock trans tune.So tune it up with one of the 2 best tuners and enjoy the car

·
Registered
91 Posts
Update- I've been driving the car more and the boost is between 18-19psi at WOT. My fuel economy has picked up to 35mpg too. It used to hover around 32mpg before the tune. Drivability has improved also. I only have the K&N SRI and Doug Thorley catback for mods (on since bought new)besides the tune. The fun factor has gone up! It looks like any of the tunes are worth the entry fee.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Great to hear that.Now it does make sense they did increase the boost to 18 or 19 psi.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do any tunes make the autoshift of the automatic transmission any faster? I push it to shift and it seems like it takes too much time to actually make the shift.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I cant say i noticed any difference trans tuned or not.Than again i let the TCM completely control the shifts more so.I see the manual type auto shift thing as a gimmick is about it.I find the stock trans program(TCM) is excellent at getting the most power from the engine (tuned).Provideing the engines power band is slightly extended.It will also give you the best fuel mileage to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update I installed the Regular tune about a week ago and well its ok i'd say it ranks with a eco style tune limits boost and the surge issue I had is gone but seems to have less power and the throttle response seems to be a little slower also in drive pulling hills I see around 6 psi at WOT but if you lay off the throttle and punch the throttle it will peak around 12 ish, now its very cold here lately below 10 F and im running 89 octane so im sure weather is having some factor on this and I will tell you with the gas in the area finding true 91 is about impossible and all gas now has at least 10% ethanol I will try to find some good fuel and see how it acts when it warms up might install the performance tune and run as well ..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thank god i have easy access to all fuel octanes here.For the most part the cruze even with the stock tune is crippled with less than 91 octane.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
With the bully dog you dont have to send in logs correct? Im nee with bulldy dog but ive always heard great things.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts